2020 POTD Thread Archive

friend called me to ask if I had any JB Weld. Turns out he broke a vacuum port nipple off his turbo intake manifold. JB Weld wasn't going to fix that, so I made him a replacement out of brass that threaded into the manifold. Added JB weld to help seal it and for extra security :)
IMG_9669.JPG

Finally got around to mounting the little chuck on the rotary table. I was a little trepidatious about popping four holes into the shiny new chuck face but couldn’t really think of a better way. And I was thankful it drilled nicely too, so no graunched up holes either. One more thing off the list, thanks for looking.

86D180FF-5A2A-421B-B6BE-351B3D563E4C.jpeg
CBF9C0A0-E272-4D65-835C-1B5DD48437C2.jpeg

-frank

@francist

That's a stout looking RT. Are there additional posts about it? Mfg./Model? Source?

It’s not bad. Not the best by any stretch but perhaps better than some. I bought it from KBC Tools about a year ago and did a short post on some of the clean-up and modifications I made to improve the performance. You can find that here...

I’ve used it a few times since and it performs alright. The added base section really adds functionality and is a must in my book for tight areas. There’s a short bit on it here...

@extropic Thanks for the interest.

-frank

Yesterday made a dial indicator holder for my lathe. Sawed off a piece of rectangular 0.75" x 1.5" low carbon steel to about 2.8". Faced the sides with a fly cutter. Milled out an "L" from the piece. Trimmed to 2.75" long. Milled out 3 0.25" holes, one at the center, and 2 0.5" from the ends. Counter bored the holes 1/8" from the inside to reduce SHCS stick out. (Didn't need to, but hey, my flea-bay counter bore set had just arrived. I wanted to use it!) Reused a piece of 1/2" hex stock that I had previously drilled and tapped for 1/4-20. Cleaned everything up, deburred the holes. It is really solid. Makes me happy just looking at it. Puts my late Dad's 0.0001" dial indicator to good use!
IMG_20200809_133156.jpgIMG_20200809_133240.jpgIMG_20200809_133313.jpg
If I get ambitious, it will go back in the mill to cut some 1/2" wide slots about 0.125" deep for the hex to nestle in. That way it will prevent rotation during assembly. For now, I'm just going to use it.

Yesterday made a dial indicator holder for my lathe. Sawed off a piece of rectangular 0.75" x 1.5" low carbon steel to about 2.8". Faced the sides with a fly cutter. Milled out an "L" from the piece. Trimmed to 2.75" long. Milled out 3 0.25" holes, one at the center, and 2 0.5" from the ends. Counter bored the holes 1/8" from the inside to reduce SHCS stick out. (Didn't need to, but hey, my flea-bay counter bore set had just arrived. I wanted to use it!) Reused a piece of 1/2" hex stock that I had previously drilled and tapped for 1/4-20. Cleaned everything up, deburred the holes. It is really solid. Makes me happy just looking at it. Puts my late Dad's 0.0001" dial indicator to good use!
View attachment 333125View attachment 333126View attachment 333127
If I get ambitious, it will go back in the mill to cut some 1/2" wide slots about 0.125" deep for the hex to nestle in. That way it will prevent rotation during assembly. For now, I'm just going to use it.
Nice work!

Well, sometimes the POTD isn't that pretty. Today, made a tee slot cleaner, which is not too pleasing to the eye, but it works, mostly... Found a piece of 1 -1/4" wide steel scrap. Chopped off about 6.5" give or take. This was a rusty ugly piece I found leaning against a wall in my basement. Played around with the mill to make something resembling a tee slot cleaner. Yea, it's ugly. It kind of works.

You see, the tee slots in my PM25MV mill aren't the same. Two of them are the same, and one is a bit larger. I think they replaced the worn tee slot cutter after they put in a couple of slots! So the cleaner fits one of the slots very nicely, but the others one has to rotate the cleaner. So it kind of works, but isn't smooth. Because of this, I didn't polish or clean this up very much. You know, why polish a turd... Hey, it's functional, but it's not my proudest work.
IMG_20200809_135121.jpg

Back