2020 POTD Thread Archive

It’s not bad. Not the best by any stretch but perhaps better than some. I bought it from KBC Tools about a year ago and did a short post on some of the clean-up and modifications I made to improve the performance. You can find that here...

I’ve used it a few times since and it performs alright. The added base section really adds functionality and is a must in my book for tight areas. There’s a short bit on it here...

@extropic Thanks for the interest.

-frank

LOL . . . It turns out that everything that caught my eye and made the RT special, are bits that YOU made. :clapping:

Nice work. Thanks for posting.

Haven't been on much, most of my "shop" time is in the Winter.

Managed to flip some stuff and put some cash in the Toy Fund and have been mulling over what to blow it o....uh ... "invest it in".

Little Machine Shop apparently has hacked my Toy Fund account as I got an email from them for a cam lock upgrade to the tailstock on my mini-lathe. Ordered it up and it arrived today. I was looking forward to a pleasant morning installing it.

Took about 20 minutes...:( Meant to take some pictures but it took longer to gather up the tools than to do the job. Works slick tho, I'm a happy camper.

That’s cool. FWIW.... as many guns as I’ve owned and often as I’ve fired guns, never touched a .50 cal.
I’ve been tempted many years ago to get one of those bolt actions...but thankful my impulsive behavior didn’t get the best of me that time. That was 25 years ago and they were around 1700.00 then.
Anyway, I’ve always been intrigued by that caliper. But it’s out of my league. I’d have to drive a good ways just to shoot the damned thing. I’m much mellower now. But there’s still something about a round with that range that still intrigues me. it’s just an awesome round, and yet.... I know I’d never need more than a 30-06 or a 308.
By the way....is it tungsten or depleted uranium?

I've shot my brothers .338 Lapua a few times, awesome rifle (Barrett I think) but very expensive. I can hit targets further than my brain can comprehend, I blame it on the massive scope. Fun day target shooting with big rifles......

Thanks to @Weldo as raised in this thread, I decided to use sendcutsend for a project. The idea was to increase countertop density in our kitchen by building up. My mom is a hobby potter, and made me a couple sets of matching bowls. I created a stand for them from 1/8" stainless, first modeled in Fusion 360:
fruitTower_v1f.png

(The middle tier uses a 3d-printed ring, as that bowl doesn't have a foot on it.) To output dxf files, model the part as normal then create a sketch at the end and project the part surface onto the sketch, so it gets all the features in one sketch that you then export as a dxf.

There was a bit of machining; I made some feet from 1/4" 304 bar just by turning down the ends to fit in holes drilled in the bottom plate:
IMG_3610_heic-L.jpg
IMG_3611_heic-L.jpg

Then it was a matter of welding the pieces together. I'm not a very good welder but tried to keep things to a minimum to avoid too much warping. Most of the welds turned out okay:
bowlstand_09-L.jpg

Finally, I spent some time cleaning up the welds and the surface to get a nice sheen. I now have a small understanding of what might go into making a really perfect surface. I didn't get there, but it's mostly pretty good:
bowlstand_32-XL.jpg

bowlstand_39-XL.jpg

And the final product:
bowlstand_46-XL.jpg
bowlstand_53-XL.jpg

@jwmelvin - Very Nice! The bit of artistry that went into the curves and shapes makes the whole thing.

An old Kraut like me would've just made everything square and called it good...:p

Dude! That is so cool!

This is what the internet should be about, people making and sharing cool stuff! I love it!

Magnetically attached chip shield:

1597277867295.png

Is this a good idea? Thumbs up or down? I don't want it to magnetize my vise. It may attract some chips but that should be managable.

Robert

EDIT:

I am afraid this is going to magnetize the vice which would not be good! I am contemplating some kind of aluminum spacer between the magnets and the vice to reduce the strength of the field lines. Work in progress...

Robert

Last edited:
Seems like it should work just fine. Personally, I like having full access to that area of my mill, but being easilly removable, I might find times when it would be good to have. Cheers, Mike

Turns out the tiller handle on my new grinding rest was too long. Kept getting in the way every time I wanted to do something and it wasn’t going to shorten up nicely so I had to make a new one. Feels a lot better now. The flutes ended up being a little on the aggressive side but like the saying goes, the first cut is the deepest, and then you’re committed. Thanks for looking.

98ACC453-8748-4BCB-8B0D-AEDDF399EBC1.jpeg

11F51FC9-5CB6-44A4-8393-6300420973D4.jpeg

-frank

Back