2020 POTD Thread Archive

Sorry about leaving out the link, and can totally relate to having too many projects. For anyone else interested here is one source link.https://www.theoringstore.com/store/ I have been able to get cylinder packing kits online (different company) for my backhoe which was built in 79 for about 1/10th what it would have cost from Ford. Mike

I've spent the past several weekends and some weeknights installing a 90 amp subpanel in my garage and dedicated branch circuits to my machines, and a few extra outlets scattered around. The last thing to connect is the 110 outlet for mill accessories and the VFD, but the power drops are there. I have to study up on my VFD and read through the threads before I start cutting and mounting so I get it right the first time. I'm thrilled with the locations and functionality.

View attachment 333819View attachment 333820
Nice clean installation. I really appreciate clean electrical installations. Nothing pisses me off more than when an “electrician “ butchers a panel job. Clean installations are safer and then easily added to.

I recently saw this lift on Instagram.

3b6cdec5f6ecdff0639c55de236568a3.jpg
I worked my first job at Canal Ford. All of their lifts were goofy single side post above ground lifts. They sucked. The service center was in a building designed to be a high rise on the foot of Canal Street and was going to be a Ford Motor Company showcase dealership with retail on the first floor and offices in the upper floors.
Anyway, Code Inforcement shut down the plans because the foundation of the building couldn’t handle a high rise. Or the price was prohibited. Anyway, ended up with a 4 story building with service on the second floor. So you could not have in Ground Lifts and they had to have above ground lifts. They were all Ford Branded auto lifts which struggled lifting 1975 Lincolns and full sized Ford vehicle. Plus,,, a real ***** to work on any under carriage stuff. Pulling transmissions was a real pain in the butt.
By the way, another thing I remembered when I looked at the picture again. Whenever a heavy car would get lifted by those old FOMOCO lifts.... on some of the lifts the car would get stuck in the up position. And we’d have to get the forklift to lift the outer half. Those old things were a nightmare. Maybe they are better Now. But I sure wouldn’t get one. I’d get a good brand 2 post above ground lift. Also, when I had my shop and in fact every place I have worked always had single phase hydraulic pumps. No need for three phase on a lift. 230v is just fine. All the Manitowok 2-post auto lifts at the Buick /GMC DEALERSHIP where I worked were single phase. Those were great above ground lifts.

Last edited:
I installed an X axis power feed for my Rf30 mill.
I wanted one that mounted on the right hand side and didn't cost a lot. ($136.00 delivered)
GEDC4565s.jpg

GEDC4563s.jpg

I had to make an extension for the drive screw and drill a couple of holes and it works so smooth now.

GEDC4564s.jpg

Ray

Turned out a few parts for Cub Cadet 3 point lift set ups with the restored 9A.
\Getting to know it a little better now.
Happy camper!! Except for all the plugging and unplugging because I still have no switch for it!!

DSCN8027.JPGDSCN8028.JPGDSCN8029.JPG

So I had ordered new oil ball points a while back from McMaster. Finally changed the bad one on my Clausing cross-slide nut. Picture of pulling old one out using a sheet metal self tapping screw.
Didn’t get the picture of the completed installation of new oil ball because I went down a rabbit hole.
I checked backlash of the screw and it was 0.070 so I took it down and checked a 5/8-10 Left Handed Acme threaded rod I purchased a year back from Roton Products.

and...now that’s what I’m attempting to do. Trying to get it to work as a replacement for the Clausing Cross feed screw. FWIW, the Roton threaded rod is really a nice product. I screwed it in my crossfeed nut and it’s a nice tight fit. For 28.00, I’m trying this because the eBay screws are going for over 200.00 on EBay. Some as much as 350.00 bucks. Too rich for me.
Im taking a few pictures so I’ll post this in the Clausing section. The repair is a little bit of a pain because I’m just not satisfied with the way my South Bend has been performing. I’ve reached the conclusion that I’m going to at least replace the Headstock on it with the headstock I have on my other South Bend.
That’s an entirety different story.....will discuss the SB at a later date.

Attachments

• 3E03BD55-6EEF-4435-ACFF-8BF886C5C155.jpeg
    3E03BD55-6EEF-4435-ACFF-8BF886C5C155.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 44
  • 5EAA7324-0FB4-4C03-A10F-D78CB181E385.jpeg
    5EAA7324-0FB4-4C03-A10F-D78CB181E385.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 46
  • 2B87719A-49D0-4862-B3B7-E2345C504110.jpeg
    2B87719A-49D0-4862-B3B7-E2345C504110.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 55
@Tim9
That picture of the new and old threads is very interesting to me.
The old one is more worn than I would have imagined. It almost looks like a V form thread, rather than acme.
I wonder how many nuts the old screw has worn out? What I mean is, isn't it expected that the nut would wear out significantly faster than the screw?

Not machinery per say. Drilled and bolted heavy angle steel for a shelf for when I install a new floor system off the end of the concrete slab. Then worked on the ‘36 Chrysler which had a fuel gauge that did not go to the full mark. Added a 1K 2 watt pot to the sender wire to ground and dialed in about 70 ohms and now a full tank shows full on the dash.
Pierre

Back