2021 POTD Thread Archive

This thing's gonna have a throttle response like a motorcycle
Nice work! Are those the OEM valve seats and sizes? It ought to breathe pretty well, ya?
The Samurai is a real sleeper of an offroad machine. It is the essence of the line I first read in Cur and Drivel years ago-
"Low mass is it's own reward"

1998 cheap grinder... wanted to give it a new look. Out of Rust Oleum Hammered Deep Green... so John Deere Green it is... I will repaint it Hammered Deep Green when that is back in stock...

I have three four ( :grin big: ) grinders. The idea is to have the grinders setup with different wheels... to minimize having to change them... So one with the two white aluminum oxide grinding wheels; one with buffing wheels; and one with Scotch-Brite EXL Deburring Wheel and a Wire Wheel...

Open to suggestions if there are better combinations to have setup and ready to go...

Photo of mine...
IMG_3336.jpeg

Forgot to take "before" photos... but this is what mine looked like...

IMG_3353.JPG

IMG_3354.JPG

And where I got to so far... letting it dry before continuing to re-assemble...

IMG_3344.jpeg

IMG_3345.jpeg

Edit: Here are the other two... I will paint them all to match the Grizzly color... I just realized that the covers are black on the Grizzly... hummmmm.... EDIT:EDIT: And the fourth one...

That Ohio Forge that I just painted (from 1998) is identical to the Grizzly...

IMG_3356.jpeg

Last edited:
Today's task in the garage was to fix the window on my brothers Ford. Its simple to take apart but it uses cheap thin cables one of which broke, i had couple of peugeot cables and one matched so i swapped it. I did looked at prices for new they are really expensive, and now with the thicker french cable should outlast the car :eagerness: .
IMG_20211110_220635.jpgIMG_20211110_221710.jpgIMG_20211110_223007.jpgIMG_20211110_221714.jpg

I started looking for the anvil in here... What is the best approach to get there? Small mill (G0704)

Start with two or four flute end mill cutter and follow with face mill? Or can I use just the face mill to get it to size?

IMG_3365.jpeg

This is the face mill I have...

Face mill.jpg

Maybe not a project, but setup and testing...

Making sure the blade is squared with the vise:

IMG_3357.jpeg

And testing using the blade that came with it:

IMG_3359.jpeg

I like that the vise is solid and not sheet metal bits welded together...

IMG_3362.jpeg
IMG_3363.jpeg

Not bad for the first cut...

IMG_3364.jpeg

I will strap the switch in the handle, so it is always on, and use a momentary foot pedal switch to work it...

Last edited:
I started looking for the anvil in here... What is the best approach to get there? Small mill (G0704)

Start with two or four flute end mill cutter and follow with face mill? Or can I use just the face mill to get it to size?

I think cutting the top of the track is a poor idea. Presumably, that area is work hardened, from tough service, so will hold up to hammering well and be difficult to cut with light equipment. If you want/need a flat surface to beat on, two options. Make a cradle to hold the track inverted or get a piece of plate stock.

I think cutting the top of the track is a poor idea. Presumably, that area is work hardened, from tough service, so will hold up to hammering well and be difficult to cut with light equipment. If you want/need a flat surface to beat on, two options. Make a cradle to hold the track inverted or get a piece of plate stock.

I’ve heard the same thing about track being very tough and also that you’d have a better anvil by turning the track on end so that there is more mass under the hammer.

Face mill should be fine. Start out easy, and see what it likes as far as DOC and feed. If you go with the end mill route, 2 flute would work best for this job. Mike

Back