2021 POTD Thread Archive

Safety shields where gone... and it had a broken support... Figured I would install the wire wheel where the support is missing...

One of the light bulbs was blown out... I replaced both of the light bulbs for LEDs.

The sticker!?? Hahahahah... I have a few from the other project that I am working on...

View attachment 389094

View attachment 389095

ya know, it looks like you have a lot of projects started.. I get the sense maybe your not finishing things.
I'll help you out by finishing that red Porsche, it's the least I could do. :grin:

ya know, it looks like you have a lot of projects started.. I get the sense maybe your not finishing things.
I'll help you out by finishing that red Porsche, it's the least I could do. :grin:

Yes... everything in my garage is a pending project... I need to start working again on those to get them finished. The red one needs the steering rack rebuilt again because I installed one of the seals backwards :rolleyes:... and I need to replace the transmission (I have a spare one ready)... but the lift is being used for the other car in Orlando (see photo)... I do not have a lift here in Ocala...

912-1.jpg

Finances permitting, I hope that I can build a small workshop in the back of the new house to move all the projects there and add one more lift...

Last edited:
Doesn't it get slippery on that floor when it gets wet?

Nope... Porcelain tiles with some grip to them. I tested them before buying them. Porcelain, so they are strong... and the best thing, they were US$0.78 each tile!

Also installed those myself... it is a miracle I finished that project!! ha! :p

Very strong tiles... I have done welding, grinding, drilled the holes through them for the lift towers, dropped tools (often :D}... nothing, nothing, not one chip off them!

Once a year I would get everything out of the garage and pressure wash them... makes them look like the day I installed them.... and in a few weeks the garage is a mess again, but what I can say...

dsc05150_medium.jpg

Last edited:
The floor looks great… but there is no way I could have that nice of a floor in my shop. I’m a concrete guy. I want to be able to smash something with a sledgehammer on my workshop floor if “need “be. Not really a need… just that I don’t have the patience to carry heavy stuff like a lower control arm or ball joint to a workbench just to beat it out.
But, don’t get me wrong. I get it. I’m sure if I were still married I’d have that kind of workshop floor. I do get it.

The floor looks great… but there is no way I could have that nice of a floor in my shop. I’m a concrete guy. I want to be able to smash something with a sledgehammer on my workshop floor if “need “be. Not really a need… just that I don’t have the patience to carry heavy stuff like a lower control arm or ball joint to a workbench just to beat it out.
But, don’t get me wrong. I get it. I’m sure if I were still married I’d have that kind of workshop floor. I do get it.
I'm still married, and I don't have that floor. My biggest thing is slipping.
I work in the basement, I put VCT tiles down. For years I didn't touch them, but I noticed that they were really getting raggy.
So I stripped them to clean them using scotch brite pads on a machine, then put down a sealer and polish.. SO STUPID.
My mats went flying. I was standing on the mat by the tablesaw (while running) and it just went.. with me following.
Over and over I kept slipping. Fell off a step stool, it slid out from under me... I hurt myself pretty good..

I have slipped on a plain concrete floor in the garage when wet. I went sliding 15feet during a rainstorm, I run volleyball at my house during the summer, 2 or 3 courts... it started pouring, I ran to the garage to get people in... I slid 15' that time.. Its not sealed, but when they did put it in, they didn't brush it, it's a smooth concrete finish...

I don't want to die sliding... A friend's father died from a head trauma .. It can happen.

I'm still married, and I don't have that floor. My biggest thing is slipping.
I work in the basement, I put VCT tiles down. For years I didn't touch them, but I noticed that they were really getting raggy.
So I stripped them to clean them using scotch brite pads on a machine, then put down a sealer and polish.. SO STUPID.
My mats went flying. I was standing on the mat by the tablesaw (while running) and it just went.. with me following.
Over and over I kept slipping. Fell off a step stool, it slid out from under me... I hurt myself pretty good..

I have slipped on a plain concrete floor in the garage when wet. I went sliding 15feet during a rainstorm, I run volleyball at my house during the summer, 2 or 3 courts... it started pouring, I ran to the garage to get people in... I slid 15' that time.. Its not sealed, but when they did put it in, they didn't brush it, it's a smooth concrete finish...

I don't want to die sliding... A friend's father died from a head trauma .. It can happen.

Having a non-slip surface was critical for me... same as being able to easily clean the floor. This checked all the boxes. And it was the most inexpensive route.

I have always tiled the garage in the houses we have had... The plan is to do the same in the new house in Ocala.

img_7389-sm-jpg.389162

That epoxy you see now, that was done by the contractor to cover crack repairs before we signed... don't get me started on that... I will be installing tile here as well... and getting a rubber mat in front of each machine... Getting old sucks...

making a new heavier duty vise stop. 1/4 - 20 and 5/16-18 The vice was originally tapped 1/4 -20 but there were some holes that were completely stripped out, so I opened them up for 5/16.. I like having the heavier size.. I only have the top, and left side with 5/16 the right side only has 1/4..
I needed a new knob for the starrett snug.. so here I am making one. I made a new rod, since the starrett rod was 5/16 - 20.. odd.
20211220_210221.jpg
getting ready to form the shape.
20211220_210716.jpg20211220_211258.jpg
snug knob pressed into the new knob.
20211220_212643.jpg
validating my layout... 6 finger grips like the Mitutoyo.
20211220_230131.jpg
finished the heavy duty stop.
20211220_234155.jpg20211220_234221.jpg20211220_230143.jpg

Made some cookies. My sister will be hosting on Saturday and of the five of us who will be there four of us sew, including my newly-converted brother-in-law. Sew I figured (heh, heh) I’d take some sugar cookies along. First I made the cutters out of a few scraps of copper, but technically that was last week already. First serious try at icing today though — not bad but could be better. For those who might not get it, they’re supposed to be spools of thread :)

-frank

1640128867553.jpeg

Back