2x72 belt grinder build

I'm guessing that the .875 diameter is to mount on the motor shaft. Keyway and setscrew(s) unknown at this time.

Also guessing, the 1.125-8 thread is the mount for sanding disc (separate feature from the .875 diameter).

I previously noticed a sign that referred to horses, but the previous post was the first time I've read you mention any. You're a busy guy.

Edit: LOL, typing simultaneously.
You are spot-on wrt the hub features.

We have 11 horses, 5 stallions and 6 mares at this point. We've been having some pretty wild temperature swings, up to 60 degrees last week, then rain and days with highs below freezing. That weather swing is hard on them, much more so that consistent cold. Colicy stallion was put out in the pasture again today, exercise is helpful. I'll probably need to tube another 5 gallons of water and laxative into him tonight.

@rabler

I see the drawing of the hub says "keyway and setscrew". How do you propose to create the keyway.
I have broaches. I'll probably need to turn a .875 plug and mill a slot. The keyway will cross through the threading, so I'll have to see how much of a mess of the threads that creates. I had originally thought of using a 1.25 x 8 thread, but was worried that the remaining wall would be too thin. On looking at the current result, I should probably go back to that thread.

I'll probably need to tube another 5 gallons of water and laxative into him tonight.
"tube" is farm short hand for passing a nasogastric tube into their stomach, and using a stomach pump to load them up with water, potentially with additives. In older times, (de-)wormer was often tubed into horses. As you might imagine, the horses resent having something the size of a garden hose shoved in their nose, although they do get more accustom to it. Care needed to be sure the hose ends up in the stomach and not the lungs, as pumping water or worst yet mineral oil (a traditional laxative) into their lungs is generally fatal. Had an older stallion some years ago that got tubed daily for a couple of months due to liver problems. He lived to be 36 years old, another 8-9 years after that treatment. That was ironically the sire of this one.

11 horses !!! You're a VERY busy guy.
Do you have to restrain the horse in some manor (squeeze cage?) to introduce the hose?

Good luck with the treatment regimen.

11 horses !!! You're a VERY busy guy.
Do you have to restrain the horse in some manor (squeeze cage?) to introduce the hose?

Good luck with the treatment regimen.
Usually tranquilize them first pass, and a halter, and let them take you for a bit of a bouncing around at times. Easier than floating teeth. Trick is to hit the right nasal passage, some blind sinuses that will bleed profusely if you get in there. Once you get past the first 6 inches they usually settle down. Never used squeeze cages on our horses. 'Another story when I use to help a vet in SE Georgia with field surgery.

I never expected to learn anything about equine husbandry on H-M.

I'm going to stick to metal/wood working. That way, I'm in very close communication with the owner of the only feelings, illnesses and blood involved, me.

Once again, good luck and let us know when things are flowing normally.

"tube" is farm short hand for passing a nasogastric tube into their stomach, and using a stomach pump to load them up with water, potentially with additives. In older times, (de-)wormer was often tubed into horses. As you might imagine, the horses resent having something the size of a garden hose shoved in their nose, although they do get more accustom to it. Care needed to be sure the hose ends up in the stomach and not the lungs, as pumping water or worst yet mineral oil (a traditional laxative) into their lungs is generally fatal. Had an older stallion some years ago that got tubed daily for a couple of months due to liver problems. He lived to be 36 years old, another 8-9 years after that treatment. That was ironically the sire of this one.
I thought that they were tubed from the rear end as in an enema to get their system going. I guess I saw that in a mash episode back in the 80s. Going through the nose has to be harder on them.

I thought that they were tubed from the rear end as in an enema to get their system going. I guess I saw that in a mash episode back in the 80s. Going through the nose has to be harder on them.
Common to go through the rectum to check for blockage or a twisted gut. Colic can be a catch all phrase. Rablers stud sounds like colic. Sorry to hear it. Is this the first time?

When you AI horses or cattle you guide the tube by having a hand/arm in the rectum.

What breed or breeds of horses?

Love the build.

Stallion has recovered fine. These bad weather intestinal blockages (aka colic) tend to have a better prognosis than general colic, but I treat them aggressively rather than waiting for them to get severe, but I can treat much of that myself with out dragging in a vet. Emergency farm calls are expensive so people often wait hoping things resolve. If they get badly dehydrated I’ll go straight to IV which rehydrates faster. Tubing allows administering a laxative so has advantages.

Rectal palpitation does allow some diagnoses in colic, and can sometimes help depending on where the blockage occurs. It also carries a risk of perforating the intestines which is fatal, so I generally don’t risk it. Doesn’t involve a tube though, just manual, and an arm length surgical glove.

You don’t need rectal manipulation for breeding horses unless you’re doing fallopian tube “deep horn” insemination. Rectal is used to do pregnancy checks either via palpitation or ultrasound. Normal equine AI just involves vaginal insertion. We do all of our breedtthat way, and when we lived in S.E. Ga the local vet occasionally brought people over to observe AI.

We have dessert Arabians, and used to breed them although at this point we’re scaling back, mostly via attrition, and neither of us ride anymore, so they are yard ornaments to a large extent.

Last edited:
Rectal palpitation does allow some diagnoses in colic, and can sometimes help depending on where the blockage occurs. It also carries a risk of perforating the intestines which is fatal, so I generally don’t risk it. Doesn’t involve a tube though, just manual, and an arm length surgical glove.

You don’t need rectal manipulation for breeding horses unless you’re doing fallopian tube “deep horn” insemination. Rectal is used to do pregnancy checks either via palpitation or ultrasound. Normal equine AI just involves vaginal insertion. We do all of our breed that way, and when we lived in S.E. Ga the local vet occasionally brought people over to observe AI.

We have dessert Arabians, and used to breed them although at this point we’re scaling back, mostly via attrition, and neither of us ride anymore, so they are yard ornaments to a large extent.
Majestic animals, my wife grew up with seven of them. My in-laws sold them off when the kids went to college; lost the free labor. My hats off to you for all of the work involved. I was out when you mentioned an arm-length surgical glove. Maybe I won't complain so much after my next prostate exam. Hope I never come back as a horse!

Bruce

Back