3 question IQ test - just for fun!

martik777

Active User
Registered
The Cognitive Reflection Test (CRT) has been hailed as the world's shortest IQ test. Apparently, it only takes three questions to separate the Einsteins from the Homer Simpsons of this world.

The quiz, developed in Princeton in 2005 by psychologist Shane Frederick, is designed to test your ability to ignore your gut response and think slower and more rationally. Or in psychology-speak, how good are you at ignoring system 1 (intuition) thinking in favor of system 2 (analytic) thinking? To succeed in the CRT, you must spend time reflecting on your answer and question your intuitive response.

Of course, to prove your genius you must get all three questions correct but speed also matters. Speedier answers is another sign of a higher IQ.

So, how smart are you really? Remember, the questions might not be quite as simple as they first seem. Even students at some of the world's top universities (including Yale and Harvard) failed to get all three answers correct in a 2003 study. In fact, only 17% achieved a perfect score.

The quiz

1. A bat and a ball cost $1.10 in total. The bat costs $1 more than the ball. How much does the ball cost?

2. If it takes 5 machines 5 minutes to make 5 widgets, how long would it take 100 machines to make 100 widgets?

3. In a lake, there is a patch of lily pads. Every day, the patch doubles in size. If it takes 48 days for the patch to cover the entire lake, how long would it take for the patch to cover half of the lake?

Here's the link for the answers: https://www.businessinsider.com/onl...tly-answer-the-worlds-shortest-iq-test-2018-5

I got them all right away. I asked them to my Wife, who got mad. Then I went and checked the answers, and got a chuckle from this.

$0.05 — There's a very good chance you guessed $0.10. The answer is actually a little less — a $0.05 ball plus a bat costing $1.05 will set you back $1.10. And, of course, $1.05 is exactly $1 more expensive than $0.05. (A Princeton study found that people who responded $0.10 were "significantly" less patient than those who got the right answer.)

If She reads this, I am dead.

I got them all right away. I asked them to my Wife, who got mad. Then I went and checked the answers, and got a chuckle from this.

$0.05 — There's a very good chance you guessed $0.10. The answer is actually a little less — a $0.05 ball plus a bat costing $1.05 will set you back $1.10. And, of course, $1.05 is exactly $1 more expensive than $0.05. (A Princeton study found that people who responded $0.10 were "significantly" less patient than those who got the right answer.)

If She reads this, I am dead.
You might like this one: https://www.mensa.org/workout

I got two of the three "official" answers, but I have a quibble about question #2. Consider this: suppose that the 5 widgets are the result of 5 SEQUENTIAL ops on those 5 machines. Then it would, indeed, take 100 minutes to make 100 of them. I looked at the question and saw ambiguity in the specification. The answer in the link fleshes things out by indicating that each machine is a "widget" machine, but, being a (partial) machinist, I also considered the more likely scenario that each machine only does a part of the required operations needed to make a widget.

So there.

as a young man, after successfully landing a stupid jump on my bmx bicycle,
i was once told, by a grumpy old timer walking by, "boy -if brains were TNT, you wouldn't have enough to blow your nose".
it hasn't got much better since :grin big:

I wanna know where you can by a bat for a buck ! The last Demarini bats were well over $300 and that was 10 years ago . :)

Back