3 question IQ test - just for fun!

I got two of the three "official" answers, but I have a quibble about question #2. Consider this: suppose that the 5 widgets are the result of 5 SEQUENTIAL ops on those 5 machines. Then it would, indeed, take 100 minutes to make 100 of them. I looked at the question and saw ambiguity in the specification. The answer in the link fleshes things out by indicating that each machine is a "widget" machine, but, being a (partial) machinist, I also considered the more likely scenario that each machine only does a part of the required operations needed to make a widget.

So there.

I really don't like question #2 either. It allows way too much to interpretation for those that actually use machines to make widgets. It doesn't fit the trick question profile like the others do so well.

The common person would never first wonder if the machines are in sequential, parallel or some other hybrid configuration or not.

I really don't like question #2 either. It allows way too much to interpretation for those that actually use machines to make widgets. It doesn't fit the trick question profile like the others do so well.

The common person would never first wonder if the machines are in sequential, parallel or some other hybrid configuration or not.
in school we have questions like that but there a hard to get it right because they don't say what configuration they are in.

in school we have questions like that but there a hard to get it right because they don't say what configuration they are in.
Most questions like this do not allow for creativity that is required to solve for real world problems. The point of academic questions like this in school is to get you to practice and flex your analytical muscles, so when the time comes that you get stuck on real world constraints - you are prepared to adapt and have an idea of where to start with the problem solving.

The comment on the first answer is telling. A Princeton study found that people who responded $0.10 were "significantly" less patient than those who got the right answer.
The implication being that If you are not very patient, there's a good chance you won't take the time to think about your answer or to double check it. This applies to the other questions too.

Of course, there is another possibility. The problem could be that you are over-confident in your answers. (I think some people would call that arrogant. I'm not mentioning my wife here, although for some reason she comes to mind...) You assume you are good enough to know the answer even if other people don't. Or possibly both...

Apparently I am both impatient and arrogant. Hey, at least I admit it. That's the first step, right?

I got all of them right. the machine one was hard to get through. My school said mine was 140( not bragging) but a ten-question one said it was 367? most of the online ones are so fake that it is funny.

Last edited:
Got 2/3. Apparently I was "significantly" less patient than those who got the right answer. :p

Back