3 question IQ test - just for fun!

These questions are all old bromides that occur over and over. Now that you have been through these answers, you're all geniuses the next time the quiz comes along.

I got two of the three "official" answers, but I have a quibble about question #2. Consider this: suppose that the 5 widgets are the result of 5 SEQUENTIAL ops on those 5 machines. Then it would, indeed, take 100 minutes to make 100 of them. I looked at the question and saw ambiguity in the specification. The answer in the link fleshes things out by indicating that each machine is a "widget" machine, but, being a (partial) machinist, I also considered the more likely scenario that each machine only does a part of the required operations needed to make a widget.

So there.

I don't think it matters if the machines perform sequential operations, or if each machine manufactures complete widgets. The problem states that 5 machines can make 5 widgets in 5 minutes. 100 machines can be thought of as 20 groups of 5 machines. At the end of 5 minutes, each group will have made 5 widgets. 20 groups times 5 widgets per group equals 100 widgets in 5 minutes.
John

If brains were gasoline, I wouldn't have enough to power an ants motor scooter around the inside circle of a Cheerio:(:grin:

my boss told one of my fellow workers, “ if I shoved your brains up a gnat’s a$$, it would be like putting a BB in a boxcar”, the kid did not seem to understand..................

I don't think it matters if the machines perform sequential operations, or if each machine manufactures complete widgets. The problem states that 5 machines can make 5 widgets in 5 minutes. 100 machines can be thought of as 20 groups of 5 machines. At the end of 5 minutes, each group will have made 5 widgets. 20 groups times 5 widgets per group equals 100 widgets in 5 minutes.
John
You are right. I went into the weeds and never came out :grin:

I also got all of the questions correct in only a few minutes. Used a pencil for the first one, but the last two were in the head almost instant.
BUT then, because I enjoyed the quiz, I started giving the test to family and friends. It did't work out well for me. None of my friends or family got more than one right and then they seemed to be offended when I told them I thought the questions were easy 8th grade level math. Stupid me.

I also got all of the questions correct in only a few minutes. Used a pencil for the first one, but the last two were in the head almost instant.
BUT then, because I enjoyed the quiz, I started giving the test to family and friends. It did't work out well for me. None of my friends or family got more than one right and then they seemed to be offended when I told them I thought the questions were easy 8th grade level math. Stupid me.
It certainly can cause hostility. I don't know why it should. It doesn't matter how you answer these questions.

Your avatar reminds me of another test which does matter. I suspect that anybody who scores poorly on this test won't express much hostility. And someone who does well may just remain quiet with a thoughtful and perhaps slightly worried expression. Look up MCI CDT. If you can operate a dividing head with hole plates, you should be able to ace this test.

Back