About to buy a Clausing Colchester 1336 Engine Lathe (Master Mark I)

Similar to the 13" in at work . :encourage: LO spindle mount .

If your British (insert type of machine here) doesn't leak oil, it's because it doesn't have any.

Somewhere I read that the early Yankees earned fame for being able to improve things…mainly British things.

I'm trying to sort out my transport options; I've seen weight numbers variously listed from 1200 to 2000; I'm thinking 1400-1600 and too heavy for my half ton bed. Any hard figue=res out there?

Brad
That is not to heavy for a 1/2 ton truck??? Most will easily carry 2000 lbs. The "1/2" ton hasn't been a true number since the 50's.

The problem will be getting it into the truck safely. You will need some type of loader/forklift or a heavy duty engine crane/gantry and hoist to lift it in, and out. A low deck trailer makes this obviously much easier and safer. Tie it down well. Helped a friend load one of his 15" south bends into a truck of some hill jacks from kentucky. They were not, and did not tie it down. I always wondered how far they made it?

Be careful what ever you do. Never put yourself in the line of fire while moving it. It would help to to remove all the weight you can. Ie remove the tail stock, cross slide and top slide. Also remove the hand wheels off the carriage before moving it. They are the most likely to get damaged in the process.

Unless you have a loader/forklift I would separate the lathe from the cabinet while moving it.

Colchesters are nice lathes. I have operated a few and in the 12-13 inch size I think they are my favorite. Smaller I would pick hardinge and larger leblonds or monarchs but in the goldie locks size the colchesters are just right.

I don't know about that specific model but some with the speed change dial a few years later did have an odd spring loaded head stock bearings that were difficult and expensive to get.

Last edited:
Welcome Brad.
Colchester lathes are made in England. They are very good machines.
Clausing is the US distributor.
I have a Clausing Colchester 15x50, made in the mid 70’s. I love it!
I think you found a nice machine.

Grab all the tooling you can!! The face plate on the floor and hopefully a four jaw too. The tooling can easily cost more than the lathe.
Keep us up to date on the purchase and the move. Lots of pics please :)
This from the listing: Here is a clause in Colchester 13 x 36 metal lathe it is in extremely good condition the bed is in perfect condition no signs of wear at all. comes with extras as shown 3 and 4 jaw chucks Collet chuck Steady rest follow rest and more. I checked for wear on the bed and I am getting .0002 along the whole length of the bed which is nearly perfect. head stock was disassembled inspected all gears are in good condition no broken or chipped teeth. the head stock was resealed and there are no leaks. I can load on this end

I had a nice phonecon w/ the guy, very legit. His biggest concern was finding a good home for it and not letting a flipper get it. He has to move to another state and has to let it go.

Brad

Unless there is an overhead hoist or forklift on both ends, I'd not use a pickup. There really aren't any lifting points unless a clamp for the bed is made as described in the manual.

I've rehabbed a number of English machines and it is true that the English woodworking machines are more complicated than US Iron but all metalworking machines are complicated. There can be some leakage on any old machine and if not bad i consider that to be an " automatic purge valve ". My experience with British stuff has been favorable enough that I don't run from it and have come to appreciate it.

Given the condition and your comfort with the buyer, i'd not hesitate. Do yourself a favor and buy a set of Whitworth wrenches and a cheap ( India ) tap and die set. The seller should be able to tell you if the machine is Whitworth and primarily BSW or BSF and BA. Don't try to make UNC work.

Dave

This from the listing: Here is a clause in Colchester 13 x 36 metal lathe it is in extremely good condition the bed is in perfect condition no signs of wear at all. comes with extras as shown 3 and 4 jaw chucks Collet chuck Steady rest follow rest and more. I checked for wear on the bed and I am getting .0002 along the whole length of the bed which is nearly perfect. head stock was disassembled inspected all gears are in good condition no broken or chipped teeth. the head stock was resealed and there are no leaks. I can load on this end

I had a nice phonecon w/ the guy, very legit. His biggest concern was finding a good home for it and not letting a flipper get it. He has to move to another state and has to let it go.

Brad
Praise be, may all sellers be enlightened souls who like me dislike flippers and dealers.

Back