About to buy a Clausing Colchester 1336 Engine Lathe (Master Mark I)

That is a nice looking specimen Brad. I too just acquired a Colchester I'm picking up tomorrow and sweating having to move it with two strangers versus having my brother along as I normally would.

You dont mention what voltage the motor is, but most variable speed conversions out there are 240v 3 phase. I highly recommend the TECO-Westinghouse L510-203-H1-U if your motor is a 3 phase 240v motor, and your input voltage is 240v single phase. Lots of resources out there to help support you should you need help on the L510, versus the chinese VFDs, which so very often dont work as designed
All I know at this point is 3PH; but glad to have a recommended solution since I am completely new to VFD. I'll be definitely looking for guidance.

Brad

Somewhere I read that the early Yankees earned fame for being able to improve things…mainly British things.
LOL some of the old Colchester literature (Post WWII) refers to "being up to American standards". At the same time there was apparently some degree of variability machine to machine in the same run: the tighter tolerance machines would then be tagged and sold as "Toolroom Quality"!

That is not to heavy for a 1/2 ton truck??? Most will easily carry 2000 lbs. The "1/2" ton hasn't been a true number since the 50's.

The problem will be getting it into the truck safely. You will need some type of loader/forklift or a heavy duty engine crane/gantry and hoist to lift it in, and out. A low deck trailer makes this obviously much easier and safer. Tie it down well. Helped a friend load one of his 15" south bends into a truck of some hill jacks from kentucky. They were not, and did not tie it down. I always wondered how far they made it?

Be careful what ever you do. Never put yourself in the line of fire while moving it. It would help to to remove all the weight you can. Ie remove the tail stock, cross slide and top slide. Also remove the hand wheels off the carriage before moving it. They are the most likely to get damaged in the process.

Unless you have a loader/forklift I would separate the lathe from the cabinet while moving it.

Colchesters are nice lathes. I have operated a few and in the 12-13 inch size I think they are my favorite. Smaller I would pick hardinge and larger leblonds or monarchs but in the goldie locks size the colchesters are just right.

I don't know about that specific model but some with the speed change dial a few years later did have an odd spring loaded head stock bearings that were difficult and expensive to get.
My truck is 2010 Tundra; specs for my model list a cargo weight of 1550# and I take up a share of that as well so I think a trailer is the solution. Good advice, thanks.

Unless there is an overhead hoist or forklift on both ends, I'd not use a pickup. There really aren't any lifting points unless a clamp for the bed is made as described in the manual.

I've rehabbed a number of English machines and it is true that the English woodworking machines are more complicated than US Iron but all metalworking machines are complicated. There can be some leakage on any old machine and if not bad i consider that to be an " automatic purge valve ". My experience with British stuff has been favorable enough that I don't run from it and have come to appreciate it.

Given the condition and your comfort with the buyer, i'd not hesitate. Do yourself a favor and buy a set of Whitworth wrenches and a cheap ( India ) tap and die set. The seller should be able to tell you if the machine is Whitworth and primarily BSW or BSF and BA. Don't try to make UNC work.

Dave
I need education on the Whitworth and related acronyms; remember I'm a newbie!

Hopefully the seller can fill you in as to whether the threads are Whitworth. Whitworth was the British standard until about 1970 or so. The tread angle is 55 rather than 60 degrees like others. A UNC screw will thread into a Whitworth BSW ( except for 1/2" ) but not the other way around. I generally don't mix and match as the holding capacity is only about 70% if sticking a UNC into a BSW. A way to tell is to pull a screw or bolt from the machine, measure with a thread gauge, and then try to put a regular nut on the bolt. If it doesn't go, it's likely Whitworth. You will also find the hex head sizes are very slightly larger than UNC or UNF so wrenches fit tight. that is why I picked up a cheap Whitworth wrench set.

Google is your friend here. An hours reading will tell you most everything you need to know. It might turn out that the Clausing machines that were made for export used our thread system and all of this is irrelevant. I specialize in irrelevant. Dave

file:///var/mobile/Library/SMS/Attachments/9a/10/2C923727-990F-4628-B2CA-74EF4378D2D5/68952576713__6D7E5558-C35D-4245-9907-2E834D9DBC57.heic

Attachments

• 0836C35E-C668-4AFC-89E1-E23AC1D29446.jpeg
    0836C35E-C668-4AFC-89E1-E23AC1D29446.jpeg
    436.8 KB · Views: 6
I think it's a design feature, a "partial loss" system. No need to change the oil, just keep it topped (and mopped) up.
My Colchester has a double wall apron that has o-rings that seal the shafts. They leak a bit but no big deal.
I sure wouldn't want to tear it all down just to replace the orings.
I priced a tailstock replacement lead screw and nut, $1,000 and up.
I figure I can make the parts some day when I am feeling my oats, or not :)

My Colchester has a double wall apron that has o-rings that seal the shafts. They leak a bit but no big deal.
I sure wouldn't want to tear it all down just to replace the orings.
I priced a tailstock replacement lead screw and nut, $1,000 and up.
I figure I can make the parts some day when I am feeling my oats, or not :)
I think mine being a round head vs flat is late ‘50’s/early 60’s and has the open apron sadly.

I think mine being a round head vs flat is late ‘50’s/early 60’s and has the open apron sadly.
Yeah, I think my square head came in around 1972??
They are all very well made machines!

Back