An Apology

I think a vast majority of people are thin skinned and want to be offended so they can feel good about themselves by changing a behavior of someone else to suit their sensibilities.
With all due respect, I don't agree with that at all. I believe in the good of most people, but the outliers (vocals, radicals, etc.) create the issues for our society.

Oh, I specifically signed in from work during my lunch break to read the joke thread. I must have missed the jokes that offended me. ;)

A few days ago, I posted some memes in the joke thread... I thought they were just humourous memes, but apparently the subject of those memes is currently wrapped up in political controversy.

I honestly did not know that.

I have always made a serious effort to keep political content out of my postings... if I had known of the controversy, I would never have posted them.

However, I DID post them... and apparently offended some other members... I don't know who, I didn't get back on here until the site staff had already cleaned it all up. I take full responsibility for that and would like to apologize and ask for forgiveness. It was never my intent to offend anyone for any reason. I am sorry...

Over a couple of days, I had a friendly conversation with one of the staff members that ended with me deciding to pull out of the joke thread altogether. This staff member asked me to reconsider that decision...

So I have spent a lot of time thinking about it... and have decided that there are two things that I will not do:

A. I will not risk offending anyone else...the Bible admonishes us "If it be possible, as much as lieth in you, live peaceably with all men" (Romans 12:18). Plus, the joke thread is supposed to be funny... offending people sort of takes the 'funny' out of it.

B. I will not thoroughly research the subject of all memes/ jokes that I want to post to see if there is any controversy surrounding it that I don't know about. I won't do that... that would also take the 'funny' out.

With that being said, I've determined that my first decision was the correct one... going forward I will read the joke thread (Hey, I like a good laugh as much as anyone) but I won't participate.

Someone else will need to step up and keep the bacon memes coming...:)

Again... I am sorry... all I can do now is ask for forgiveness.

-Bear
I simply attempt to avoid purposefully taking aim at anyone; but, regardless of what I do I will still hit a few folks, not my intentions. The 2 things I have learned folks get butt hurt over at +/- 50% every time is Religions and politics, many have no sense of humor there and thing else is a crap shoot. My philosophy is to move on if I find something distasteful unfortunately we now have the eternal victim class we must contend with.... Your stuff is good with me Bear....

This case isn't the same, but this thread reminds me of the issues with comedians and cancel culture. I posted a joke about a year ago that didn't get me in hot water with staff but prompted a thumbs-down response from one of the members. @682bear, I read all the jokes and never found one of yours offensive or even close, but then, I'm like @Bone Head and @mmcmdl. I'm curious how many complaints to staff it takes for them to contact the poster or if there is a formula or rule. I would have thought we'd have seen some negative comments on your post(s), but I don't recall any - then again, I have Mad Cow (joking) and am too lazy to go back through them to see.

I'm glad those who no longer post in the jokes thread still read them, and hopefully, you will post again someday. I'd hate to see the thread atrophy and die. I am guilty of not posting some jokes I think others will find insensitive. I suppose that is the checks & balances and best for the group, but one or two people should not wield more power than the masses. This is the only forum I regularly follow, and I feel I know most of you enough to say you are good people. I'm all for walking to the line separating humor from offense and even stepping on it, but the line is nebulous at best. Like you, my intent is humor, not offense.
You know a thumbs down can mean many things. It doesn't have to mean someone didn't like it.

I am OK with us working to have a forum that everyone is comfortable with. I would also note that we all know that if things don't go right, we just learn from it keep going and try to improve. This applies to machining as much as it does learning the grey line of forum life. Bottom line, don't leave.

Bear, you are being too hard on yourself. In today's climate many comedians are finding it difficult to practice their trade. I have meant people who came from totalitarian countries. They did not dare to express any sort of opinion in their former country. As I tell people, Go read the first amendment of the U.S. Constitution. it is my right to be offended. Think about it.
Now that being said. If I write something that might be bit too much offensive or political. I'll think about it before posting it. I can always delete it and not post it. Even so I still can develop a bad case of hoof-in-mouth disease. Just ask my wife.

Bear, you are being too hard on yourself. In today's climate many comedians are finding it difficult to practice their trade. I have meant people who came from totalitarian countries. They did not dare to express any sort of opinion in their former country. As I tell people, Go read the first amendment of the U.S. Constitution. it is my right to be offended. Think about it.
Now that being said. If I write something that might be bit too much offensive or political. I'll think about it before posting it. I can always delete it and not post it. Even so I still can develop a bad case of hoof-in-mouth disease. Just ask my wife.
My wife calls it something else but it sounds like the same affliction.

Back