An Apology

No offense taken.
I must deal with more difficult types of people than most to come up with my conclusions.
Come to Kaliforinistan, someone will soon show and tell you how and when to be offended

You are not kidding. I live in the LA area. Cali is unto a world of their own. The change has been staggering these past 10 years. It all started around 1980. Slight changes. Then every decade more insane. Last 10 mind boggling.

Cutting oil is my blood.

Bear,
Thank you, I very much appreciate your apology to the membership. I know It took a lot of courage and good character to say that. However, and not to detract from your effort, it wasn't necessary. It was an honest oversight, you didn't break any rules and you remain a member in good standing. I sincerely hope you reconsider you decision to leave the jokes thread, you have been a valued contributor.

Members,
This was an unusual case, in that the memes were not overtly offensive or in violation of our policy. However they made a veiled reference to a newly emerging, politically charged, conspiracy/controversy. Another member responded with a rant echoing that controversy, thus we pulled the memes. I didn't even know of the political meaning until the response was made, I had to look it up.

The reason this site works so well is because we don't allow divisive content, politics being the main culprit. So, having one of your posts pulled or edited, is not necessarily a bad thing, it also serves to protect your ideological anonymity.

Remember: if you see content that violates the site rules please report it to us, do not respond to it directly, We'll take care of it.

Thanks,

Eddy

I've been meaning to post this picture for a while now but I always stop myself for a couple of reasons: it may be considered by some as political, or may offend a group who do not see it remotely funny and start questioning the political views of those who might like it.
So do you think stuff like this can be posted?
alto-jpg.jpg

I've been meaning to post this picture for a while now but I always stop myself for a couple of reasons: it may be considered by some as political, or may offend a group who do not see it remotely funny and start questioning the political views of those who might like it.
So do you think stuff like this can be posted?
View attachment 477266
@Ken from ontario - now that's just funny!

I think this thread is a great example of why this forum is the best I have been privileged to be a part of for so long. I want to echo all of the warm sentiment offered to @682bear...Bear, please do not stop posting your funny content.

I read through @Eddyde's explanation of the recent dust up. It sums up perfectly what happened. I also read through the many varied comments about a few specific topics, namely:

1) No Politics rule,
2) Moderation duties
3) Free Speech and Constitutional Rights.

At the risk of being controversial, I'd like to offer some additional staff insight as a good faith effort to restate our No Politics rule.

First the no politics rule. We are currently discussing in the staff lounge a revision of our lengthy list of rules and I can tell all of you that the No Politics rule is always a fun one to revise. What is true for every staff member dedicated to keeping Hobby Machinist friendly is the following intention behind our rule. We are surrounded by politics, drama and controversy everyday. Our families, our neighbors, cable news, our politicians, our workplace, co-workers, the newspaper (if you still read it) or your favorite follow on "X" - everyone has a hot take on why they are right and you are wrong or why you should be a member of this tribe and be mad as hell about what that tribe is doing to keep you down. What makes Hobby Machinist special is that it is the one place we all can rely on to NOT be inundated with politics and controversial topics. The topic here is making chips; THAT is the spirit of the rule.

Second. Moderation duties. The spirit of the rule is what guides our actions. I won't repeat what @Eddyde already stated, but perhaps with that in mind, you can see why the net of moderation was cast wider than just the controversial posts responding to @682bear's meme. As some others have said, moderation can be a no-win proposition, but if we can preserve our no politics rule, then I'll take the loss. One piece of criticism that I would like to speak to is that moderation of speech is akin to an illusion of control for those of us in the job. I can't think of a time where I ever thought that moderation was controlling anything, but only ever a cleanup job to preserve the no politics rule. After all, moderation of the posts Joke Thread today will absolutely not prevent another member from violating the rules in the future. Therefore, we (the staff) have to be very comfortable having no control over your actions. We are setup men, referees and a cleanup crew, that's it. With that said, we always try to communicate with members when their content is being moderated and explain why their posts are edited or deleted.

Finally, Free Speech and Constitutional Rights. As someone else rightly pointed out, this is a private organization and is not run by the government. Therefore, nobody's speech is protected in the way Americans think they should be - NOT that we are looking for speech to suppress. Quite simply, we have rules members agree to abide by when they join. I have a strong aversion to editing posts, deleting memes, or stifling any protected speech. My wife jokingly calls me the gestapo when I have to moderate. That stings! The truth is that it goes against all fibers of my being to moderate posts and I work hard NOT to. But in most cases, we are just cleaning up violations of the rule.

Are we suppressing speech? I've toyed around with the idea of proposing a political sandbox here on H-M, just so those of you who need to can scratch that itch.

After about three seconds, I come to my senses. That action would take away from what makes Hobby Machinist special. And I hope all of you take time to reflect on the following: if we did so, we would be pretending to control the discourse in a moderated sub-forum. We would be pretending there is no controversy in those sub-forums, because the controversy is "over there." We would be pretending there are no politics because we "have it under control here." This would bring the outside world of politics (which is an illusion in and of itself), to the inside. Do you really want that?

Our philosophy is to keep the politics and controversy "out there" and "out of our control". See? Simple! Our strategy is to abstain from politics with you - not for you. And that is why we ask you to agree to the rules when you join.

To not engage in this type of discourse and to engage with like minded people about a common, shared interest - it is a high bar in this day and age. I'm quite proud of the fact that in a world where there are one million places to talk politics - we are politics and controversy free here.

@682bear keep 'em coming!

I would think this site being a machinist site that the joke thread would really not be forum themed . That said , if you are here for jokes alone and not here to contribute to the H-M interests , than move onto a joke forum . I believe we all love humor and nothing posted would intentionally be posted to discriminate , put down , etc any of our members . This joke thread is for your viewing pleasure only . Reading the joke thread has nothing to do about the purpose of this site . Maybe we should post a " Read at your own risk " to the title . The admin on the site keep quite busy monitoring this entire site . Their time is not compensated . We're not a for profit site . Keep this in mind when our one Admin has to deal with all of this to keep everyone happy . Nels created this as the friendly site , and it will be that way . Think before you post . This is not Tictok or FB and the rules are rules . @vtnc has his hands full as we all do . Let's give him a break and let him do his real purpose that he chose . Keep this website friendly , keep it free for those who don't want to donate , encourage questions as there are no dumb questions , and keep in mind we have some top notch members on her that contribute their opinions daily . Nels would be darn impressed as where his site has gone I'm sure . We can't let a " joke thread " taking us toward the other side " . My hats off to the mods .

Back