An Apology

If you're offended by a post in a joke thread, I submit that you need to stop reading joke threads. You're not mature enough for it, if you can't think "Not Funny", and then move on to the next. It's a joke THREAD, not a joke post. Life is too short to pander to the humorless.
And moderators detract from the forum by removing the posts. You think you're stopping political discussions, but what you're really doing is enforcing yours. It's kinda gross.

I should know better…

Last edited:
My feeling is that most who are "offended" are really wielding power to silence those who they disagree with. It gives them a feeling of power and manipulates the forum to cede it's authority to them.

Forum owners are free to control on-site behavior. There is no constraint on that power. The Constitution limits government from interfering with free speech for a very good reason. Without freedom of speech, society can run amok, and the world has seen numerous examples of that in the recent past. Healthy discourse (including especially jokes, because they speak to truth) is necessary for balance. On a larger scale, healthy discourse is under attack by those seeking to silence others whose speech conflicts with their opinions. It can be a difficult path for a forum owner to allow healthy discourse without over-controlling that discourse.

"With great power comes great responsibility."

And moderators detract from the forum by removing the posts. You think you're stopping political discussions, but what you're really doing is enforcing yours. It's kinda gross.

I appreciate the moderators removing all political posts anywhere they are found, and find great value in having a web forum where politics is off limits. You moderators think you’re enforcing the forum rules and you’re doing exactly that.

To the OP, I wouldn’t think too hard about it. I’m sure no apology is necessary. Rules are rules, and that’s all there probably is to it.

Life is too short to argue with or be offended by people we will never meet. But it’s easy to get drawn in. When I start feeling that way there is always something to make/break/build in the shop.

And this is the best joke thread EVER.

With all due respect, I don't agree with that at all. I believe in the good of most people, but the outliers (vocals, radicals, etc.) create the issues for our society.

Oh, I specifically signed in from work during my lunch break to read the joke thread. I must have missed the jokes that offended me. ;)
No offense taken.
I must deal with more difficult types of people than most to come up with my conclusions.
Come to Kaliforinistan, someone will soon show and tell you how and when to be offended

I have to say that I am 100% behind our moderators. I have been on forums with weak or unenforced rules and it is not my cup of tea. Quinn on Blonde Hacks says that Chamfers are what separate us from the animals. It may also be good forum moderation :)

Forum moderation is a thankless job and a no-win proposition. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. That said, I completely agree with the actions of the mods here. It shouldn't be necessary in an environment populated by adults, but left unmoderated the slightest difference in opinion can devolve into endless quarreling to the detriment of the board. It's a lesser-of-two-evils sort of thing and I think our mods are making a pretty fair and even-handed approach. You can't please all the people all the time, but the loss of a few jokes (even if they didn't offend me) is a small price to pay for having a humor thread that continues without turning into an endless battle between a handful of belligerents.

GsT

Back