Another Tool & Cutter Grinder

I been waiting for six weeks for the electric box for this project ( it is coming from China). I am going to have to look for another I guess, as I want to get back on this grinder and finish it up so I can use it. The cherry cabinet base for it is almost done. The only major thing left is the electrics.

I finally got the electrics box in the mail today. I can now get this project finished up. My good friend Ray has made me a solid cherry cabinet with a drawer that has full extension ball bearing slides. The drawer will hold the collets and fixtures. The grinder will sit on top of the cabinet.
cabinet 1.jpg cabinet 2.jpg cabinet 3.jpg cabinet 4.jpg This cabinet is beautiful. He finished it with spar varnish to stand up to the shop environment. I have two pretty chrome knobs to go on the drawer front. The grinder will set inn the recess in the top. The inside dimensions of the cabinet are 18 1/2" wide and 16 1/2" deep. The three edges rise up to hide the edges of the machine base.

plate.jpg I had the local engraving shop make me this plaque to go on the drawer front. I gives all the grind angles for every end mill (almost). The picture doesn't do it justice. It is black with bright silver etched lettering.

Tomorrow I will get the machine into this cabinet. The grinder weighs around 150 pounds or more.

grinder on cabinet.jpg I got the grinder set on the cabinet today. I had to take the grinder apart and reassemble it on the cabinet as it is so heavy, I could not pick it up at all. I put the guide plaque on the drawer front and the knobs. I am going to make a rack in the drawer for the 5C collets. I have a piece of 1/4" thick Plexiglas for a rear panel on the back of the cabinet. I will get it mounted and get the controls mounted after that.

I don't know if you can tell in the photos, but I installed a 1/4" thick Plexiglas panel on the rear of the grinder. there is an aluminum angle upright on each side to support the panel. I have mounted the electrical box on the upper right corner. the power cord comes out of the rear of the box.and the motor lead enters the bottom of the box. I love these power switches. they are like a self contained magnetic starter. the have a coil inside and pressing the green button momentarily, pulls the coil in and the stop button drops it out. The switch breaks BOTH sides of the power line. the red paddle is removable if you should not want it. At $12 , I will be putting one on all my equipment. I am geeting it wired up and will be making a wheel guard also. It won't be long til this baby is grinding tools. I weighed the beast and with the cabinet it hits almost 225 pounds. I cannot move it by myself. It stays put on the bench well too :grin:.

grinder 8.jpg grinder 9.jpg
There are a lot of small details to be done yet. I am plugging away at them, but there are four projects in progress at the same time. This grinder, the tool post grinder, I am making several grinding fixtures ( the most complex one is the radius grinding fixture) I am helping a friend with his lathe , and of course the surface grinding project. it keeps me occupied :grin:

Mark would you post a link for that switch, never seen one of those before.

Back