Atlas Horizontal mill

Sorry, it's 5C. I've used it on the Atlas shaper as well as my full sized mill. They are pretty versatile. Unfortunately, the one I got (a Japanese made one) didn't have any reference surface to index on on the bottom plate, so you have to dial indicate it in every time if you need it to be very accurate. None of them I have seen pictures of looked like they had any reference surfaces on the base. I need to machine the base to eliminate that problem at some point.

Unfortunately, the one I got (a Japanese made one) didn't have any reference surface to index on on the bottom plate, so you have to dial indicate it in every time if you need it to be very accurate. None of them I have seen pictures of looked like they had any reference surfaces on the base. I need to machine the base to eliminate that problem at some point.

Got a picture of what you're describing? I don't understand what you mean..

I may be wrong but I assumed that he meant that it didn't have a key machined on the bottom that would automagically align it with the table slot. Like some of the Atlas made accessories do.

I may be wrong but I assumed that he meant that it didn't have a key machined on the bottom that would automagically align it with the table slot. Like some of the Atlas made accessories do.

Yes, OK.. that makes sense now. Thanks Robert.

Yes, as well the sides are as cast, so you can't use them for alignment by putting a key in one of the t slots and putting it against that before clamping.

I was turning out some T-slot nuts yesterday and noticed the speed chart on the cover.
It shows 3 pulleys. But, what? Wait a minute.....

Opened the cover to verify, yep... we've only got 2 pulleys! Funny I never noticed it before tho'!
I don't really care, I never change the speed anyway, it's way to hard since the countershaft mounting has the shaft to close and leaves no clearance
to move the belt. I think it's just funny I never "saw" it even after I had the head all apart!

That's a great link! Lots of interesting reading, thanks.

The Marvin rotary table looks much more capable than the Atlas table, but I expect the Atlas table wold do most of the things you would want to do on a horizontal mill or shaper. There's not as much call for being able to rotate the table while machining on a horizontal or shaper than there is on a vertical mill, for cutting arcs, say. I've only seen a couple of those come up on Ebay over the years and they tend to go for a pretty penny.

I was turning out some T-slot nuts yesterday and noticed the speed chart on the cover.
It shows 3 pulleys. But, what? Wait a minute.....

34/40,

What is the machine serial number?

Back