Billet aluminum bat

A couple of heavy mil contractor trash bags, place bagged ice into them and pound away.
Worked back in the day when I prepped coolers for the roaming beverage carts at the golf course.

The bags hold up, it's the bats that don't last, unless you use spikes. I sold my boat, but never left the harbor with less than 15-17(max 22) 50 lb bags. The vendor packs the bags from the machine, and stores them in a large walk in freezer so they last, but that is where the pooled water comes from. I loaded ice mostly once a week. sometimes 2. My boat started out at 25', and was lengthened to 30', and the fish box was not that big. My partners boat is a custom 34', and he loads 20-30 bags 2 x a week, and can hold 50 bags maxed out. There's not enough hrs in a day to be a fisherman, pack, and freeze your own ice. So we're trying to build a better mouse bat. :)
We often pre soften the bag for better conformation in the box, but from the freezer, and being held in the box they refreeze, and have to be softened again. When your on the fish, ya gotta hustle to make money. Thanks for all of the ideas.

I like the idea of filling a store bought aluminum bat with something. Sand maybe, lead shot if your really serious.
Drill a hole in the grip end, fill only the fat end then pour in some epoxy or resin to make a "plug" (keep the weight in the fat end).

I used to " end load " the kid's bats when younger until they made rules against it . Guess Mike doesn't have to worry about it ! :grin:

He has tried using something in the big end, if it's hard it will crack inside, if it's soft the bat will give. We're not in to foundry work yet...

Last edited:
What will a solid aluminum bat weigh? I'm betting too heavy to be used as a practical bat.

2" x 22" with the handle about 5" x 1" then the taper, with about 6"-8" hitting head :dunno:
He said that he had an all black wood bat at one time that he liked, but it did end up breaking. I think it might have been ebony, and about this size.
This is an exercise in machining......

Sounds like a project Mike ! :) Got wood?

Or aluminum ? :grin:

The hard part is the material, the rest is playing, and getting experience. :) 2" x 24" with free shipping is still 75 bucks landed here for 2 pieces.

I'll check tonight , I'm sure there's sumpin in da scrap pile ! ;)

Back