Billet aluminum bat

I believe the only way to make money as a machinist is to either make very unique parts that you can charge a lot for, or have an extremely efficient process so you can really cut down on the time.
Most companies I've talked with tend to have CNC machines that run around the clock just to keep the output up, cheaper than having machinists manually making things.

That bat looks absolutely amazing though, I have no use for one but definitely wouldn't mind having one! :grin:

Thank you, I'm a hack at best, if one item comes in on spec, it won't on the next:grin:
I hope people don't get the wrong Idea, I don't want to be paid for this, it's just amazing the setup, work, and cleanup that is all part of the process.

Cleanup is the part that many machine shops skip, but that is OK, lack of maintenance is what keeps me employed doing repairs.

OK I have made a total of 3 bats, and I'm learning a lot, the first one is a bust. The 2nd one has been evolving, and I have gotten some new extended reach MT drill bits. I made a 3rd bat practicing what I'm learning, and there are still some rough spots turning the taper. This was started on a whim, I brought in some 2' 6061 bars and have had a good time, not necessarily fun though. It has taken me with practice to be in the 4 hr zone for production, so any thoughts about making money where not in my head. Anyway my friend has been making use of the bat, and likes it, I have plans for refinement for better balance, but everything has it's own little setups, that's why I'm in the 4 hr zone, and could probably do better with practice.

So now the issue, 3 people that have seen my friends bat, and are offering me 100 bucks each for a bat, and I agreed just to them, but they're telling me more guys may want to get one too, 100 dollars, is ok. This is crazy....

Eventually, you'll get a lot faster and the bat will be better balanced and be easier for you to make. At that point you'll make a little money. Who knows? This might turn into a nice little side line for you, I hope.

Ooh, sounds like you are now in the bat business! :encourage:

We shall call you Bruddah Batman now. :)

Unexpected for sure, parts, and labor I'm at 18.25 an hr, not amortizing machine, and electricity.

Once you have the design down, and know what the market is you can either make them yourself or farm the work out if you want to make a business out of it.

My guess is you can go down to the docks and count boats to know how many you're likely to be able to sell. Since your design is an improvement on something that used to break your market will dry up as soon as everyone who wants one buys it from you. Unless that is you can figure out how to get them to use it over the side of their boats ;)

If it were me I would never put my name on it or give anyone a receipt. Or, try to claim it on my taxes....

Put the cash into a coffee can and use it for buying new tools or cold beverages.

John

Sometimes the reward is just solving a problem....

The potential is there to make a few more here, but if it goes to another island, and they want some too??? Or it could just kaput right away, I'm not running out to buy a new lathe just yet....20" of bat, and 14" drill bits, is backing the tail stock way back on a 28" bed, I took out the stop bolt already :)

Back