Bought an Everlast PowerTIG 250EX

If he was promoting the welder he was doing a pathetic job. I think every manufacturer has upgrades, but upgrades to make the equipment function is sad.

The frequency adjustment do-hickey does the same thing as the arc balance knob.

You seem to have latched onto one person's comment ("Mr. TIG" of all people :rolleyes:) that the units are not "functional" to suit your own purposes. You should know that a Lincoln Square Wave TIG 175 doesn't have frequency or balance knobs and that the two knobs -if they did exist - don't do the same thing. As the owner of both machines I can say that the difference between them is huge even this early in the game. You are entitled to your opinion of course and have made it known where you stand with the facts as you choose to interpret them but your starting to sound more like a troll. It's hard to tell on the internet since you don't get a face or voice to go with the words. I also own 4 welders but that doesn't make me an expert on the subject beyond cramming a lot of stuff in a small area.

Mine has been a dream to own. Personally from what I've heard and read the Everlast support is way better than the blue or red guys machines. Besides, you could probably buy 3 or 4 of the Everlast machines for the price of one of the others!

-brino

I respectfully disagree, Brino. I have owned a slew of Miller and Lincoln and used both in industry. Lincoln customer service was o.k. and not much more.

Recently, I had a technical situation with my MM252 and called Miller. I was transferred to an engineer who was responsible for the product line including the 252. He said that he wanted to replicate my issue in the lab including wire brand, gas mix and run in settings and get back to me. Two days later, I get a phone call from Appleton, Wi. with a solution. I'm pleased.

I am biased to Made in America and I can't afford a machine that's going to leave me stranded. It doesn't make sense to buy two or three machines just in case one breaks down or the next container ship hasn't arrived in port, or won't for another month.

My "need" comment was regarding the weld, not the machine. You can produce the same high quality weld from the transformer machine. As I stated, the Lincoln probably didn't have the circuitry. Most of the problems encountered in welding have nothing to do with the machine, it's simple welding basics, and if we miss these we miss a lot. Welding machines are sold based on whistles and bells, with electrical theory that's above the training of most welders. No, I'm not slighting anyone. i.e. I tell my welding salesperson; Show me how the crater fill feature works on my machine. I'm still waiting. If you don't stop and fill the crater at the end of the weld bead, a switch on the control panel isn't going to do it for you.

I agree. I have seen the big 3 used in industry and not much else. I'm sure Everlast makes a fine hobby machine though.

I can and do occasionally change the freq on my machine but grew up on an old Syncrowave 351 and an even older Lincoln Squarewave boat anchor. Anymore, everybody is a few Youtube videos from being a welder.

I haven't tried out the newfangled suitcase inverter welders. Maybe they're alright, I might be missing something. I'm still happily using my old Miller Syncrowave 250 that weighs about 300 lbs. Had it for about 25 years. It has a lot of knobs to twiddle with, does all kinds of cool stuff to the arc. I'm sure the new ones are much simpler. Now if I could just see what I was doing I might be a welder too :grin:

You seem to have latched onto one person's comment ("Mr. TIG" of all people :rolleyes:) that the units are not "functional" to suit your own purposes.
You are correct, Mr Tig is only one person and this wasn't the sole reason for my comments. I asked you why you were buying a machine to weld aluminum when you already had one. To be specific in my bias, it's Americans complaining about our economy yet the run to H-F or another supplier who have taken their production or manufacturing to the Asian market. The technology used by Everlast has been around for 30 years and Powcon got it right the first time, yet Everlast struggled on their startup as if it was new technology. The issue was poor quality and poor quality control.

I'm aware the 175 doesn't have a balance knob but most machines with A.C. TIG capabilities have some form of frequency balance. I never stated the Everlast 250 EX and it's features wouldn't help you produce a better weld. My comments were directed to helping you become a better welder. i.e. Why do the different processes use different currents and in D.C. different polarities? My comment about four welders was based on what I use them for and the processes. I have a portable gas unit I use for SMAW and FCAW, I have a 250 Synchrowave I use primarily for GTAW, a Millermatic 200 for GMAW and a small Hobart 120 MIG for the light duty out of the shop jobs. As I stated, they are specific for the processes not for whistles and bells, and I'm not inclined to or have the urge to run out and purchase another based on the latest YouTube pitch.

There are advantages to inverter systems and one specific is current control. Transformers deliver based on the input and welders are aware of this, so adjustments need to be made. Inverters keep a more constant current and they also allow for different voltage inputs which have it's advantages. Inverter models allow for jobsite work without concerns for which power might be available.

I haven't tried out the newfangled suitcase inverter welders. Maybe they're alright, I might be missing something. I'm still happily using my old Miller Syncrowave 250 that weighs about 300 lbs. Had it for about 25 years. It has a lot of knobs to twiddle with, does all kinds of cool stuff to the arc. I'm sure the new ones are much simpler. Now if I could just see what I was doing I might be a welder too :grin:

It is a sad day Jim when you finally give in and buy some cheaters for your hood. I thought my Speedglas 9100xx was junk and stepped up to the 9100xxi for better clarity.......still couldn't see. A $5 set of cheaters and I can see like I was 18 again....doh!

I have a plasma cutter on my wish list, and suggested to someone that when they purchase their welder that having the plasma cutter feature is worthwhile. This lead me to ask about the difference between the transformer and inverter type machines. Failing to get an answer I went on-line and the first google response was a video by "Mr. Tig" I know it's not fair to judge a channel by only one video but I have to say I wasn't impressed.
I don't have an opinion one way or the other, regarding what machine is best. I'll keep my Squarewave 175 and if I get a windfall I'll look at a combo inverter box with a plasma. (but I think a box and pan brake (finger brake) is higher on the list of new want to have toys :) )

Holes, I didn't look up the unit that you just bought, does it have the plasma cutter?

Mike

Mike I started with a Lincoln multi process machine, getting multiple machines for the price of one sounds brilliant in principle but in reality it didn't work out so well. The Lincoln MIG was okay but the TIG process was a joke.

The Everlast PowerPro 256D is the TIG/Plasma/Stick version of my PowerTIG 255ext which just does TIG/Stick. The 256D costs $450 more, has ridiculously short torch and ground cords for Plasma that will need upgrading, oh and is only rated HALF the duty cycle of the 255ext on TIG. So if you look closely you really don't get multiple machines for the price of one.

I'm looking at Hypertherm 45XP, guys experienced with plasma cutting tell me Hypertherm is the king of plasma cutters. $1,672 no compromises, long cords, ready to go out of the box.

I am biased to Made in America and I can't afford a machine that's going to leave me stranded.

To be specific in regard to Made in America, I'm not promoting an isolationist or protectionist attitude or approach. America and all countries of the world have been global traders for centuries and before, limited only by transportation modes. I'm not promoting the idea that America produces only quality products because we don't. Whether the product is made in America, north or south of our border, across the Pacific or Atlantic Oceans, I'm promoting building and purchasing a quality product.

A few weeks ago we had a thread where someone was asking how much machinists earn. The bottom line is in too many cases, not enough. If you wish to be a hobby machinist then that's all well and good but the machinist trade isn't built on a foundation of **we build junk** and **that's good enough**. I support labor and the person who works hard every day for their earned paycheck, so I'm not inclined to support someone who's total ball game, from the first pitch to the final inning is manufacturing their product in a sweat shop.

I respectfully disagree, Brino. I have owned a slew of Miller and Lincoln and used both in industry. Lincoln customer service was o.k. and not much more. Recently, I had a technical situation with my MM252 and called Miller. I was transferred to an engineer who was responsible for the product line including the 252. He said that he wanted to replicate my issue in the lab including wire brand, gas mix and run in settings and get back to me. Two days later, I get a phone call from Appleton, Wi. with a solution. I'm pleased.

Hey, that's great!
I am glad you've had great support with yours.

I was merely trying to dis-spell the myth that machines openly made elsewhere have no support. I did a bunch of research before buying my Everlast. Then and since I have seen little negative about their quality or support. In fact, most of what I see is that if someone does have a bad pedal they get sent a new, heavier grade one next day and keep both. One guy had a delay in either the cooler or a cooled torch and they sent him an air-cooled torch immediately for free as a temporary work-around. I myself sent an email about 10pm on a Friday asking for a PDF version of the manual as it wasn't yet on their website (and I was worried about setting my paper copy on fire!) and within minutes I had it in my inbox!

Also, as said above, I'd bet that the circuit boards in the red and blue welders are also made in either Mexico or China.
And I say that as a happy owner of a Lincoln MIG machine.

-brino

Back