Bridge Crane build

So, is that red/orange line at the top of the wall a rubber hose or Pex tubing? Looks sort of like oxygen barrier pex, which is used for air in the garage here.
It is red PEX, not the oxygen barrier type, used for compress air. Eventually I hope to get the VMC in the lower right of that picture running, so I'll need it for that. Need to rebuild the controller on that first. And some disassembly and cleaning. Crane may come in handy ...

It is red PEX, not the oxygen barrier type, used for compress air. Eventually I hope to get the VMC in the lower right of that picture running, so I'll need it for that. Need to rebuild the controller on that first. And some disassembly and cleaning. Crane may come in handy ...
So it sounds like we'll be seeing more projects in the future! It never ends, does it! ;)

Bruce

So it sounds like we'll be seeing more projects in the future! It never ends, does it! ;)

Bruce
I'm having fun, so I'm not eager for it to end :D
Some projects already in the works, in various stages of completion:
VMC rebuild
RPC Monitoring system (because the VMC is power hungry)
Rotary Table controller

These two lathes are functional but really need some work
Monarch 12"CK
Monarch 612-2516

This one is a pile of parts, rebuild interrupted by shop build
Monarch 10EE

Two surface grinders that are not functional, work needs to start ..
Doall 6x12
Thompson 12x24 (?)

I'd also like to add a power drawbar and one shot oiler to my mill. And I'm sure I can come up with a few other small projects.

VMC rebuild
Rotary Table controller

Monarch 12"CK
Monarch 612-2516

Monarch 10EE

Doall 6x12
Thompson 12x24 (?)

I'd also like to add a power drawbar and one shot oiler to my mill. And I'm sure I can come up with a few other small projects.
Always good in retirement to have "a few" projects!

Bruce

VMC rebuild
Rotary Table controller

Monarch 12"CK
Monarch 612-2516

Monarch 10EE

Doall 6x12
Thompson 12x24 (?)

So, looking over my pile of 'round-to-its, I don't feel so bad anymore! lol.

I ran over 350 feet of Pex-Al-Pex for air. Did some reading and apparently some pex will creep over time with 100+ PSI in it. That led me to go with the Pex-Al-Pex, as the aluminum layer really stiffens the Pex up. It doesn't allow it to swell up, etc.
For crimps, I chose the copper crush rings and doubled them up on each joint. Broke down and purchased the crush ring tool. Just didn't quite trust the other crimp style rings with air.

Knock on wood, haven't seen a leak yet and that's going on 5 years or so. Pex is really nice to run, just pull it like romex cable through the wall. I did pitch to keep water from pooling up if it condenses out.

So, looking over my pile of 'round-to-its, I don't feel so bad anymore! lol.
:D
I have more, those are just the ones that are more or less of interest to this forum. But, I am retired, so I do have a few more hours to in a week to tackle things. At least that's the theory.

. I did pitch to keep water from pooling up if it condenses out.
Yeah, I have some sags in mine that could be problematic. Another thing on the "round to it" list. I had not seen that on the O2 barrier PEX, I'll keep that in mind for future projects.

Last edited:
But, I am retired, so I do have a few more hours to in a week to tackle things. At least that's the theory.
Figured it's best to at least try to get a head start on this stuff before I retire. If the shop is ready for retirement, then I can have more fun building things, other than the shop!

One of our kids just graduated from HS this weekend, so it was a pretty busy weekend with family, etc. I did look at the bridge crane some, or at least moved machines out of the way of the gantry beams against the wall. Might start working on that again soon, if car repairs ever end!

Figured it's best to at least try to get a head start on this stuff before I retire. If the shop is ready for retirement, then I can have more fun building things, other than the shop!

One of our kids just graduated from HS this weekend, so it was a pretty busy weekend with family, etc. I did look at the bridge crane some, or at least moved machines out of the way of the gantry beams against the wall. Might start working on that again soon, if car repairs ever end!
hey don't sweat it, changing the shop is part of tinkering... it's all good. I love my shop time building something, or just moving things around. Either way I am always trying to improve my work, and workflow. And the workflow improvements never end. Something needs doing, it's a new project. And when retired, anything to keep you busy.:encourage:

I'm sure I will run out of time on the planet before I run out of projects, but like woodchucker said it's all good. Mike

Back