Broken Atlas 10F Countershaft Pulley 560-060 / 9-427

Well, the same comments would hold for the other three washers and the 3 collars. Do the collars have a similar groove and are the other three washers felt and with an ID greater than 3/4"?

All three of the collars are the same as the the one in the pic with the groove and the washers much larger than the shaft diameter. The felt washers OD is the size of the OD of the bearing race and the ID is a little larger than the actual needle bearing cage. The ends of the bearing race looks to be machined to a nice smooth surface for the felt to ride on. You can see in the pic how much bigger the washer is compared to the shaft size.It's a nice old school system and actually works quite well. It's too bad they didn't make the replacement pulley with the groove to accept the washer
Just to be clear there are only 3 collars and 4 washers as shown in the parts diagram.

Last edited:
OK. I will try to get the missing dimensions now that I know how to ask. And yes, only 3 collars. The 4th one is replaced by the pulley.

Here is the pic of the bearing side of the pulley that Clausing sent me.

Attachments

• 3E647515-42CF-4544-A3BA-4702D2D8912C.jpeg
    3E647515-42CF-4544-A3BA-4702D2D8912C.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 5
OK I have gotten from Clausing the drawing for the 9-427 Countershaft Pulley. It has the dimensions on it for the groove for the 9-111 Felt Washer. It is in Downloads under the Atlas/Craftsman folder and under Drawings, Atlas Lathe. With that drawing, you can modify one of the late 560-060 pulleys to fit an Atlas 10" or early Craftsman 12" lathe. Tom said that he didn't know why they did not include the groove on the hub for the washer, especially as if you order a 9-427 they will substitute a 560-060.

OK I have gotten from Clausing the drawing for the 9-427 Countershaft Pulley.
That's a good print. The dimensions agree with what I measured/reversed engineered from the 9-427 when I cast and machined my made-from-scratch version of the 560-060. The only difference in my version is it is 1.375" overall width instead of 1.25" so as to make machining the v-groove on the included side of the pulley more practical. Those dimensions do vary a bit from the member generated sketch for the 560-060 in the downloads.
Tom said that he didn't know why they did not include the groove on the hub for the washer, especially as if you order a 9-427 they will substitute a 560-060.
It'd be easy enough to machine those grooves into your pulley. Just mount it on a 5/8 shaft in your 3-jaw and have at it. I don't think the felt washer does much other than maybe some modest oil retention. The 3996 cabinet models actually have a thin shim/washer on the countershaft that isolates the groove/felt washer from the opposing bearing face and the 4-step pulley on the other side has no felt washer groove. There is an oiling cup on the central shaft housing that gets oil to all surfaces. Mine hasn't slung any oil. Just don't over oil and it will be fine without.

-My 2 cents.

Best,
Kelly

Also, remember that in the original configuration for the 9", 10" and early 12", the countershaft pulley with the face groove for the felt washer used straight roller bearings and grease for the bearings, not bronze bushings and oil. And the three collars that position the roller bearings have the same groove for the 9-111 felt washers.

Now I just have to grind a .187 trepanning tool. I ordered 4 new felts from an eBay seller (F7 felt) for $7.36 shipped. Clausing wanted $4.65 for 1 and who knows how old they are.

One thing that we should all keep in mind is that we all have a vested interest in keeping Clausing interested in continuing to stock at least some parts for our machines. However, felt happens to age well.

Back