Broken Atlas 10F Countershaft Pulley 560-060 / 9-427

Does anyone know if this new pulley has the groove machined on the inboard side that accepts the felt washer to keep the grease in?

Attachments

• 16A86EE5-763A-40D6-8273-016427B39468.jpeg
    16A86EE5-763A-40D6-8273-016427B39468.jpeg
    702.3 KB · Views: 18
Write the seller and ask. FWIW, that is not a 560-060 It may be a 9-427. The 9-427 does have the cranked spokes. The 560-060 does not. It has a solid plate with four lightening holes connecting the hub to the grooved part. CORRECTION three holes.

Last edited:
I was referring to the new pulley that Clausing is selling.I haven't seen a pic of the inboard side that goes up against the bearing race to see if it has the groove to accept the 9-111 felt washer that keeps the grease in.

Last edited:
FWIW, the pulley shown at the bottom of post #1 is what the factory one has actually looked like since at least the summer of 1980 when my 3996 was assembled. Despite the parts manual still showing the spoked version. So I would assume that if you were to order the pulley from Clausing today, that is what you would get. If you were to order 9-427, I'm not sure what you would get.

Yes that's the pulley you get from Clausing. I'm just wondering if it has the groove machined into it on the other side of the hub to accept the felt washer/seal. I'm looking for a view of the other side of the pulley, not the one shown.

I would guess not. Although I don;t think that it would hurt anything on any of the lathes that don't have a seal there.. I'll put that on the list of things to ask Tom next time that I call them. Unless anyone else wants to do it.

Ok, thanks. Did the later lathes use a different setup for the countershaft bearings? Mine has the needle bearing/grease cups.

I contacted Clausing and asked about the seal groove in the pulley they are selling. It does NOT come with that in case anyone else wonders or cares.

Grinderman,

At least according to the parts lists that we have, there were no changes to the horizontal countershaft assembly from beginning to end. The only other countershaft that you could buy up until sometime in 1945 was the Vertical Countershaft. The 10-107X Spindle Assembly is used on both.

I believe that you mentioned earlier that as received, your countershaft assembly had a felt or similar material washer between the left-hand bearing and the 2-step pulley and the pulley had a groove on the right end of the hub that the felt washer fit into. If I am not mistaken, that may be a modification made by a previous owner. According to all of the various vintage parts lists that we have (dated from 1942 through 1966), the 10-107X originally came with four 9-111 fiber washers, one on each side of each of the two straight roller bearings. And no groove in the right face of the original 9-427 2-step pulley. I suspect that the PO was just using too much grease.

I have to disagree. The parts list shows a 9-111 felt washer in between the bearing housing and the pulley as you say. That washer has a quite large inner and outer diameter. The pic shows one of the 3 collars with one of the 4 fiber washers and the pulley. I don't think they would put that large of a washer in between the bearing housing and the pulley as the countershaft is only 3/4" diameter. There would be nothing to hold that washer in place if the pulley had just a flat face. Hope that makes sense. I could see a washer with a 3/4" hole maybe but it calls for 4 of the same 9-111 washer in all locations.

Attachments

• 8156F74B-98BE-4787-B3DB-AB6ACA2360B6.jpeg
    8156F74B-98BE-4787-B3DB-AB6ACA2360B6.jpeg
    117.7 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Back