Dating my vintage craftsman 12inch . My first day on the site.

Without having the right equipment or a friend makes it tough.
I would braze or weld back together if wishing to try. Many people have used plain wire MIG welders with good success. Check out Uncle Tony’s Garage for a recent video of an engine block repair. No preheat used in his case. Usually cast iron is preheated and slowly cooled. I have used regular brazing rod with a MAPP torch setup on a small part like the top slide of the lathe.
Pierre
Another person on this site sent me a link fornthe part on ebay for 35. So I'm buying it. But I am going to try and fix mine. I watched YouTube a moment a go. Both welding and braising I think braising in my case would be the way to go. I do thank you for your input and I'm going to watch the channel you recommend.. but once I buy tjr part and get it and it's correct then ilk try to fix mine. I'll keep all posted. In a day or two I'll post my first turning attempt.
Remember, I've never owned a machine like this and setting up the tool ( I have a bunch of HSS someone cut) figuring what each tool does. Maybe ilk post some picks of some of the weird cuts inhave. You folks might be able to tell me what these shapes do. Some are hollowed in tjeide others a small and round. So there's alit of different pieces. Then setting up the tool and the speed. But practice om sure will be.needed. so I bought a pice of round stock st lowes to cut up and turn.

Ken

Thank you, that will help alot. It's worth 35 beans. But I'm also wondering what would be the best method to fix it. I think wit would be good practice to fix in the event I had no other choice . What would you say would be best to fix and why

Thanks
Ken
Im no welding expert. I have done a bit in my 30 years of auto repair. 30 years ago we brazed cracks in cast manifolds which where hit or miss.
If I where to attempt a repair I would go with brazing. Im just not sure if it has the strength to hold up to the forced applied to it when in use.
You can weld it. The Muffler Shop I worked at would try now and again arc welding with special rods . The problem we ran into is the weld cools and shrinks faster than the part and often would crack right at the weld. The owner of the shop would always tell the customers No Guaranty.

Another person on this site sent me a link fornthe part on ebay for 35. So I'm buying it. But I am going to try and fix mine. I watched YouTube a moment a go. Both welding and braising I think braising in my case would be the way to go. I do thank you for your input and I'm going to watch the channel you recommend.. but once I buy tjr part and get it and it's correct then ilk try to fix mine. I'll keep all posted. In a day or two I'll post my first turning attempt.
Remember, I've never owned a machine like this and setting up the tool ( I have a bunch of HSS someone cut) figuring what each tool does. Maybe ilk post some picks of some of the weird cuts inhave. You folks might be able to tell me what these shapes do. Some are hollowed in tjeide others a small and round. So there's alit of different pieces. Then setting up the tool and the speed. But practice om sure will be.needed. so I bought a pice of round stock st lowes to cut up and turn.

Ken
Im right there with you. Picked up a 90s Smithy 1220 3-1 for the cost of hauling it out of previous owners garage. You have a much better chance of finding parts than I do

Arc welding you need straight Nickle filler rod. Soft enough, plays well with all that Carbon.
Lots of heat and slow cool improves your chances.

Sent from my SM-G715A using Tapatalk

Arc welding you need straight Nickle filler rod. Soft enough, plays well with all that Carbon.
Lots of heat and slow cool improves your chances.

Sent from my SM-G715A using Tapatalk
I dont even want to know what we used in Oxy/Ac gas with the large rose bud tip to try and keep things heated 30 years ago.
Later we found a welder who had a large electric furnace used especially for cast and thick metal welding. It was pretty big IIRC it could heat up to 2000’F

I dont know what Nickel Rod goes for but I sure its not cheap

Last edited:
Preheat and nickle rods on TIG, then bury it in sand to allow it to cool slowly.

Preheat to weld better/easier (also to mitigate rapid heating and expansion/internal stress build up) and slow cool down to retain the properties of the cast iron to prevent rapid cooling, shrinkage and cracks.

Nickle filler rod so it doesn't suck the carbon out of the cast iron and localize it at the weld, making it brittle.

You can try brazing, but I'm skeptical it will hold up to the load in the manner in which the bottom tailstock clamp needs to be loaded.....I'm guesstimating it will break right at the interface between braze and cast when loaded.

I had to TIG my steady rest after the "harp/neck" section broke under a machining load. That was a couple years ago. Nickle rod, TIG, pre/post heat treating and it holds up just fine today to the same loads that broke it first time around.....

Im right there with you. Picked up a 90s Smithy 1220 3-1 for the cost of hauling it out of previous owners garage. You have a much better chance of finding parts than I do
I am almost done with my refurbishing of my 30s lathe. I did my very first turning and it was awful. Either I'm not good or my lathe sucks. Of course It's the lathe :) I'll include my set up. Have a laugh
Im thick skinned . Have a laugh at my first attempt ever, of turning. It was awful. I think my lathe sucks. It can't be me!!! , I'm good at everything. I'll include my set up. Now ingotns ton of hss already cut and all differnt thickness. I'm not sure if I set the tool up correctly. I tried to post this on a main feed but couldn't, so if anyone can help with that as well. I'm still trying to figure this sites platform out
Let me know what to change.. other than hobbies lol

Ken

Attachments

• 20221227_012121.jpg
    20221227_012121.jpg
    264.2 KB · Views: 6
  • 20221227_012218.jpg
    20221227_012218.jpg
    203 KB · Views: 6
I am almost done with my refurbishing of my 30s lathe. I did my very first turning and it was awful. Either I'm not good or my lathe sucks. Of course It's the lathe :) I'll include my set up. Have a laugh

Im thick skinned . Have a laugh at my first attempt ever, of turning. It was awful. I think my lathe sucks. It can't be me!!! , I'm good at everything. I'll include my set up. Now ingotns ton of hss already cut and all differnt thickness. I'm not sure if I set the tool up correctly. I tried to post this on a main feed but couldn't, so if anyone can help with that as well. I'm still trying to figure this sites platform out
Let me know what to change.. other than hobbies lol

Ken
Here better tool set up

Back