Dating my vintage craftsman 12inch . My first day on the site.

I am almost done with my refurbishing of my 30s lathe. I did my very first turning and it was awful. Either I'm not good or my lathe sucks. Of course It's the lathe :) I'll include my set up. Have a laugh

Im thick skinned . Have a laugh at my first attempt ever, of turning. It was awful. I think my lathe sucks. It can't be me!!! , I'm good at everything. I'll include my set up. Now ingotns ton of hss already cut and all differnt thickness. I'm not sure if I set the tool up correctly. I tried to post this on a main feed but couldn't, so if anyone can help with that as well. I'm still trying to figure this sites platform out
Let me know what to change.. other than hobbies lol

Ken
Here another look.

Attachments

• 20221227_011939.jpg
    20221227_011939.jpg
    330.7 KB · Views: 8
I am almost done with my refurbishing of my 30s lathe. I did my very first turning and it was awful. Either I'm not good or my lathe sucks. Of course It's the lathe :) I'll include my set up. Have a laugh

Im thick skinned . Have a laugh at my first attempt ever, of turning. It was awful. I think my lathe sucks. It can't be me!!! , I'm good at everything. I'll include my set up. Now ingotns ton of hss already cut and all differnt thickness. I'm not sure if I set the tool up correctly. I tried to post this on a main feed but couldn't, so if anyone can help with that as well. I'm still trying to figure this sites platform out

Ken
I'm sorry I keep.loosing pics. This platform doesn't like me

Here is a better look at the tool set up

Attachments

• 20221227_012040.jpg
    20221227_012040.jpg
    290.7 KB · Views: 8
  • 20221227_011939.jpg
    20221227_011939.jpg
    330.7 KB · Views: 7
Preheat and nickle rods on TIG, then bury it in sand to allow it to cool slowly.

Preheat to weld better/easier (also to mitigate rapid heating and expansion/internal stress build up) and slow cool down to retain the properties of the cast iron to prevent rapid cooling, shrinkage and cracks.

Nickle filler rod so it doesn't suck the carbon out of the cast iron and localize it at the weld, making it brittle.

You can try brazing, but I'm skeptical it will hold up to the load in the manner in which the bottom tailstock clamp needs to be loaded.....I'm guesstimating it will break right at the interface between braze and cast when loaded.

I had to TIG my steady rest after the "harp/neck" section broke under a machining load. That was a couple years ago. Nickle rod, TIG, pre/post heat treating and it holds up just fine today to the same loads that broke it first time around.....
Would making a casting from aluminum work ? Would a cast aluminum part hold up to hobby use

Ken
Hard to tell but your tool looks like its orientated “wrong”
Looks like it should be rotated 90 to your right.
Dull blade , wrong speed , tool not centered?
All things Im learning myself
Sharp cutting tools are a HUGE help.

Before I read this. I got another tool and increased the speed. This is all by hand no power feed. I got several old pieces of HSS all different sizes and shapes. So finding a good tool is a process I'm testing out. This next pic was a huge ove forward. But working out the tools is hard they are all hand cut and I'm not sure what's what. So I'm testing each out.

Is there a place we're I can post for all can see Luke face book? I use my phone and the platform is odd. Check out the. Pic.

Attachments

• 20221228_232027.jpg
    20221228_232027.jpg
    182.4 KB · Views: 9
As far as 90? Do u mean move the tool so it's perpendicular to the direction it is now??? If Im reading that correctly wouldn't it be off the work.off and off to the right. ?? I'm sorry of I'm missing the 90 degree part. I'm spending time figuring out what piece does what. I'll probably buy a better tool post and more defined tools. Thar would help. But I'm learning alot. Going through the machine and cleaning it all gave me a good sense of how it works. So I'll figure out the cutting part as well. But the many pieces of homemade tools is overwhelming to a degree.

I was down stairs playing before bed and it dawned on me that you meant turn the tool in the holder 90 , bot the entire set up. Wow. I'm suck a newbie!!! Lol. Thanks. I'll try that plus as stated I'm trying all the piece and separating them

I have a few odd ones. I'll take puc another night and post. But again can i.post to a main paoge.for all to see ir done need to post like this. This platform is odd!!!

I was down stairs playing before bed and it dawned on me that you meant turn the tool in the holder 90 , bot the entire set up. Wow. I'm suck a newbie!!! Lol. Thanks. I'll try that plus as stated I'm trying all the piece and separating them

I have a few odd ones. I'll take puc another night and post. But again can i.post to a main paoge.for all to see ir done need to post like this. This platform is odd!!!
Mrpete222 , joe pie, blondiehacks, and may others on you tube can help .
Im still saving pocket change to buy new stone for my grinder so I can start grinding my own HSS tooling and sharpen what I have.

Figuring out the feeds and speeds is another step.

Along with material - cutting in know material can be a pita.

My lathe is limited to 6 speeds
400 - 1600 rpm socI have to work with in that when cutting. Or should I say work with in materials that can be cut with the speeds I have.
I put a link few post back to my first adventures, making parts for the lathe. Lathe is in a un heated building so im done until the next warm day.

Keep reading through the forum , take the info in small chunks

In addition to the YouTube videos mentioned above, I can recommend the books "How To Run A Lathe" by South Bend Lathe Works, and the "Craftsman Manual of Lathe Operations". Both are usually available on eBay. The Craftsman Book also has detailed instructions on change gear setup for your machine, which are very helpful.

In addition to the YouTube videos mentioned above, I can recommend the books "How To Run A Lathe" by South Bend Lathe Works, and the "Craftsman Manual of Lathe Operations". Both are usually available on eBay. The Craftsman Book also has detailed instructions on change gear setup for your machine, which are very helpful.
I saw mrpetes video on the south bend book.. i also recently purchased the craftsman book that came with these lathes. The you tube videos make it all look so simple lol..
One final piece I need to complete my refurbishing of this piece is a way to lock the carriage. Pic below shows i the nut but it's just loose in the hole. Would it be just a nut?? Does it just lock onto the ways?? I don't want to damage the ways by just adding any nut. Any idea what should gom. There to lock the carriage?

Thanks

Thanks
Ken

Attachments

• 20221212_201133.jpg
    20221212_201133.jpg
    334.9 KB · Views: 3
Back