Dipping into the Arduino Uno pool- Now what?

Windows, I presume? Which version? What version of java is on your PC now?
Could be a bad download of the Arduino SW. Download it again and see if you get the same error.
I may have downloaded the wrong arduino software?

I may have downloaded the wrong arduino software?
Don't know. I'm guessing you download the Win7 or newer one? The item on the top of the list?

What operating system? You have to tell us. Don't know about anyone else, but I'm not a mind reader :).

Also, inside the Arduino IDE (IDE = Integrated Development Environment) under File > Examples there are the built-in examples, and below that are some more examples. If you get stuck, just ask. I'd download and install the version 1.8.19 Arduino IDE. It is the latest stable release. Yes, there is a new one in the works, but stick with stable.
I got it. I clicked on the app version.
I have the window I saw in the training videos. Thanks man

Yeah I see talk about ardino and Raspberry Pi and my eyes glaze over. I don't have any immediate plans, but thought it can't hurt to start learning some basics so when I do have a need I will have a shallower learning curve. I had some basic electronics classes when I was a kid where I plugged in LEDs, capacitors, transistors and such and enjoyed the simple projects, but that was a long time ago and in general electrical work and I have not been friends. I understand the basic concepts, can wire in a new outlet, light or switch but it is mostly magic to me. ;)
All of this stuff is learnable by the average person. It's all a series of little steps and incremental learning. Pretty much like learning machining - you won't be great right away, but you can be passable. Just like machining, if you do it very wrong, you won't be rewarded. Just plod away at it, and ask questions. Don't be afraid to modify other programs. Just change one or two things and see what happens. If it does something other than what you expected, backtrack to where you started, and only make one change...

Just like learning machining, it's good to watch and listen to someone but you have to do it to learn.
Aaron

There are a ton of libraries for Arduino you can download/modify as needed. They will have at least one example to show how the library is used. The "official" library list can be found at this site. There may be multiple libraries for the same application,sometimes useful to see how different folks solve a common problem.

The Arduino "language" is just a version of C++, so there also are a huge number of resources on the Web you can use to find answers to programming questions. Solutions for common problems like sorting, finding maximums or minimums, etc. can be found out there, often with code examples you can cut and paste into your own programs.

You can go crazy using things like pointers to data, structures, linked lists....on and on, but start with the simple stuff and you can grow into using the more "exotic" stuff as you find a need for it.

I admire you guys for digging into this stuff. I've worked on embedded systems for coming up on 60 years, from back when there was nothing to embed in. :) I've pretty much done enough.

Same with CNC...too much like the work years.

I admire you guys for digging into this stuff. I've worked on embedded systems for coming up on 60 years, from back when there was nothing to embed in. :) I've pretty much done enough.

Same with CNC...too much like the work years.
I made the mistake thinking I would want my milling machine converted to CNC... I spend enough time in front a computer already... I am happy now with just a DRO... I do plan to finish it... but not sure what I will do with it... maybe after it is done and properly adjusted, I will be interested in playing with it...

I did build Yuriy's DRO... but never installed it in the G0704... so it just sits in front of me, staring at me everyday in its blue 3D printed enclosure...

I started on the Motorola 68701, UV erasable. Later, having a real stack and able to run C on later processors was such a boon over assembly. I've been out of the hands on side of it since the early 90's, and am dabbling a bit again as I find it rather fun to get into it. But I still find C/C++ a playground, can't bring myself to use micropython.

For the most part when I was working, I wrote code in Matlab/Simulink and later in Python/Scipy for radar system simulations. Never was involved much with embedded work. Probably held me back in my career, but that's water over the dam.

Python turned out to be very fast to code in, it just clicked with me. It became helpful later on when having to code some C++. Wrote a client server application to compute fairly large FFT's (fast fourier transforms) on a higher end server. Took a week to understand what the heck was needed for the client, and the server, and to draw little pictures of the necessary basic network transactions. I knew no network programming. Got a book on the subject and read it cover to cover. (Hey, it was a short book!) Understood, about 1/2 of it, but that was enough. Coded it up in python and tested in a day, for both client and server. Seemed to work well with very good data payload delivery rates. Then ported the server python code to C++ in one long day. C++ and python both can be object oriented, and I used this to my advantage. Prior to that day, I had never coded a single line of C++. I knew a smattering of C. Dang thing worked beyond my wildest dreams. Dunno if I simply was lucky, or that week of cogitating helped. It seems that once you know what needs to be done exactly, the coding comes easy.

Back to Arduino land. C and C++ are difficult me. But I plug away at it. After a while, some code gets written. Sometimes it even works. Have to say, with embedded stuff, it is gratifying to see things work. Fooling around with this home built electronic lead screw has been a boatload of fun, even including the more boring display panel stuff. You can make the interface interact anyway you like, which for me, is the fun part. I knew nothing about ELS before I started, so it has been quite the adventure. For my ELS I chose a 600 MHz M7 processor, aka Teensy 4.1. I am nowhere near running out of gas on it. My stepper motor is the limiting factor. I will need to put in safeguards to warn the operator to lower the spindle speed, to rates the stepper motor can handle.

Think I will integrate in my lathe DRO's. A DRO is just a linear encoder, and Arduino has encoder libraries, (which I use already) so it would be fun to add the capability. Will have to add in level shifters to these old 5V DRO's, but that's not hard, just a buffer chip or a single resistor and a transistor buffer, depending what I can find in my electronic scrap box...

Back