ER-32 Collet Chuck Wanted for MicroMark 7X16 Mini Lathe

It would be a good idea to mark the holes/chuck so next time when you re install that chuck, it'll go in the same holes and will give you the same runout, I've done that to all my chucks.
Devil,
Before you witness mark the chuck and the spindle, you might also try different hole-to-hole combinations to see if one of the three possiblities gives you less runout. It makes a difference for my collet chuck on my lathe.

Tom

Okay, I'll check that.

Here's a cheap set on Amazon that looks decent. Anyone have this set?

Okay, I'll check that.

That is the same eBay seller I linked, I have one of their set and as I mentioned the collets are acceptable for work holding but I'd use the Techniks for tool holding on my mill. I just wished I had ordered the set with the most collets(by 1/32" not 1/16"), and metric/inch so it would cover all the in-between sizes.
Most of what I know about good collets and what to look for came from a very reliable source(Mikey) so I would check with him and follow his advice.

Okay, I'll check that.

I don't own that exact set but buying it on Amazon is a good idea because of their return policy. For the lathe, a set like you linked to is a good idea. It will allow you to grab whatever you want up to 3/4" OD. Again, save the Techniks collets for the mill.

Thanks, mikey.

Yes, this Amazon set looks good and is about half the price of the Techniks I bought. I'll use those on the mill and the Amazon set on the lathe. The 25 piece set goes to 13/16" which is good also. Runout is supposed to be 3 or 4 tenths.

So, my LMS chuck has no holes for tightening the collar. I can see this is needed. I can drill a hole on the perimeter, but is the steel hardened? What size? Depth? What goes in it? A straight rod? Or, a curved one like the one for the collar?

I made a wrench for this out of a 1/4”x1” piece of flat bar and a handle. My chuck has socket head cap screws inserted from the front holding it on, so the bar has a hole that fits over the head of a screw close to one side. The side of the bar wedges against the body of the chuck pretty nicely. Will take a picture once I get home.

So, my LMS chuck has no holes for tightening the collar. I can see this is needed. I can drill a hole on the perimeter, but is the steel hardened? What size? Depth? What goes in it? A straight rod? Or, a curved one like the one for the collar?

My ER40 chuck has three equally spaced holes around the periphery of the chuck. They go in about 1/2" deep and I use a straight rod turned to fit the hole to hold the chuck steady as I tighten the ER nut.

Test your chuck with a file to see if it is hardened. I suspect it won't be and you can just drill it. If it is hardened then you would need to use a carbide die drill to make the hole(s).

The LMS chuck is not hardened. I drilled 3 3/8" holes in mine for Tommy bar use. You can just use a straight Tommy bar or a pin spanner if you choose.
ImageER32 Wrench small.jpg
Roy

Last edited:
Back