Erich's Benchtop Gear Hobber Project

Yep! I got it from vevor com, as I was ordering something else as well.

So far: it's rough but probably works. The plate at the bottom is raw cast in the cutouts, so I probably am going to spend time with a die grinder on that. The hand wheel casting is sharp as well, so I need to spend time with th grinder on it.

The ram itself is a little gritty, so I expect I'll spend some time cleaning, filing, and greasing that.

There is also some sort of alignment issues with the ratchet mechanism that likely needs some attention.

In all, its a casting kit that needs some finishing, and some of the raw stock is already to size :)

I feel like I got what I paid for, at 1/5 the price of a "nice" import.

Even non ratcheting used ones around here are $600, so less than half price of those, so I still feel like I got a good deal.
Pretty much my feelings on this arbor press. A casting kit that needs a bit of attention to be ok. The ratchet feature is very nice. Hand wheel is awful, I replaced mine. Much better now.

Alright, two bits of news! First, the plastic fears showed up! I was really excited to see that! They beat me being able to use them yet, but I'm glad to see they will be here when I need them!

PXL_20221209_215845207.jpg

Second, one of the challenges to the design is that it is built around a NMTB 20 tool holder, which basically doesn't exist. I like the advantage of using it instead of MT2, so I am going to have to make 2+ holders plus both spindles. However, I went to a tool dealer today who sells a bunch of "junk" out of a old warehouse. On a shelf off to the side, I found these;

PXL_20221209_215618150.jpg

These are two size-20 tool holders! They aren't the right thing to use as tool holders at all, and they don't have consistent drive tabs or draw bar. However, they will allow me to use them as a "go" gauge when making the spindles!

Just wondering if you should consider a different spindle taper? How about an MT2 with a drawbar?

Just wondering if you should consider a different spindle taper? How about an MT2 with a drawbar?
I ALSO considered the MT2, but my experience with Morse Taper is it getting stuck a lot.

The guy who drew the plans had the same concern, particularly with hammering on the back of the spindle, on what is a somewhat fragile machine. The original prototype used MT2 FWIW.

I'm still considering it anyway. It would be nice to just buy toolholders off teh shelf and just machine the ends I need on them.

Good point. I was not thinking about removing the MT2! I assume the spindle is too small for a BT30.

Good point. I was not thinking about removing the MT2! I assume the spindle is too small for a BT30.
Yep, exactly. Thats why he chose the 20-size when designing, but no one makes/uses them for anything it seems. And the two I've got are modifications on it for some sort of (DIfferent!) quick-connect in both cases I think.

Those 2 will get you started and then you can make your own as you go. You could derust those in a small electrolytic bath pretty easily. I am always impressed how well that works.

I use MT2 collets in my indexing head. You don't need to draw them in very tight to hold, the whole point of the MT. They tap out / release relatively easy if you don't over do it drawing them in.

Greg

Whew... Did a bunch of work the last few days with sub par tools making an arbor press stand.

The grinder and paint makes me the welder I ain't, but nothing can save me from the painter I is :)

It's at least as good quality as the arbor press I'm putting on it, so I'm happy enough.

Attachments

• PXL_20221212_195925758.jpg
    PXL_20221212_195925758.jpg
    740.9 KB · Views: 13
  • PXL_20221212_195928891.jpg
    PXL_20221212_195928891.jpg
    625.8 KB · Views: 14
And done! I even used it today to do my last collar.

However, I noticed that broaching made the threads fit pretty tight :( I might have to use some lapping paste on these some day.

Attachments

• PXL_20221212_233440626.jpg
    PXL_20221212_233440626.jpg
    383 KB · Views: 22
Back