FreeCad - really just getting started

It almost seems that you might be missing a "snap to point" setting? Without that, I find it impossible to have a closed-loop unless you go into settings and change the allowable tolerance for endpoints. Just thinking out loud here. Also, are you sure that you are drawing a sketch all on one plane? Without that, you end up with a point that "looks" like it should be coincident with another but in reality, it is in some other wild orientation.

The end points are normally red. They will turn yellow when the cursor is over them. When drawing a line, if you are over an existing end point (yellow) when you finish, it will attach to that end point. If you are not, it won't. You can drag one existing end point on top of another existing end point, but they will not join. In other words, you can not use the automatic system to fix it later. You have to manually connect them.

Select the first end point <click>
Select the second end point <ctrl> <click>
Select the point constraint, the dot with the X.

This should make the two points join, unless there are other constraints that limit the movement.

The end points are normally red. They will turn yellow when the cursor is over them. When drawing a line, if you are over an existing end point (yellow) when you finish, it will attach to that end point. If you are not, it won't. You can drag one existing end point on top of another existing end point, but they will not join. In other words, you can not use the automatic system to fix it later. You have to manually connect them.

Select the first end point <click>
Select the second end point <ctrl> <click>
Select the point constraint, the dot with the X.

This should make the two points join, unless there are other constraints that limit the movement.
This is what isn't working for me. How do I identify the other constraints that are limiting movement?

For that matter, how do I find the broken segments? How can one know if the endpoints actually are joined? I can tell if I got everything right, but how to quickly identify the problem areas?

I wouldn't spend too much time on this lesson. It's just to show a technique. I did have a go with your file and was able to close the sketch and pad it.

You need to make sure all you points are coincident. I saw some points that were very close together, but not coincident. I would use the polyline tool and go for it in one continuous loop around the jet. Make sure to close the sketch by ending exactly where you started. The points will change color when they are coincident. Use the highlighted tools below to close any that are not coincident after selecting both points.

View attachment 391617
My avatar is WobblyHand, sometimes the name is apt. Probably popped out of polyline while I was zooming in and out and had to restart the polyline. What I'd like to know is how to identify the unjoined endpoints, so I can join them. If I can't see them, it will hard to join them.

It's good to know that you were able to close the curve, however, eventually I need to be able to do the same. How did you do it?

And thank you so much for opening the file and looking at it! Really appreciate it.

It's easiest to tell before you start constraining the drawing. Following the videos technique:

Draw the rough outline
Grab different parts of the outline and give it a shake. Any disconnected points should show up.
Constrain geometry. Parallels, horizontal/vertical, equals, etc.
While doing this, try moving parts to see what moves and what moves with it. This will help find the constraints you need to add.
Finally add dimensions. You only want to add enough to define space. The system will warn you if you add too many.

Does FreeCad delineate open/unconstrained drawings by line color? Solidworks drawings are blue until constrained and fully defined whereas they then turn black.
Maybe I should bow out of this conversation for fear of muddying the waters. It is interesting though because if SW goes away for me it sounds like FC might be a viable option with the "new" interface.

Each line/segment will turn pale green as it's constrained. When the entire drawing is constrained, it turns neon green.

Yes, just use the mouse to grab an endpoint or a line segment and give it a shake. That should show if it's connected.

BTW, this is a bad example. Normally, you would never have a sketch not 100% constrained. Weird things can happen if the sketch is not 100% constrained.

It's easiest to tell before you start constraining the drawing. Following the videos technique:

Draw the rough outline
Grab different parts of the outline and give it a shake. Any disconnected points should show up.
Constrain geometry. Parallels, horizontal/vertical, equals, etc.
While doing this, try moving parts to see what moves and what moves with it. This will help find the constraints you need to add.
Finally add dimensions. You only want to add enough to define space. The system will warn you if you add too many.
Your description seems to work ok if I am in sketcher. It didn't seem to work if I am tracing over an image. I may missed a step in the tutorial, as I've done that quite a few times! Not going to lose sleep over it. Got through Lesson #9 without too many hiccups!

Have you dug through the Edit->preferences for the relevant workbench? You may be able to increase the size of the dots for the vertices.

I use large screen 4K TV's for monitors, at farther than normal computer desktop monitor distances, so I find it necessary to tweak these things.

Back