FreeCad - really just getting started

Have you dug through the Edit->preferences for the relevant workbench? You may be able to increase the size of the dots for the vertices.

I use large screen 4K TV's for monitors, at farther than normal computer desktop monitor distances, so I find it necessary to tweak these things.
I've poked through most of the preferences in the workbenches. Might be a matter of color choice or rendition, many sw designers like to use finely graded pastels and I find some of the pastels hard to differentiate. Also have trouble seeing the single pixel wide small cross hairs that show up when in polyline. Don't know what setting controls that.

Running dual 1920x1080 monitors - one for FreeCad and the other for the video. Monitors are within 3 feet of my eyes.

I'm running Ubuntu 20.04 Linux. Anyone know how to install the offline help files? Instructions at installing help files aren't working. I did the option of downloading the 7z file, extracting and copying the files, using sudo, to /usr/share/doc/freecad-doc. FreeCad fails to find them.

Privileges? Owned by root as I used sudo as directed to by the directions. Why the heck the docs aren't installed by default escapes me.

I am not a fan of ubuntu's Simon-Says (aka sudo)

cd /usr/share/doc
sudo chown -R WobblyHand:WobblyHand freecad-doc

That will change ownership of freecad-doc and everything in it, to WobblyHand recursively. The name:name changes owner:group, which saves you from running a separate chgrp command.

You can also run

sudo chmod -r 744 freecad-doc

this will set full access for owner, and read access for group and world.

You can also run

sudo chmod -r 744 freecad-doc

this will set full access for owner, and read access for group and world.
Thanks. Just guessing if a permissions problem, because I've run out of ideas! Even if it flops, I'm onto Lesson #10.

It works! Back to Lesson 10!

Last edited:
Does FreeCad delineate open/unconstrained drawings by line color? Solidworks drawings are blue until constrained and fully defined whereas they then turn black.
Maybe I should bow out of this conversation for fear of muddying the waters. It is interesting though because if SW goes away for me it sounds like FC might be a viable option with the "new" interface.
Please stay. It is interesting to get different perspectives.

As for me, I'm just going through the usual newbie 3D CAD learning and thrashing. I'll get there. Done 9 videos out of about 27, so 1/3 trained!

I am going to throw a few things out here, but keep in mind that I do not use FreeCad. I did download it not too long ago and tried it but found the interface to be lackluster at best. Most of my work has been in Solidworks, although initially, it was Fusion 360, so if my suggestions are not directly targeted for FreeCad, I will apologize in advance.

1). Use planes. Planes are a must when it comes to 3D CAD. Utilizing planes to develop your drawing into a 3D model is crucial. Offset planes and center planes help in the placement of features within a part, or an assembly.

2.) Learn the revolve command (if FreeCad has one). When I first started in CAD it was Sketchup and unfortunately, I got into the mode of extruding and/or cutting to make my 3d parts. That is not the way to do it.
Drawing the sketch with dimensions and a center rotation line will work much better. You can change the dimensions quickly by reverting back to sketch, which makes changing the overall part you are working on quite easy.

3.) Learn the Mirror command. It can save you a lot of work once you get into more complex designs.

4.) Utilize construction lines. These are invaluable for making the drawing parametric, amongst other primary roles, such as making the aforementioned Mirror command work.

Don't get discouraged. It takes a LOT of work to get the hang of CAD, but once you do, it becomes a hobby within itself. Also, keep in mind that there are usually multiple ways to approach a project in CAD. Some avenues work better than others, but just be aware that there is more than one way to draw a part. I utilized my Solidworks and 3D printer for a TON of projects in the shop and around the house.
Agree wholeheartedly with all the above. Put on Paul Simon's "50 ways to leave your lover" - it will remind you there are 50 ways to do just about anything with these CAD packages. Knowing how and when to use construction lines and points, planes, revolve, mirror, move, align, and joints will really speed up your work and lower frustration.

(in answer to a disparaging comment about the user interface)[admin]

Maybe so. Currently, it's the software I have to work with. Can't say the video I was working from was all that good either from a pedagogical perspective, but somehow I'll persevere. I'm running the video at 3/4 speed because I can't follow the mouse clicks. His toolbars are arranged differently than mine and the toolbars are context sensitive, makes it tough to keep up in real time. Lots of pausing and replays.

In the example above, I made quite a few mistakes that could have been avoided. However, that guidance wasn't provided in the video, or I misunderstood it. Had I chosen a simpler example, it would have gone a lot more smoothly. Should have offset the sketch plane off the image - but I didn't know better at the time. So I ended up with constraints that didn't need to be there, and fell into a hole that I had dug myself.

Every software package has it issues, be it cost, platform, content or user interface. Since cost and platform are drivers for my adoption, I need to perhaps give something else up. That's a compromise that I've begrudgingly accepted.

Last edited by a moderator:
Muddled through some more videos. Finished #11. Accidentally started some random video where he was making engine parts and got a bit confused, that must have been one of the assembly videos. Making progress, so that's good. One thing that was a bit irritating was the instructors comments that the values he chose were of no significance. For a real part that may be true. But not for teaching. I was following along and what I was seeing on my screen was diverging radically from the video. It was confusing, because I couldn't tell if I had an error or not. Had to go back and mostly copy his values to see what he was showing. That helped a lot. Got introduced to the topological problem, which I can see would bite you. Good lesson.

Getting to the point where I'm either brave or stupid enough to attempt a model for something. It's a diamond point holder to dress my carbide grinder. Jumping in there.

For a beginner, his videos from about 13 on diminish in value and increase in confusion. Multi-parts assembly and Blender integration isn't what is needed right now. I do recommend his videos on the parametric electrical box and lid. That is good solid practice that results in something that is useful.

Back