Fusion 360 from the start

You will find that there is a fairly steep learning curve to Fusion and other 3D modeling CAD. I started drafting almost sixty years ago and had used it extensively until the late 1990's. Then I started using a CAD program called AutoSketch, followed by AutoCAD LT. AutoCAD was particularly difficult at first as to really use it, you had to know all the secret commands that were entered on the command line. Having a good reference book made the difference.

I moved on to SolidWorks in 2004 and again, it was frustrating to grasp enough of the fundamentals to be able to work effectively. I have been using SolidWorks for 17 years now and own my own personal seat. I would never consider going back to pencil and paper. Contrary to what is said above, I can quickly make a solid model to solidify an idea. The model can be stretched, or features deleted and new features added to modify the initial thoughts with a few clicks of a mouse or keystrokes. When I am done, I have a solid model that shows me exactly what I will have when I am finished in the machine shop. I know precisely where every hole is located, what are the potential interferences,

I have Fusion 360 loaded on my computer. I loaded it a number of years ago when they first introduced it. It was introduced as a "free forever" for entrepreneurs, educators, and hobbyists, professional quality CAD program. In spite of already having a quality CAD program, I was interested in it for several reasons. The first being that it was a "free forever" stable and quality program and another reason was that it included an integral CAM program for generating CNC machining programs.

I have to say that I haven't dove into Fusion in all these years. The primary reason is that I already have a practical alternative. The biggest reason being that I haven't taken the time to learn all the secret keystrokes necessary to access the extensive features. I have played with it a little, and created some models but just not used it enough to commit to memory what needs to be done to proficiently use the program. Last winter, I decided to put the effort onto learning how to use the program. For me, that would require putting in a week or two of total immersion. Other things got in the way and the decision by Autodesk to downgrade the "free forever" version killed that. Maybe this year?

All that said, I wouldn't be without some sort of solid modeling program. Be it SolidWorks, Fusion, FreeCad or some other. They are powerful tools for a machinist. Virtually everything I make in the shop is preceded by a SolidWorks model. There are tasks that can be accomplished in CAD that would be impossible otherwise. Complex sheet metal parts can be modeled and then flattened to show exactly what the profile is and where the bend lines are. I have used SolidWorks for landscaping layout, for extensive construction projects, and for electronics layout as well as simply answering questions that arise on this forum.

The benefits of programs like Fusion 360 are endless.
I love the simple features which allows you to identify radius measurements, angles, dimensions etc.

Add to the mix that CAD programs have powerful math engines in order to do parametric modeling. I have used them to solve mathematics problems that I wasn't able to solve, even with a math major.

I found this guys tutorials to be extremely helpful in getting started with F360.

akjeff,
I watched a couple of this guys videos at lunch. He started out slow and simple.
The problem I run into, he clicks on create, sketch, rectangle etc.
I click on the same thing but get different results.
To me, there is no better way to be frustrated, impatient and feel stupid in such a short time.
I have started and stopped trying to learn this program so many times.....
Today is no exception.
I know I'm not stupid, but these programs just aren't designed for idiots like me.
I quit.

We used to use AutoCAD in my shop but not wanting to pay for another seat I got LT for my home. It worked OK for what I needed. Skip ahead many years, I tried to download 360 several times. Never succeeded. FreeCad has it's limitations but works OK for what I do these days. I'm just as likely to just do a hand sketch as go to the computer these days. I don't have a computer in the shop. No internet connection there.

I've been using AutoCAD since the early '80s, and I'm pretty quick with it. I use AutoCAD 2007 for most of my drafting and CNC Plasma Cutting. I use SolidWorks 2010 for 3D modeling stuff and for my 3D printer and CamBAM for my CNC Mini Mill. Lightburn is also here in the shop for my Laser Engraver.

akjeff,
I watched a couple of this guys videos at lunch. He started out slow and simple.
The problem I run into, he clicks on create, sketch, rectangle etc.
I click on the same thing but get different results.
To me, there is no better way to be frustrated, impatient and feel stupid in such a short time.
I have started and stopped trying to learn this program so many times.....
Today is no exception.
I know I'm not stupid, but these programs just aren't designed for idiots like me.
I quit.
Hi Janderso,

I had the same issue, and then saw that his original 16 part tutorial was done on a version of F360 that was earlier than mine, and some of the commands are different on the current version. He's now started the series over again using the most current version, but I think he's only up to #2.

Hi Janderso,

I had the same issue, and then saw that his original 16 part tutorial was done on a version of F360 that was earlier than mine, and some of the commands are different on the current version. He's now started the series over again using the most current version, but I think he's only up to #2.
There also may be different options he has that I don't as I have the hobby free edition.
I am truly a masochist. I have two PC's -monitors on my desk. I open up Youtube lesson plans on one and have the Fusion 360 app opened on the other.
This way I can pause the video to keep up.
Once again, he clicks on something I don't have or his computer responds differently than mine.
Maybe I could follow along if we were using the same program?
Where did I put my Lisinopril?

Back