G0509g 16x40 Drool Thread

I did a dual speed wiring on my mill using a VFD. I went low-tech and pulled off the knob that operates the barrel switch used for speed and rotation direction. Wired up the power to the switch as normal.

HOWEVER, if I want to switch from HI to LOW speed, (I don't bother with the rotation options because the VFD does that) I have to go fetch this knob and use it to actuate the barrel switch. I keep said knob tied to the power cord so that I can't help but remember to unplug the VFD every time.

Bit of a Rube Goldberg solution, but it works.

Update: G0670

I have been researching the G0670, trying to understand what I would be getting for the additional $5500. In addition to being manufactured in Taiwan and variable speed, it turns out a fair bit.

1. While both lathes are rated at 40 inches between centers the G0670 carriage actually travels 40 inches, the G0509G carriage only travels 33 inches.
2. Both lathes have about a 10 inch wide bed but the G0670 has triple V ways vs the G0509G's double V.
3. While the apron design looks exactly the same for both lathes the saddle for the G0670 is actually quite a bit different.
4. The G0670 tailstock quill has 6 inches of travel vs 4.75 inches for the G0509G
5. The G0670 has an adjustable feed clutch, looks like it would be annoying to adjust, not as good as actual feed stops on other lathes but its something.
6. The G0670 spindle is nearly 5 inches wider.
7. The G0670 has an electric oil pump with internal plumbing directing the oil to critical areas in the headstock and gearbox.
9. The G0670 looks to have nicer hand wheels and better fit and finish, and a pull out chip drawer.
10. The G0670 lowest speed is 20 rpm vs 45 rpm for the G0509G, I would not mind slowing down threading vs 70 rpm on my G4003G.
11. Big plus the G0670 spindle centerline is 4 inches closer to the floor that should put it just about the exact height I need it.

When I looked at the 670, I saw more similarities between it and the SB1037 that I did the 509 but I will admit that I didn't do an exhaustive comparison. The 3-v bed for example. I wouldn't be surprised if they (670 & SB1037) come from the same factory.

On the other hand, $13,500 for the G0670, add $1,100 for a DRO, $1,100 for a quality Bison chuck, $600 for coolant system, etc. and I'm half way to this Haas 16x30 TL1

Last edited by a moderator:
When I looked at the 670, I saw more similarities between it and the SB1037 that I did the 509 but I will admit that I didn't do an exhaustive comparison. The 3-v bed for example. I wouldn't be surprised if they (670 & SB1037) come from the same factory.

I have compared them, visually they are nearly exactly the same, I'm not sure where they are getting that SB price increase from.

On the other hand watch this Dorian QCTP not locked down with dowels twist...LOOK OUT BOOOOOM!

In this price range you could also look at the PM1640: 12" wide bed, 3 spindle bearings, and 0ver 4000lbs!

PM-1640-Front.jpg

Hey Bill, yes I have information on that lathe from Matt at PM. The carriage stops are enticing on that lathe, its a step up from the G0509G but its also manufactured in China. The same lathe is sold under several importer brands, prices range from $9,500 to $10,500 so its priced between the G0509G and G0670. I decided that if I'm willing to go to $10k I may as well go all the way to the made in Taiwan lathes.

Matt also sells a RML 1640V which is equivalent to the Grizzly G0670 I'm considering. Again this same lathe is sold under several brand names, Kent for example. Right now nobody is even close to Grizzly on price, the G0670 is on sale $1,000 off for $13,495 plus $495 shipping. The next closest competitor is $3,000 higher price/shipping, though I'd probably not have to pay sales tax so that would save about $1,300. These Taiwan lathes are optioned somewhat differently. Matt's has a chuck and tool post shield. His are listed as ISO 9001 certified, Grizzly is not. Matt notes single phase power, I'm not sure that's the case for the variable speed model.

If Matt's RML 1640V is really ready to run on single phase power that might be a game changer, I'll have to buy a rotary phase converter to run the Grizzly which looks to be another $1,500 so that would.

I was able to speak with Grizzly this morning on the G0670 and confirmed some things. Motor is made in Taiwan, chuck is made in Taiwan, casting/bed is made in Taiwan. I had come across some postings on other brand lathes (not Grizzly or PM) where people were complaining that their made in Taiwan lathe turned out to be only partially made in Taiwan. The Grizzly looks to be 100% made in Taiwan so that's good. Matt's is further upgraded with Siemens electronics.

Closing out the G0509G its officially crossed off my list. I was able to speak with a few G0509G owners, it was mixed reviews but mostly positive. Most were happy overall, one noted its way more lathe than his 1440's. All noted a few quality issues and all owners noted the same issue with selection knobs/levers left you feeling unsure if they were positioned correctly. One owner obviously received a lemon unit and he wasn't happy.

Ah...didn't know it (PM1640) was not Taiwan made. It sounds like the 670 is truly a Taiwan manufactured machine. But Matt's RML lathes look rather tasty too. Decisions, decisions... :D

At this price range, the RML versions in a 14 or 16x40 made in Taiwan offers a lot of lathe. Smooth machines with excellent quality. I was very serious about the ERL and RML-1440V, and also contacted Sunmaster. The CSS is available, you would need to check on options. Wouldn't be surprised if these also go to Grizzly. Some additional information
http://www.hhrobertsmachinery.com/lathes/Shun-Chuan-RML-Lathes.html
http://www.hhrobertsmachinery.com/HHRM-docs/Shun Chuan/ShunChuan.pdf

If I needed more machine (+ had the cash) and could have handled the weight of the machine (this was the biggest limitation), this would have been my first choice. If QMT can get you the RML with the assorted trimmings at a good price, go for it. My "lathe" budget almost doubled from where I started, but will hopefully be the last one I am going to buy (sorry Bill, I only have space for one and I do not plan on moving). So I look at it as money well spent, when you take into account the many years of use and not having to buy up later. The same goes for chucks and tooling. The stock chucks that came with my lathe, where a disappointment for me (but it was the budget package and I got what I paid for). Replaced them with PBA and Bison, world of difference.
RML-1640 running:
This thread sounds like a repeat of a previous thread asking the same question on these lathes.
http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/gunsmithing/gunsmithing-lathe-dilema-one-217702/

Back