G0509g 16x40 Drool Thread

Very nice video (breathe, bill, breathe) and I have to remind myself that I don't NEED that nice...er...big of a lathe, and that this puppy costs as much as both of my smaller lathes put together. But if I planned on retiring here, then I may have ponied up for the Big Guy just for the heck of it. :)

Blay127 thanks for the offer but I'm going with the Dorian CXA QCTP.

Blay127 thanks for the offer but I'm going with the Dorian CXA QCTP.

My wimpy little BXA Dorian should be at the house when I get home tonight. The lathe isn't here yet but I'll have to unbox it just to get a look at this thing. :)

I considered for a few weeks that PM1640, but its too much tool for 2 little money, you get what you pay for. That dreadful bondo job on the cast iron and paint looking like it was slobbered on by drunken monkeys should be a tip off. I agree with the other posters that none of the RML type lathes sold by a variety of sellers can compete on paper with the Griz price. ISO factories may make a difference, I don't know. Maybe the Grizzly chucks stink, maybe the electrics suck...... Only 2 real humans have related their experience with the machine to me. They both love it and are happy to have it in their shop. I believe the Griz is the old South Bend Turn Ado with different graphics and the wrestlers belt buckle. I expect to place my order soon.

michael

I considered for a few weeks that PM1640, but its too much tool for 2 little money, you get what you pay for. That dreadful bondo job on the cast iron and paint looking like it was slobbered on by drunken monkeys should be a tip off. I agree with the other posters that none of the RML type lathes sold by a variety of sellers can compete on paper with the Griz price. ISO factories may make a difference, I don't know. Maybe the Grizzly chucks stink, maybe the electrics ****...... Only 2 real humans have related their experience with the machine to me. They both love it and are happy to have it in their shop. I believe the Griz is the old South Bend Turn Ado with different graphics and the wrestlers belt buckle. I expect to place my order soon.

michael

So Michael are you saying you plan to order a G0670? Is there any input from the other two people you can share? I confirmed today that Grizzly has plenty of G0670 stock on hand ready to ship. Also the sale price because its in the 2015 catalog should be good for the whole year. I think I will start a G0670 thread since that's where I'm heading.

coolidge, PM me when you are ready to pull the trigger. The offer to take delivery here is still good.

Yes I plan on ordering one, I am just waiting of firm ship times and getting that to coincide with when my rigger is available to politely place it where I want.... about 8 feet across from other lathe. don't want the lathe showing up while my rigger is gone for a week on out of town job. I spoke on the phone with one gentleman who I imagine prefers to stay anonymous... he is a somewhat famous gunsmith and supplier of accessories for that trade. He does not spend time on bulletin boards, but was put in contact with me by a third party. He said he loved the machine , ran it off a rotary phase converter of 10 hp and other than he bought a better chuck has done nothing else to it. Another fellow off of Snipers Hide bought one and mentioned that he was very happy. Even the King of PM board said it looked like a not bad machine except for the belt buckle.

I am spoiled , I turn on one the worlds finest high precision lathes, I love it, but it has less than 20" between centers and 12.5" swing. In most every way conceivable it is worlds better than the Griz or any other lathe from that neck of the woods, but it has a small work envelope to be sure.

My main attractions to the G0670 is the t slot cross slide, variable speed, relatively high speed, made in Taiwan. Negatives IMO are most likely chuck quality, high rise tailstock, compared to the low, long American style of tailstock from the 50s etc. Minor nit picks are the chucks are included, great if they are good, but does anyone really expect them to be Bison or better quality. My last concern is its a crap shoot, no local dealer for help. I know enough guys with 10ee lathes that if I have problems they can lend their knowledge and experience, not so with the G0670.

I might have ordered the similar machine from QM, but they could not get me specs on machine or the manual, plus their price for the 14" was more than the Griz 16". That is about all I know.

Hope this helps
michael

Jim duly noted and appreciated I'll be in touch.

Michael thanks for the info, please join me in the G0670 I started to continue this discussion. I agree on the T slot cross slide, one wild idea is a live tooling head for off axis work. Agree with you on the chucks an option to delete the chucks and save a few bucks would be nice. Yeah the belt buckle...I may have to debadge it.

Back