G0704 CNC Conversion (yes, another thread on this :) )

Fixed and mounted!

IMG_1293.jpeg

IMG_1294.jpeg

That's actually good. Means you have a lot of adjustment left in the gib. Screwing it down increases the tightness. On my G0704, it hangs out at least that much below the slide and isn't tight enough. Need to scrape in a new gib.

I highly recommend purchasing some Hi-Spot blue and checking the gib/slide fitup. It is probably worse than you think. Some of that can be corrected with gentle bending (if the gib is bowed) or locally scraping/lapping off high spots.

I have the blues! :) . I will remove them and do that. Thank you!

IMG_1297.jpeg

Just whistle while you work...
And soon you'll find you're dancing to the tune
When hearts are high the time will fly so whistle while you work
So whistle while you work...

IMG_1299.jpeg

IMG_1302.jpeg

IMG_1303.jpeg

View attachment 372213

Just whistle while you work...
And soon you'll find you're dancing to the tune
When hearts are high the time will fly so whistle while you work
So whistle while you work...

View attachment 372214

View attachment 372215

View attachment 372217
So you have found that your gibs aren't all the flat - not surprising. You should check the fit often to make sure you don't take too much off.

Also, I'd recommend some Dykem high-spot blue rather than your dkyem steel blue. The high spot blue is a non-drying oil pigment that can be applied to the ways of your column. The gib is then installed and lightly slid (only a few inches) and removed. The blue points are the only points of contact. Sanding it against the table does not truly reveal the nature of the gib fit to the ways. If the blue points are near the ends, the gib is bent. If they are only on one long edge, the gib may be cut at the wrong angle, if they are only a stripe down the middle then the face of the gib is not flat. Etc.

Happy to describe more in detail if you are unclear.

FYI, replacement gibs are moderately cheap if you mess something up, but shipping is slow.

Mike

Learned something new. Will order that and do this once it gets here. Thank you for the clarification!

I also have a replacement table on order (it is backordered)... because I want to stop looking at all the mistakes that I have made with this one :D

Well... almost done. The amount of parts that are removed is significant... Guessing there are still a few more parts that will need to come off... I need to go back and take a look at the builds from other folks to see what else needs to come off. Once done removing everything that is not needed, I will package all that and store away for future archeologists to analyze when they find it...

IMG_1309.jpeg

I need to make a cover to replace the stock Y-axis way cover (it cracked). I want to make it just a bit wider. I find the stock one to be too narrow... I also need to order a new column accordion cover (Z-axis way cover) that is also cracked...

IMG_1310.jpeg

I got my motors with double shafts... so I ordered some hand wheel jog knobs... Yeah, sorry, not ready to let go of the training wheels just yet... :D

Stepper Knobs.jpeg

And the reason I wanted a new table... It is a great conversation piece... a conversation that I really try to avoid, hahahahahahha... shame...shame...

IMG_1311.jpeg

Last edited:
Forgot to add the photo of the parts removed so far...

IMG_1323.jpeg

And on further inspection, the protective cover for the Z-axis was fine... so installed that last night....

IMG_1319.jpeg

And something silly... I did not like having mismatched colors.... the vise had blue in it... well, that would not do anymore... painted that to match the hammered green of the G0704....

It was also a good opportunity to clean and re-grease everything.

Yes, I know, that is the bottom side. Never to be seen when in used... but I would have known...

IMG_1321.jpeg

Here you can see some of the blue color before I painted it green...

IMG_1322.jpeg

Let it dry...

IMG_1324.jpeg

I will clean, with a razor blade, the small spots where there was no tape... And yes, I too can see the newbie mistakes of bits getting to the vise... luckily it does not impact the functionality of it... only my ego...

IMG_1326.jpeg

Done with the vise... ...amazing how easily I get distracted. Look! Squirrel!!!

IMG_1328.jpeg

Ya ... my shop is probably as full of squirrels as yours is. Sure glad I'm retired, or I'd have been fired long ago!

Back