G0704 CNC Conversion (yes, another thread on this :) )

Lots to answer back to here. Just got back from a funeral so it might take me a minute to get responses!

Panel is looking great! Awesome job.

Stepper motors will get warm/hot. This is fine. They should be good to 200F or so, usually hotter than I prefer to run them. If they are too hot, reduce the current limit on the drive or live with the temp. I would not turn on idle current reduction, it is not appropriate for CNC machines which can be loaded up at any time. Better for pick and place type setups.

You might find the braided cable jacket on the steppers to collect dirt, chips, and coolant. Perhaps heat shrink over it?

Higher steps per inch gives increased resolution to a point, however the higher step counts have lower torque in those intermediate positions, so don't expect too much beyond say 1600 steps per rev.

A funeral? Sorry to hear :concerned:.

Braided cover is of my own doing... thought it would be good but forgot about trapped dirt... Figured it would be a good cover over the 8 to 4 connection that I made there. Will cover all that with some heat shrink tube...

E-stop arrived... Now installed. Wiring to be done when the relay gets here...

IMG_3287.jpg

This case is heavy. I need to install some handles on top to make it easier to move around.

You may wish to install a port which allows you to wire a remote ESTOP in series with the original one. You want that ESTOP right next to you if anything goes wrong.

You may wish to install a port which allows you to wire a remote ESTOP in series with the original one. You want that ESTOP right next to you if anything goes wrong.

I also have the pendant... with the 20 thousand wires still needing connecting:oops::D

Oh right... Yeah that one is a pain. Do it right once and you'll love the pendant!

The screws are 5mm pitch or 5.08 TPI.

...Higher steps per inch gives increased resolution to a point, however the higher step counts have lower torque in those intermediate positions, so don't expect too much beyond say 1600 steps per rev.

So... if I stay at say, 1600 steps/rev / 1.016 inch/rev = 1,575 steps/inch ... Am I calculating that correctly?

5 revolutions at 5mm pitch = .984252 inches of travel. This would occur after 1600*5 = 8000 steps. If 8000 steps equals .984252 inches then X steps equals 1.0000 inches. (1/.984252)*8000 = 8128 steps per inch.

There will be a rounding error due to the metric leadscrews of .00000004 inches per inch of travel. Trust me, you aren't going to care :) This can become more significant with different microstepping selections.

Last edited:
Waiting on safety relay to finish the electronics. This should be here between today and tomorrow. With that the box will be done, that is, until I try to tackle the install of the pendant (I am really dreading that, lol, so many wires!!! )

Waiting on the G0704 adapters and lead screws from Dave. Those should be here next week if all goes well.

LEDs finally came in... had to cancel original order and find another vendor... these are bright!! Sorry, forgot to take a photo when I tested them... will do so later.

Looking forward to better illumination when working with the mill.

Glued in place and will cover the wires together with heat shrink sleeve...

IMG_3441.jpg

Back