Group Project: Dividing Head - The Build

What’s the plan on the trunions?

I did get the material. I think I can make them? Would be about $40 to ship it all to someone else.

Two mediums would definitely do it. The medium box is 13-5/8 wide so you could get 4 pieces in there.
I blame Jeff for not designing based on the USPS boxes...
R

Last edited:
14*12*3.5 is the size of the box for a medium. So you could do 2 ish in the 14" dimension. Then 3 wide is 2*3==6 per box, so 2 medium boxes.

Large box is 12*12*6. You could do 2 layers (since there will be some extra area to stack) which might fit all of them.

Reactions: rwm
The pass around box i think is in the medium? If not then the large. They have been pushing that to the max at around 70# with no issues.

No question that shipping cost are going to be high for this project. Did we decide we are shipping everything to one person for assembly or are we shipping parts to multiple individuals separately? The first set of parts will need to go separately to the QA person (I assume Jeff?) If we are shipping to individuals that would leave 6 additional packages for each of us to ship.
I'm gonna have to ship 20 lbs of brass to Erich and they he will ship all of that back out! Shotgun and I are relatively close. Mableton GA is on the other side of that ATL mess...
If we have one assembler, one option would be to ship all the parts there and then everyone could pay to have their completed device shipped to them (just as if you had ordered a dividing head.) Just a thought, I am comfortable with whatever makes the most sense. I don't want people with heavy parts to get short changed.
Robert

Last edited:
No question that shipping cost are going to be high for this project. Did we decide we are shipping everything to one person for assembly or are we shipping parts to multiple individuals separately? The first set of parts will need to go separately to the QA person (I assume Jeff?) If we are shipping to individuals that would leave 6 additional packages for each of us to ship.
I'm gonna have to ship 20 lbs of brass to Erich and they he will ship all of that back out! Shotgun and I are relatively close. Mableton GA is on the other side of that ATL mess...
If we have one assembler, one option would be to ship all the parts there and then everyone could pay to have their completed device shipped to them (just as if you had ordered a dividing head.) Just a thought, I am comfortable with whatever makes the most sense. I don't want people with heavy parts to get short changed.
Robert
I was comfortable with everyone shipping me there small parts and putting together kits. No matter what, I've got all the 3/4" thick stuff, and each head is only going to half fill a box. Most of you, with @Ianagos being the exception I think, can ship all your parts in one box.

I say I'll put together a kit, 'cause I figure y'all will want the fun of putting it together the first time. I know I will.

@Ianagos , you're just the other side of Atlanta? @rwm is in Charlotte? Maybe you go ahead and get the trunnion put together and we can have a meetup in Charlotte. I have a stepson there that's always wanting us to visit. BTW, I still need to get a gauge to you.

But, before I can make the guage, I have to finish the holesaw arbor. I was done with everything last night, except for the MT3 taper. Copying another tool, I needed to taper from .941" down to .791". I got my tailstock offset, and made a dead center for the headstock, and turned down to a perfect .941" to .741". (Look at the numbers close. Not a typo. I get a chance to make this one again.)
KIMG0791[1].JPG

On much better news, I got all the rough cutting for the main base done. I don't know if I'll be forced to attend counselling for bandsaw abuse, though.

KIMG0790[1].JPGKIMG0789[1].JPGKIMG0788[1].JPGKIMG0787[1].JPG

Back