hand cleaners & soaps

road

Active User
Registered
After working in the shop depending on the job. Our hands can get greasy or just dirty.

I use a Gojo type product. I prefer a heavy pumice with no perfume oils.

I was thinking of making my own bars of pumice soap for a new project.

What is your hand cleaner or soap of choice ?

I usually use a liquid soap, but I have the GoJo Orange Hand Cleaner here too, it has pumice in it and it works well. It comes in handy when I get into dirtier situations. When I get into especially grungy projects, with lots of old grease (old tractors, trucks, cars, etc.) I use a trick that an old timer showed me years ago when I worked on heavy equipment: take a small amount (about a tablespoon or two) of clean 10 weight motor oil, hydraulic oil, or ATF (your choice) and use it on your hands to get the grunge all loosened up, then wash your hands normally with a good soap. Works like a charm!

The surest way to get your hands clean, even after you've washed them ten times and the ground in stuff won't come off is to eat a grilled cheese sandwich. After handling a greasy sandwich like that, wipe your 'clean' hands on a napkin or pick up your white coffee cup and you'll see what I mean.

I have a big bottle of Gojo under the sink, but for some reason I find myself using regular old Dawn dish soap. That stuff is alot stronger than people think. I do keep an old towel for "after garage" cleanup. It doesn't take much missed oil to mess up the good towels in the kitchen.

I just recently discovered that Lava hand soap is still available, so you don't need to make your own pumice soap bars.
GoJo works fine and so does Dawn, but I use whatever is available.

Most of the time, I wear work gloves as long as it's safe. That cuts down the need for harsh cleaners.

On a side note, a buddy of mine who services sewage pumps told me that eating fried chicken is the best way for him to get his hands clean.:jester:

I just recently discovered that Lava hand soap is still available, so you don't need to make your own pumice soap bars.
GoJo works fine and so does Dawn, but I use whatever is available.

I have been using Lava soap for a few years now and it really gets my hands clean with the added benefit that it has lanolin and keeps my hands from drying out and the skin from cracking. I live in a very dry climate area and it really helps.

Ron

I keep Boraxo hand cleaner in my bathroom. IMHO few things work better, but you need water to use it.

My shop is not heated and does not have running water so I use GOJO fast wipes. They work pretty good as well.

my wife bought some of those home made scented soaps at a stand a church bazzar. I think they were more to look at and smell nice, but I started using the soap when the dove bar of soap ran out. I don't know what is in those home made soaps, but they strip everything off you hands. Probably granny clampets lye soap!!

Chris

Last edited:
Lava soap or Fast Orange. The Fast Orange is good in the shop next to the mess your making as it can be used waterless. No perfumes, but it does have a natural sent of orange.

Mark

After working in the shop depending on the job. Our hands can get greasy or just dirty.

I use a Gojo type product. I prefer a heavy pumice with no perfume oils.

I was thinking of making my own bars of pumice soap for a new project.

What is your hand cleaner or soap of choice ?

My Dad liked Goop hand cleaner. I have used it and also Lava. I remember using the orange smelling hand cleaner a few times.

Back