hand cleaners & soaps

12-30-14 12:51 PM

Greetings: Got your Q in regards to hand cleaner.. I use an emulsion type hand cleaner.

One brand is "HURCULES HAND SOAP ( WATERLESS ) which I believe is sold by Menards, however these
waterless hand cleaners are sold by auto parts supplier houses. I have used these types of hand cleaners
for many years with very good results. Remember - buy the "waterless" type. In the interim
please reply if you have any questions.

Regards & a happy new year """ :))

jbollman

My son-in-law made and sold such soap for awhile. Yep. Lye.

I knew lye soap I used was really good so I looked it up last week after commenting on it and found that it is also great for people with dry skin (like me). The lye and lard chemically combine to make soap, ther is no lye or lard left in the soap, but it does have glycerin which acts as a moisturizer. I bought some and have been using it this week on the shower. Never felt so clean In my life and my skin does feel less
dry. When I got out of the shower today I could not believe how clean my hands are, I don't think they have been that clean in years.

Chris

I guess I'm the weird one.
I use laundry powder, its very abrasive when first used and does take a lot of running water to remove once hands are clean.
Yes, its a bit harsh but it has never caused a problem for me and gets my hands spotless.

+1, just use whatever liquid soap the missus has bought, mix in a handful of whatever washing powder there is and away you go...

definitely the right way to find any nick / cuts though.... nips a bit !!

Any orange hand cleaner works here, GoJo, fast orange, etc. I like the ones with coarse pumice, finer pumice does nothing.

I use this pumice type stuff I get for my workers and it works great for serious grime. I seem to get more Dykem Blue on my fingers than grease so I use lacquer thinner. Yes, I know the hazards...

Lacquer Thinner is NASTY and different formulations can have all sorts of stuff in it. MEK, Methylene Chloride, Trichloroethane, etc. Outdoors or under a hood only!

Dykem is readily soluble in Alcohol (denatured Methanol works best) and it's a LOT less hazardous to both skin and lung, etc due to the very small amount of denaturant added (used to be Benzene, I don't know what they use now). If that's not safe enough a little isopropyl will work as well, albeit a little slower.

Back