Headers for my MG Midget

Tacking didn't get very far. Ran out of wire. Will have to order some more. 80 mile round trip to the nearest Home Depot that has the Lincoln 211 wire I like to use. It will be a week or two at least what with the Xmas shipping delays before I will get the wire. I did get the tubes cut and fitted for the #4 cylinder. Turned out to be easier than I thought it would be. I did it just like how I had to draw it in the 3d model. Got it right on the first cut.

Have other projects to work on while I wait for the wire to show up. Going to make a rack for my lathe chucks and replace the shelves in the lathe bench with drawers. That will keep me busy. The garage/shop is due for it's annual straighten up and put things away too. Be good to start the new year with a neat and tidy shop.

Edit: Decided to try some Blue Demon wire because the description mentioned it was good for sheet metal. Most of what I weld is sheet metal. Should get it the week before Xmas.

Last edited:
Back at this morning. I am trying Blue Demon wire to see how it works. So far so good. Besides using small magnets to hold the tubes together I also use strips of copper held in place by hose clamps. The copper won't weld to the steel tube. Works pretty good. Finished tack welding all of the tubes together this morning. First up this afternoon will be to finish welding the collector together. Then finish welding the tubes and finally tack weld the tubes to the collector and the exhaust flange. If I get that far today.

IMG_4000.JPG

IMG_4001.JPG

I'm super impressed!

I got the collector and 3 of the tubes welded this afternoon. Will finish the last tube tomorrow. Then I will do a leak test. Plug up one end and fill it with water. I will be very surprised if I don't have any leaks. My welding skills are not great. I plan to do a lot of grinding to make the welds look better. Once I have everything the way I want it I will tack the tubes to the collector and the exhaust flange.

To say that my welding skills leave much to be desired is an understatement. I had a few leaks in each tube and the collector. Got the collector and one tube sealed up. Just can't seem to get the leaks in the other tubes fixed. I'll try again tomorrow.

Was able to get back to this project this afternoon. Got the leaks fixed in another tube. Two more to go.

Oooo, header design and building, one of my favorite side projects! The first one is on a stock Honda H22A1, and the second is a 321 stainless build going onto a turbocharged Honda K24, both scratch-built cars.

1609900774013.png
1609900817059.png

Last edited:
Nice work on your headers. I started off wanting a 4-2-1 header for my spridget. Then reality set in that there was just no way that I could fit that in the confines of the engine bay. After considering my options I decided to just get the exhaust out of the engine bay. That really simplified the headers.

I really like your midlana design. When I get done with the spridget I might do something like that.

For those of you on the forum who don't know what a spridget is, it is the nickname for Austin Healy Sprites and MG Midgets. The cars are identical except for trim and the name. Hence the name spridget or spridgets

Back