[4]

Winner Home Grown Cutter Grinder

• Thread starter Deleted member 17524
  • Start date
[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 17524

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
Single Pulley has two brass machine screws holding it to the spigot. The double has two "Dutchmen". On to the grooves.

"Billy G"

102_0634 (800 x 531).jpg

D

Deleted member 17524

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
Where is RayC? 30* included angle, 10* side rake both sides. Needs a 1/8" radius on the nose with the same rake an we can cut the grooves. That is hand ground folks. You could shave with that edge. :lmao: The tool is 3/8 X 3/8 X 6 Cobalt.

"Billy G"

102_0635 (800 x 531).jpg 102_0636 (800 x 531).jpg

Walltoddj

Active User
Registered
Where is RayC? 30* included angle, 10* side rake both sides. Needs a 1/8" radius on the nose with the same rake an we can cut the grooves. That is hand ground folks. You could shave with that edge. :lmao: The tool is 3/8 X 3/8 X 6 Cobalt.

"Billy G"
Nice job Bill!
I learned years ago it's not worth my time to hand grind it's seems to me with all the sine bars and toolmaker vises I've been able to grind the tool the repeat again if needed. I'm probable spoiled with my surface grinder but I like the repeatability when grinding a tool of that nature. Again that's a great job you did by hand.

Todd

D

Deleted member 17524

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
That's it for the Drive Pulley. The groove profile looks much better that that. I didn't hold it straight. The slight angle makes it look funny. Sorry.

"Billy G"

102_0638 (800 x 531).jpg 102_0639 (800 x 531).jpg

Walltoddj

Active User
Registered
That's it for the Drive Pulley.

"Billy G"
Bill what type of drive belt are you using? I didn't think about it till now but my Brown & Sharpe 618 uses o-rings to drive the spindle on the grinder there are 6.

Todd

D

Deleted member 17524

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
I'm going with 3/8" round belts also. My local hardware store carries it. It is continuous length and you epoxy the ends together. I have never seen a joint fail.

"Billy G"

D

Deleted member 17524

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
Both are done now. I believe they are the last two parts. One more check before final assembly. It's been one heck of a journey.

"Billy G"

102_0640 (800 x 531).jpg

David S

Active User
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
I'm going with 3/8" round belts also. My local hardware store carries it. It is continuous length and you epoxy the ends together. I have never seen a joint fail.

"Billy G"
Bill could you provide a link or a name for the belt.

Thank you David

chips&more

Active User
Registered
Nice job! For a note to ponder. The Levin manufacturing company (for example) has found that a 53° included angle works best for round belt drives. Apparently this angle has been found to have the best grip.

D

Deleted member 17524

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
Bill could you provide a link or a name for the belt.

Thank you David
David -- The belting is available thru McMaster Carr.

"Billy G"

D

Deleted member 17524

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
First run up was a complete success. Ran it for 15 minutes. Tomorrow I will reset the preload on the bearings or at least check it. Pictures to follow. I am extremely happy with this project.

"Billy G"

David S

Active User
First run up was a complete success. Ran it for 15 minutes. Tomorrow I will reset the preload on the bearings or at least check it. Pictures to follow. I am extremely happy with this project.

"Billy G"
Well Bill I am sure I speak for many of us that have followed this thread, when I say I have been very happy following this, and when it is all done will have withdrawal symptoms for sure.

Can't wait to see it in action.
All the best

David

D

Deleted member 17524

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
Today we work on the drain and the apron that edges it whole thing. It's all cosmetics from here.

"Billy G"

D

Deleted member 17524

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
The catch basin was first. Parts were purchased for this. I stumbled onto the SS part at Walmart. The assemble Pic #2. The drain pipe had to be modified to accept the strainer. The bore was opened up .060, 1" deep. The flange was made smaller and the inside radius made smaller to accept the rim of the strainer.

"Billy G"

102_0641 (800 x 531).jpg 102_0642 (800 x 531).jpg 102_0643 (800 x 531).jpg

dave2176

Active User
Registered
Definitely near the finish line now! What a pleasant and educational journey it has been!!
Hear, hear. The only way to improve on this would be a field trip to Bill's house for a personal look.

Dave

D

Deleted member 17524

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
With a good belt and the bearings preloaded again, I ran it for 20 minutes and checked the run out at the nose. It is less than .0001. I used a .0001 gage. It is good to go. This may or may not hold, it depends on bearing wear. Only time will tell.

"Billy G"

Last edited by a moderator:

hvontres

Active User
With a good belt and the bearings preloaded again, I ran it for 20 minutes and checked the run out at the nose. It is less than .0001. I used a .0001 gage. It is good to go. This may or may not hold, it depends on bearing wear. Only time will tell.

"Billy G"
Congratulatons on a well done projcet.

(ponders how many dull enmill would fit in a medium flat rate box)...:)

D

Deleted member 17524

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
Over the next few days we will button this project up. For the most part it is finished. A belt guard must be made. The apron and legs done and the plumbing installed. At this time I would like to thank the 600 people that visited this project. It has been my pleasure to do this project for you viewing. I did it for two reasons, the obvious being I needed one. The other was to show that the big machines are not really needed on a project of this magnitude. All I have are a Clausing 8520 Mill and a Jet 9X20 lathe.

I will continue to post as I finish up. Today I will take on the apron parts then the legs. The legs will be adjustable to level the machine.

"Billy G"

Impressive:

21,000 plus views ---- 770 plus replies ---- 600 visitors.

Last edited by a moderator:

David S

Active User
Bill there are probably more statistics in the "thanks" and "likes" section, but it seems to have disappeared.

D

Deleted member 17524

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
The drain plumbing was a simple matter. Now on to the Coolant Feed line.

"Billy G"

102_0645 (800 x 531).jpg

DMS

Active User
Registered

"Billy G"
That's excellent Bill. Do you recall the part number of the bearings you used?

D

Deleted member 17524

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
They were high end Timken, I'll look up the PN for you.

"Billy G"

xalky

Global Moderator
Registered
I'm looking forward to your first sharpening project(s). :))

DMS

Active User
Registered
They were high end Timken, I'll look up the PN for you.

"Billy G"
I appreciate it Bill. I am working on the design for a 4th axis, and I keep vacillating between tapered rollers or angular contact bearings. If the bearings you are using are reasonably priced, then their larger brothers may be an option for me, otherwise I will go with my current plan of angular contact bearings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
[6]
[5] [7]