[4]

Winner Home Grown Cutter Grinder

• Thread starter Deleted member 17524
  • Start date
[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!
Status
Not open for further replies.

Guv

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
Bill,if you want to sharpen small end mills,I might suggest you make a "finger" that is thin and flat,but rigid enough to stand the pressure of the grinding wheel. That round finger will be fine for large end mills,but way too fat for grinding,say,a 1/8" end mill. I'm not sure how small you can grind with the round finger,but my old Weldon has a flat finger that tapers up to a rounded tip. The base of the finger is thicker than the tip in both width and thickness. Probably a spring temper. I can do 1/16" end mills with it. The flat finger is thin enough to get into very small flutes.

Can you rock the cutter away from the wheel on the return trip? My Weldon also has that ability. It would be hard to keep the finger on the flute for the return trip if it were against the wheel.
The Cutter Grinder is at it's new station where my lathe used to be.. Now to put it to work. Thank you all for following along. As said it has been one h-e-l-l of a journey but fun.

"Billy G"
What a brilliant project. Bill you are a master of machining. It is an inspiration to us all. This was ddefinitely the best thread I ever followed
Regards, Willy

34_40

Just a beginner
Bill , I'd like to also offer my thanks! First for sharing your knowledge but more importantly for making the time to take pics and making the time to post them with a write up and description of each step.

As a relative newcomer I wanted to let you know that I did learn some valuable lessons. Thank You!

Derek999

Registered
Bill
I am a newby (at 68) and slowly learning how to do what I have long wished to, following retirement.
Your project has been an absolute inspiration for me, and in the absence of any tuition courses either locally or more distant, has taught me a great deal that could have taken years of trial and error otherwise.
The accolade of "project of the month" was richly and thoroughly deserved and I take off my hat to you for not only the wonderful engineering, but the superlative photography, which made everything clear and understandable for all, expert or novice.
Some day I sincerely hope to even begin to approach the beautiful work standards you have exhibited.
I look forward to your next project immensely.
Thank you for the time and dedication you put into this fabulous project - I am in awe!

Derek
Bonny Scotland

cjtoombs

Active User
Registered
Ordered them today. Will be here in two weeks.

"Billy G"
Bill,

I was wondering if you had had a chance to look these plans over. The design seemed to inlcude some things not normaly available on shapers (in this size range, anyway). I probably won't be building one any time soon, as I already have 4 ranging from 7" to 16" (the're like puppies, I just can't seem to not bring them home), but some of the unique features might be adaptable to other, existing shapers.

CJ

D

Deleted member 17524

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
Yes I have but I need a second set of eyes to help. Marcel and I are going to get together and look them over again. I will say that they are complete and that you are correct, there are things not normally seen. This is definitely out of range for a new person.

"Billy G"

cjtoombs

Active User
Registered
Yes, looking at the pictures of it I expected the build to be extreemely time consuming and requiring a fairly well equiped shop.

D

Deleted member 17524

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
I am going to try to get together with Marcel this week. My wife is just settling in from the home. It may not happen. As I see it this will be a 2 shop build. Marcel has the heavier mill. (Bridgeport) He also has the welding equipment on hand. I am not a welder.

"Billy G"

O

ome

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
Hi Bill,
I have been following your machine build, and All I can say is , you are a gifted man, with unbounded ambition and talent. All that, and you are an all around great person.
I know you have been blessed this time around with some very special gifts, and you always are the first to share.
Takes a special person to do what you do and how you do it.
Thank You for inspiring me to practice and not give up.
I love the way you pace your self, once I get started, time does not seem to exist.
10 hours go by like a breeze.
You are teaching me alot, just by your actions.
That is truly a challenge in this age, to align your words, actions, and thoughts all towards goodness and truth, and making machines!
Jon

JimSimmons

Registered
Matt, I have the print for that one. I haven't totally ruled it out yet. It is a nice design.

"Billy G"

- - - Updated - - -

The arm was slit with 3 of these gang mounted. It was done in two passes, one from each side. It is just under .125 wide.

"Billy G"
Bill, Why does the slot have to be that wide (0.125")? It would seem to me that it could be only half of that to be enough, but you are the expert - not I.

D

Deleted member 17524

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
Bill, Why does the slot have to be that wide (0.125")? It would seem to me that it could be only half of that to be enough, but you are the expert - not I.
The slot does not have to be that big Jim. It is my way of doing it to compensate for error in the boring of the hole.

"Billy G"

- - - Updated - - -

Have thoroughly enjoyed this build so far, you do very nice work. Just curious, did you machine your ER20 taper with the spindle on its own bearings?
Dr. D -- Yes I machined the WR20 Taper in the spindle.

"Billy G"

Dr. Duzlittler

Registered
The slot does not have to be that big Jim. It is my way of doing it to compensate for error in the boring of the hole.

"Billy G"

- - - Updated - - -

Dr. D -- Yes I machined the WR20 Taper in the spindle.

"Billy G"
What I was asking was, did you cut your taper by turning the spindle on its OWN bearings?

tractorman44

Registered
Bill, being relatively new to the forum, relatively new to machine tool technology but relatively old as compared to a teenager, may I add to the hundreds of comments that you and your project show an unprecedented level of talent and ability. What tenacity you have shown with what is surely one daunting project to the experienced hobbiest as well as the neophyte !!! I was able to glean a great number of tips watching your thoughful and creative build. A simple "thank you" is all I really have to offer...

D

Deleted member 17524

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
What I was asking was, did you cut your taper by turning the spindle on its OWN bearings?
OOOPS Sorry. No I cut the taper while in the 4 jaw cutting the spindle OD. It is not a thru hole spindle.

"Billy G"

jim duncan

Registered
I do not know how to navigate your site. In am a retired tool maker / mach. n8dqu@yahoo.net I have much to share,... but don't know how to get around your site.

joebiplane

Active User
I went shopping with the little woman and found that Sheet Cake Pan at a restaurant supply house. The wheels started turning an "Billy G" :thinking:[/QUOTE said:
Bill,
I just bought a SBL 187 Y 36" heavy tenView attachment 78308 and as you can see it is missing a chip tray
I'm quite certain the needed length will be about 30 inches and that tray in your p0ost looks about that long.
I'll check a lo9cal restaurant supply house near me and see how I make out. is your's stainless as I would assume ?

thanks for the brainstorm....it work for me

joe larsen

foleda

Registered
The Cutter Grinder is at it's new station where my lathe used to be.. Now to put it to work. Thank you all for following along. As said it has been one h-e-l-l of a journey but fun.

"Billy G"
Great build, thanks for sharing. Perhaps I missed it, but I did not see a post reporting on using it. Sorry if I missed it, please point me to it. If not, could you tell us how it is working, are you satisfied, anything you would change? I'd also love to see a video of it in action but I know doing a video is time consuming and I am sure you'd rather be in the shop building something.

ezduzit

Active User
Registered
88433d1381874036-old-machinery-what-s-point-dsc00452.jpg
I think it needs some racing stripes.

Remember when machinery came with pin-striping?

88433d1381874036-old-machinery-what-s-point-dsc00452.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
U

umahunter

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
Awesome project very well done

WDG

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
I'm jealous. My bucket list is the size of a 55 gallon drum. Don't know when I could start a project like this. I think I have my answer as to trying to get into the sharpening business. I hope to get a coolant system the floods rather than just mists for my BD. I will have to make some splash sides for it but I believe it will do better. I want to be able to use it on my surface grinder too.

Riaan

Registered
I'm a bit late to this party and I hope you will forgive me this threadomancy, but I just had to express my appreciation and gobsmacktitude at this phenomenal piece of work, the effort and dedication that went into it and your thoughtful sharing of your knowledge.

Thank you! You are an inspiration to every budding machinist, and probably the old hands too.

(PS You never did post about how it performs! :))

ezduzit

Active User
Registered
I think he was afraid we were going to send him all our dull end mills for sharpening.

In the meantime I picked up this like new Baldor carbide grinder for $600.

baldor-500-1_zpsee2pas05.jpg

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 17524

Guest - Please Register!
Guest - Please Register!
Nope not that, I just forgot. It had speed problems at first. RPMs were not steady. It was the belt. It was on the hairy edge of being loose. New belt fixed it all up. It can grind anything it can hold. It has gone way beyond my expectations.

"Billy G"

Status
Not open for further replies.
[5] [7]