How do you remove metal stuck to your shoes before walking into the house?

How about something like these? Not sure how stiff the bristles are though.

View attachment 292378View attachment 292379
View attachment 292380

I'm going to make one of these but with cheap angle grinders running brass wire wheels and an air blaster..... right inside the shop door....
9rz71_as02-jpeg-jpg.292380

I have my one of my two Geisha girls remove them from the soles of my shoes with silver tweezers while the other massages my tired feet ....!!!! Wake up you lazy sot, and get those filthy shoes out of my house right this minute! Well a guy can dream. ;) Mike

The type of sole on the shoe matters also. Soft soles tend to pick up the chips easier than hard sole shoes

Agree . I always wore work boots even though I was in my basement . The chips migrated thru out the upstairs no matter what I tried . My biggest problem was with the smell and smoke of the cutting oil .

Agree . I always wore work boots even though I was in my basement . The chips migrated thru out the upstairs no matter what I tried . My biggest problem was with the smell and smoke of the cutting oil .

I wish I could make my house smell like cutting oil your lucky....

Shop-dedicated shoes and an apron keep most of the chips out. After going to the shoe protocol I found most of the chips were coming in on me, hence the apron.

I looked at sticky mats (they were used all over the place where I worked) but they seemed pretty expensive for what they are.

Keeping the shop floor clean also helps keep ships from migrating into the house or other places I don't want them. But it seems there will always be a few that find their way into the house. I quietly pick them up when I find them....

Agree chips keep coming in no mater what, Had diff shoes, and apron in the shop, they did not come in the house but some how chips still getting in. Found that they still get in clothes, hair, beard etc. So finally just say I do the best I can, and she gets over it.

I recently got married, for the first time at age 68, and have known my wife for 36+ years. She hasn't said a negative thing about chips or anything related to the shop -- so far! We need to sell both of our houses and buy one that fits us better at this time of life, and we happily agree that we need to park both of our cars inside AND have a proper dedicated shop for me. So far...

Back