How Many of You Guys Have Multiple Same Tools? Also, I Need Your Opinion

Too funny. Don't you just love the like minded people in this Forum!!
At one point my wife suggested I buy old machines, fix them up and sell them. I don't think I could ever sell one.
Susan, by now you have the answer to your questions. We all have multiples.
I think a sad scene would be someone who finally gets the tools and tooling they have worked hard to acquire, then lose the ability to use them.
On a lighter note, having all your tools plugged in and ready to go is a big plus. IMHO anyway.
Sell the Chinese, as long as you have a good workable drill press that is.

Back to your original question about duplicates, and all the answers that have been posted. Do you maybe get the feeling of having tried to get a sip of water ... out of a fire hydrant?
Yup..

Too funny. Don't you just love the like minded people in this Forum!!
At one point my wife suggested I buy old machines, fix them up and sell them. I don't think I could ever sell one.
Susan, by now you have the answer to your questions. We all have multiples.
I think a sad scene would be someone who finally gets the tools and tooling they have worked hard to acquire, then lose the ability to use them.
On a lighter note, having all your tools plugged in and ready to go is a big plus. IMHO anyway.
Sell the Chinese, as long as you have a good workable drill press that is.

@Janderso,
Your comment about losing the ability to use the tools is ironic to me since I have advanced rheumatoid arthritis and fibromyalgia (main reasons why it's taking me so long to organize my workshop). My attitude was that, despite my physical limitations, if I don't pursue what I really wanted to do (make stuff and share equipment with others), I would regret it later when I am physically unable to pursue it, even if I wanted to. Life is too short to not, "go for it," in my opinion - especially now when time seems to go by faster as I age (ugh).

Last edited:
Not me tools have no affection to me . I only have at least three of each . Yes me isn't a tool collector. Well not to many . Keep the craftsmen , Mr wen isn't in its class.

****UPDATE***
Yesterday, I texted the guy with the vise, and told him I could offer my Wen drill press instead. I haven't gotten any reply from him yet.
Oh, well. I can easily buy the same vise another time, when I am less broke off ebay or craigslist. No big deal :)
I guess I can put a craigslist ad up for the Wen drill after I remove the column rack/track and gear mechanism that allows you to elevate the drill table. I think i can jimmy rig it to work on my Atlas floor drill press.

I would say yes i own duplicates of many tools and machines and i get remained every so often when my shelfs start to fall from overweight, pick and choose which you like using best and get rid of the the rest if space is tight and don't think you'll ever have enough space if you don't get rid of stuff.
DSC_0007.JPG

Of all the above answers(?), I like the one above about building another barn the best. I am a hoarder of the first degree. Having worked in several professions, each with it's own tool requirements, I have come across any number of tools directly and indirectly. Further, many friends have brought me tools that they had no idea what they did. Or how. And to top it off, I never throw anything away.

This perspective takes a long time in the telling, but is quite applicable to the situation. There was a time I got a serious shock, 480 volts across the chest. Shortly thereafter I quit my job and went out to build houses. This has actually happened several times. Electricity does mess with your head for some time. When I build a deck, I use a cheap, WalMart grade skil saw. When I'm done with the deck, I give the customer the saw. But the used blades are usually recycled. When they don't cut so well and the carbide teeth have lost a few, they become "rough cut" blades on an older saw on old lumber. One where the shaft bearings have some wobble and cut a wide kerf.

When the blades cut there at about the same speed as an acetylene torch, they are mounted on yet another saw with the blade reversed. Then used to cut sheet metal, like roofing. Yes, it does work... quite well. But it will reduce the blade to a circle with sort of a wavy edge. At that point, I take a "blue wrench"(acetylene torch) and cut it down to four "prongs". Then mount the result on wife's sidewalk edger. Of course, the concrete sidewalk chews up such a blade pretty fast, a couple of months at best. The old saw blade is then relagated to a nail out in the barn. Ya never know when you might need a 5/8" fender washer. The junk collecter is just out of luck, I guess.

There were times, too, that I was working out of town state and needed a tool, right now. I know I have two or three of them, but they're home in the shop. A good 48 hour turnaround. And 50 gallons of diesel, both ways. So, I find yet another "tool" and when done with it, it goes into my toolkit. As a professional, there is no such thing as a cheap tool. And I'm certainly not going to just chuck it on the side of the road where I just used it. When I do get home, it usually goes into a bucket, or on the shelf, or in a drawer, whatever, with the other 2 or 3 or 4 that I already have. That's why I have so many "Kleins" in my posession. And drills. And ... take your choice. In any case, I don't junk anything. When I buy something, it's for "keeps". And yes, I'm the same way about machines. But, as a "professional", I would have to say the Wen is not a real tool, just an expensive toy, despite all the gee-gaws it may have. BTW, I would pay your price plus shipping for the Atlas bench mounted drill press.

Bill Hudson​

Last edited:
Back