I survived

My bout with Covid that is, six months of being stuck in bed, two of which were in a comatose state.
When I became aware again I could only move my right index finger, now after four months of re-hab and tracheotomy I have been home
for a month now and re-learning how to walk again. Not fun but I will endeavor to recover fully ASAP !!
Welcome back.

Best wishes for a full and speedy recovery.

I'm wondering if you were fully vaccinated prior to being infected?
I haven't read all the other replies (in case the question has already been asked/answered).

Glad you made it through and are recovering, it has been a very bad course for so many, and recovery can be very protracted.

The Covid variants continue to evolve, the symptoms tend to be different depending on the strain, the current BA.2 Omicron variant seems to be highly contagious. My wife who has been ubber careful since Covid showed up just got it for the first time at an outside lunch with a few friends. At first it seemed like the common cold starting with a sore throat and coughing two weeks ago. She tested strongly positive when I tested her, she was fully vaccinated. Speaking to some of my medical colleagues they recommended that she immediately start Paxlovid (A recently approved anti-retroviral for treatment of Covid), within hours after she started it she started to feel better, and at the end of the 5 day treatment she was almost completely symptom free. It is a prescription drug, but you can go to many pharmacies with an on-site practitioner and they can start you immediately if you test positive. It is recommended for any individual with underlying health problems, or individuals over 65. Ironically it is the same drugs that I ran clinical studies on decades ago for the treatment of HIV. At this point Paxlovid is free, it is provided by the government similar to the Covid vaccinations. My wife is over 65 (she will kill me if I disclose her age), has no medical conditions and is very fit as she plays tennis almost every day. So no risk factors (other than age). Ironically I did not get Covid and I took no special precautions.

The issue even with vaccinated individuals and/or those who have had previous Covid, is that many individuals will still experience long term symptoms after they recover, many people I speak to experience what they call brain fog for weeks after the current variant. Secondary infections and also coagulopathies (clotting) and potential for increased stroke. Decreasing the infectious viral load and duration seems to decrease these risks. So the quicker one identifies that they have Covid and starts treatment, may impact ones outcome, for Paxlovid it must be started within 5 days of infection. Another interesting point is that the current BA.2 variant seems to be more in the mouth, so for testing purpose people are swabbing their mouth and then their nose. There seems to be a higher viral concentration in the saliva.

This information is FYI, I am not endorsing it, I just want to make people aware that there are different treatment options and people should discuss them with their healthcare provider ASAP to see what is recommended/available.

I am fully vaccinated and boosted but recently got Covid. I didn't go to the hospital but it put down for a number of days. The side effect that I had was extreme exhaustion. It is getting much better but for weeks I could not make it through the day without a nap.

Thanks for the info Mark.

Glad you made it through and are recovering, it has been a very bad course for so many, and recovery can be very protracted.

The Covid variants continue to evolve, the symptoms tend to be different depending on the strain, the current BA.2 Omicron variant seems to be highly contagious. My wife who has been ubber careful since Covid showed up just got it for the first time at an outside lunch with a few friends. At first it seemed like the common cold starting with a sore throat and coughing two weeks ago. She tested strongly positive when I tested her, she was fully vaccinated. Speaking to some of my medical colleagues they recommended that she immediately start Paxlovid (A recently approved anti-retroviral for treatment of Covid), within hours after she started it she started to feel better, and at the end of the 5 day treatment she was almost completely symptom free. It is a prescription drug, but you can go to many pharmacies with an on-site practitioner and they can start you immediately if you test positive. It is recommended for any individual with underlying health problems, or individuals over 65. Ironically it is the same drugs that I ran clinical studies on decades ago for the treatment of HIV. At this point Paxlovid is free, it is provided by the government similar to the Covid vaccinations. My wife is over 65 (she will kill me if I disclose her age), has no medical conditions and is very fit as she plays tennis almost every day. So no risk factors (other than age). Ironically I did not get Covid and I took no special precautions.

The issue even with vaccinated individuals and/or those who have had previous Covid, is that many individuals will still experience long term symptoms after they recover, many people I speak to experience what they call brain fog for weeks after the current variant. Secondary infections and also coagulopathies (clotting) and potential for increased stroke. Decreasing the infectious viral load and duration seems to decrease these risks. So the quicker one identifies that they have Covid and starts treatment, may impact ones outcome, for Paxlovid it must be started within 5 days of infection. Another interesting point is that the current BA.2 variant seems to be more in the mouth, so for testing purpose people are swabbing their mouth and then their nose. There seems to be a higher viral concentration in the saliva.

This information is FYI, I am not endorsing it, I just want to make people aware that there are different treatment options and people should discuss them with their healthcare provider ASAP to see what is recommended/available.

I just want to say I appreciate that folks here are still sharing experiences as for the most part Covid is being ignored. My daughter and her BF got this from his stupid careless boss. He decided to throw himself a retirement party and a couple of days before it came up positive. And just went ahead. They tried to stay away from him but my impression was he was acting like everything was normal. Doesn’t help he’s some kind of drama weenie. They both ended up sick and were out of work for 2wks. The BF was real bad and they went to the hospital and they gave him some Paxlovid(which at first they said they were out of) and something to monitor their ox levels. 3 days later they are ok.

My wife works at a prison and infections are the highest they have ever been through the whole pandemic all brought in by staff. I’m glad to be married to somebody who takes this as serious as I do.

My neighbors mom flew from fl to oh to visit her son, and 5 kids, and grandkids, then she came to nj to one of her daughters who just has a grandaughter and daughter staying with her. She had gotten covid in OH, so now she was trying to give it to everyone here. She wanted to see my neighbor, who said no, her son just had a baby and she wanted to be free from covid... SO SHE GETS ON A PLANE AND GOES BACK TO FL. with her freaking covid, sharing it with everyone on the plane... what an ......................... I can't say. so selfish. Anti masker.. I have a lot of really not nice hateful words about how her comfort trumped everyone elses life.

My neighbors mom flew from fl to oh to visit her son, and 5 kids, and grandkids, then she came to nj to one of her daughters who just has a grandaughter and daughter staying with her. She had gotten covid in OH, so now she was trying to give it to everyone here. She wanted to see my neighbor, who said no, her son just had a baby and she wanted to be free from covid... SO SHE GETS ON A PLANE AND GOES BACK TO FL. with her freaking covid, sharing it with everyone on the plane... what an ......................... I can't say. so selfish. Anti masker.. I have a lot of really not nice hateful words about how her comfort trumped everyone elses life.
what has happened to rapid tests proof before flying? My son his wife and their two young kids who live in upstate NY have been waiting come out and just don't seem to find the right time. It's weird to say the least that there is no middle ground. Either you know this is nothing to mess with or they are oblivious. My DIL's family are anti maskers as were my bro and his wife. It's been interesting to see them wake up when they find themselves in the hospital with their lips blue. " I have a lot of really not nice hateful words about how her comfort trumped everyone elses life." Interesting choice of words.

My daughter and one of her best friends were born 2 days apart and so they often have a combined birthday party--which was last Friday at our house. The friend tested positive for Covid over the weekend so all the other attendees are now testing. The trouble is that a person is infectious before the rapid test shows positive so they could potentially be spreading it widely.

All of guests at the party were vaccinated and are young and healthy so I'm not worried about them. (Much. Long covid is a real thing.) But several of them have grandparents or other elderly relatives that need to be protected.

It is just insane that infection control has been almost completely abandoned when we still have infections rampaging. All to mollify a small minority that is anti-science. Grrr

Craig

And my daughter now has symptoms and is testing positive. It will be interesting to see how many of the 8 present at the party will come down with it.

Craig

Back