It's cold up here now...

Nebraska is the only state in America totally served by a consumer-owned public power system delivering electricity as a nonprofit service.
Electricity here is considerably cheaper than CA.
what's the majority of power ? nuke, oil, coal?

-10F right now supposed to hit -18 by morning. Went out and plowed about 12-14" today. Had been letting it build up over the last few days to cut down on fuel use. Glad to be finally getting some decent snow, but nothing like last year. Mike

IMG_20240111_112629398.jpgIMG_20240114_102829472.jpgIMG_20240114_102848848.jpgIMG_20240114_102901044.jpg

Crap . Overslept and have to clear 4 1/2 " of white death off everything to get to work . :cussing::burned up:

Oh ...............wait !!!! I'm RETIRED ! **** it , let the sun melt it ! :coffee break:

what's the majority of power ? nuke, oil, coal?
I suspect coal. The local power comes from a mix of contracts with plants using coal, a wind farm, nuclear plants and natural gas peaking. More wind farm proposals have been fought in court, "Not on my backyard!" I only know of one solar array & it's not very big. There had been a bigger one but a hail storm took it out. We just had a storm that started with freezing sleet, then 10" of drifting snow. The wind turbines, I can see from the road are offline, blades are covered with ice. Went by the solar array and it was covered in ice & snow. Neither has a battery storage system. There is a natural gas peaking plant near where I live. Went by it last night and could see condensate coming out of the building, so it was running. -12°F. There haven't been any major power interruptions for at least 20 years. Back then an ice storm took down a major transmission line. At home, last summer, we lost power for a few hours after a tornado dropped some trees on a power line. System is pretty reliable. I've got a gas fireplace @ home that I can operate w/o any electricity. There are two hydroelectric dams in the state connected into the grid. With all the interconnects it would be hard to tell where my power is coming from at any point in time.

I addition to Nebraska having a publically owned electrical system, we are the only state that does not have a two house state legislature. Putting up with one batch of politicians is considered more than enough here.

Well, legislation to fix something and actually accomplishing the fixes are not necessarily congruent. I believe they want to fix it. That being said, I also believe that they do not want to be connected to the national grid. It is quite interesting when you look into the national grid system and how it works.
There are 3 grids in the US and Texas is 1 of them.

Calling for more lake effect snow for the Buffalo NY area. Ranging from a few inches to a couple feet. It all depends on the wind direction and the duration that the snow band sits in one place. Most I have seen in 24 hours is 44", that snow band just did not move away!
Pierre

I suspect coal. The local power comes from a mix of contracts with plants using coal, a wind farm, nuclear plants and natural gas peaking. More wind farm proposals have been fought in court, "Not on my backyard!" I only know of one solar array & it's not very big. There had been a bigger one but a hail storm took it out. We just had a storm that started with freezing sleet, then 10" of drifting snow. The wind turbines, I can see from the road are offline, blades are covered with ice. Went by the solar array and it was covered in ice & snow. Neither has a battery storage system. There is a natural gas peaking plant near where I live. Went by it last night and could see condensate coming out of the building, so it was running. -12°F. There haven't been any major power interruptions for at least 20 years. Back then an ice storm took down a major transmission line. At home, last summer, we lost power for a few hours after a tornado dropped some trees on a power line. System is pretty reliable. I've got a gas fireplace @ home that I can operate w/o any electricity. There are two hydroelectric dams in the state connected into the grid. With all the interconnects it would be hard to tell where my power is coming from at any point in time.

I addition to Nebraska having a publically owned electrical system, we are the only state that does not have a two house state legislature. Putting up with one batch of politicians is considered more than enough here.
In Texas we only let the legislature meet once every 2 years which maintains our drama level well enough....

This is from the 12th.

To give a little context Logan pass is where the visitors center is located on the Going To The Sun road in Glacier National Park.

MacDonald pass is close to the state capitol in Helena.

Notice it says minimum wind chill.

It's been warming up.

Screenshot_20240115-184610.png

Back