Just bought an old 1994 -12 X 36 Enco Lathe 110-2075

Vegas Baby :grin:
Hello Matthewsx long time no see, I bet there isn't 5 regular people in Vegas that have a lathe... and none of them are on here...

I totally appreciate this Mike, I will be there Saturday. And I will be coming back to help you. It will take me a little bit to get it back together as I am going to finish the paint job and fix the leaks. Very, Very nice of you, Thank you again!
Hi, the weather says light rain Sat & Sun - No rush, there is no rust on this lathe so keep an eye on the weather.. Another day if needed....

My stuff wont be here till Apr or May so you have time....

Nothing wrong with the design. Just wrong casters.

Last edited:
Hello Matthewsx long time no see, I bet there isn't 5 regular people in Vegas that have a lathe... and none of them are on here...

Hi, the weather says light rain Sat & Sun - No rush, there is no rust on this lathe so keep an eye on the weather.. Another day if needed....

My stuff wont be here till Apr or May so you have time....
Thanks Mike,

We will keep an eye on it for sure, I have already put a tarp in the truck earlier today too.

I was looking at the pics of the broken casters from the very first of this thread (the broken casters that came with the lathe). Did not realize how long this thread was. Seem to be cantilever casters out from center of support square tubing. And seems like these are Harbor Freight 100 lb or 200 lb casters that broke. It’s when you unload, catch the casters on an obstruction, etc. that they bend or snap off. Not the dead load weight. I have crashed a bunch of those casters with a lot less load than that. Not knocking a Harbor Freight. My shop is full of their stuff and I could not get along without them. I just usually use 4 - 200 lb casters for a 300 lb tool.

Gotcha, thought you were talking about the new higher rating casters I used on the stand - thanks for looking... I agree Harbor freight has a place here and there.

I also have a bunch of low end casters rated for high loads. They will hold up the load fine, just don’t roll when loaded.

Hi all...

Found a new home for my old oil leaking lathe, It was picked up today by Mr Knutz and his good friend, Being way more lathe savvy, he helped me ID all of the components in the crates I got with the lathe, I kept all the AXA tooling and bison hardware which we found more of.

I have no doubt he will put this lathe to good use, and I am glad It has a new home. Loading it went off without a hitch and sent it on its way...

12X36 Lathe picked up.jpg

Losing & Giving away another lathe ( 4th so far in 6 years - Hf 7x12, Hf 9x19, Logan 1875 10X24, and an Enco 12x36 ) in my search for a great starter lathe has taught me so much including kicking myself for the loss of cash and wasted time...

My current opinion and advice to all, being quite the Aficionado at failing to land a great starter lathe over the last few years, Is I think... or rather I know what a beginner like me should start with, the short and simple is any brand of 9"X19" lathe that has parts support such as from Grizzly.

This size is what I truly believe to be the best choice of value and usability.... Smaller lathes aren't robust enough, you will either quite the hobby or wish you had a bigger lathe wasting cash, time & effort.

If you go just a tad bigger the machine costs start to sky rocket out of control with features, and when you want out of that machine because you just don't have time, or now you actually know what you want in a lathe, or you decide you want a bigger lathe and now have sell that machine and possibly the expensive tooling that you have been hording, it will be much harder to deal with down the road.

Think of the 9"X19" size lathe as your first bike, your going to learn on it, customize it a little, wash it 3 times the first week and pretty soon you'll be able to say I would like to have a 10 speed or mountain bike, ohhh a carbon fiber mountain bike, all because now you gained some knowledge. you can buy the expensive mountain bike right off the bat if you like, but when you fall off it and break the forks... you get the point.

I firmly believe a 9"X19" is the first step on the ladder, as a bonus once you decide on the lathe you really want, you can more easily sell the 9"x19" or as many do keep it as a secondary lathe.

Some examples and current Price as of 02-26-03

New or in like new condition
1. Shop Fox M1049 9" x 19" - $1800.00
2. Grizzly G4000 9" x 19" - $1600.00

like new but Used
1. JET BDB-919, 9" x 19" - $2000.00 or less in great condition, or don't buy.

Just my opinion for people on there own, with little knowledge how to start and what to start with - its a safe bet and what I should have gotten right off the bat, I guarantee if my first 9"X19" wasn't junk I would still have it now.

Hello Guys,

We made the trip to Vegas and it was very nice meeting "Mr Mike". Very cool guy and quite a generous gentlemen. We had quite the fun time going through the crates that came with this Enco Lathe when "Mr Mike" retrieved it from down by the Beach in California. Mike gave me quite a few Gunsmith tools that were in the crates, And the stuff the lathe came with when it was new etc.

I am looking forward to going back to Mikes place if he should decide to take delivery of his new lathe and do some threading on it. It was interesting to see the Electrolysis tanks that he built and the restoration of his Logan lathe. Thank you very much "Mr Mike" and I hope to be coming back to see you in a couple of months!

Edit to add, He even gave me one of his German "Rielang" Oilers!

Last edited:
I spent over a year looking for a used starter lathe. Lacking experience I was leery of getting something worn out and no parts available. I finally went with a new PM Chinese. Spent more $ than I had wanted to but have been happy with the support from PM. Hard to put a price on support but it has a value.

Back