Just bought an old 1994 -12 X 36 Enco Lathe 110-2075

Mr knutz, your lathe lives on this thread, I'm happy to hand the reins off to you since my history with the lathe is over and yours has just begun..

It's completely up to you. It might be easier for other people including myself to fallow the continuation and restoration of the lathe start to finish in a single thread, that of course is assuming you have time to post about it once in a while...

If you do start a new thread for the lathe please post a link here so everyone knows where to look for it, Thanks Man.

Last edited:
Mr knutz, your lathe lives on this thread, I'm happy to hand the reins off to you since my history with the lathe is over and yours has just begun..

It's completely up to you. It might be easier for other people including myself to fallow the continuation and restoration of the lathe start to finish in a single thread, that of course is assuming you have time to post about it once in a while...

If you do start a new thread for the lathe please post a link here so everyone knows where to look for it, Thanks Man.
Thank you Mr Mike, We got it unloaded off the trailer with no issues at all. I will update the post as I progress. Thanks again!

I have an update to this lathe thread, I was able to get it back together, The toughest part was putting in the DIN Rail as it was very tight in there. I also fixed 7 oil leaks on the headstock. There were 5 O-rings that were no good, The sight glass was leaking and the top cover gasket was leaking, I had no leaks when I ran it for a while after taking care of things. Unfortunately I shorted out 2 terminals when I plugged in the lathe. After straightening things out and replacing 2 blown fuses I had the lathe running in both forward and reverse.

When I went to turn it on again it just hums and acts like its trying to turn in both directions. @markba633csi is helping me sort out the electrical issues.

And finally I ordered a Lathe test bar so I can align the headstock as it was removed. This is the main part that I am nervous about, But I am sure I will get it through trial and error. I am sure I will get the bugs out of the electrical too and learn something in the process.

Big shout out to Mr Mike for handing this project over to me! Very much appreciated!

Also thanks to markba633csi for not just helping me with electrical problems but also for all of the members he has helped! He is an electrical Wizard for sure!

Attachments

• DSCN4321.JPG
    DSCN4321.JPG
    453 KB · Views: 38
  • DSCN4323.JPG
    DSCN4323.JPG
    381.6 KB · Views: 36
  • DSCN4324.JPG
    DSCN4324.JPG
    355.9 KB · Views: 37
  • DSCN4338.JPG
    DSCN4338.JPG
    310.5 KB · Views: 40
Also replaced the plexiglass cover for the crossfeed gear, Mr Mike even included the plexiglass! And I shortened the compound bolts as these were replacements.

I tried to order the O-rings from Grizzly, But they said they could not get them till September, And I'm not sure if they will fit anyway. I found a metric O-ring kit at Harbor Freight and they matched perfectly so I was happy about that.

Attachments

• DSCN4328.JPG
    DSCN4328.JPG
    329 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
I have an update to this lathe thread, I was able to get it back together, The toughest part was putting in the DIN Rail as it was very tight in there. I also fixed 7 oil leaks on the headstock. There were 5 O-rings that were no good, The sight glass was leaking and the top cover gasket was leaking, I had no leaks when I ran it for a while after taking care of things. Unfortunately I shorted out 2 terminals when I plugged in the lathe. After straightening things out and replacing 2 blown fuses I had the lathe running in both forward and reverse.

When I went to turn it on again it just hums and acts like its trying to turn in both directions. @markba633csi is helping me sort out the electrical issues.

And finally I ordered a Lathe test bar so I can align the headstock as it was removed. This is the main part that I am nervous about, But I am sure I will get it through trial and error. I am sure I will get the bugs out of the electrical too and learn something in the process.

Big shout out to Mr Mike for handing this project over to me! Very much appreciated!

Also thanks to markba633csi for not just helping me with electrical problems but also for all of the members he has helped! He is an electrical Wizard for sure!
Very nice sir... Thrilled to death your getting her back together...! And wasting no time doing it.
I cant wait to see pictures of it back in serviceable condition, Keep up the good work.

Mike.

Ok another update,

After I got this lathe together I had it running even after the short circuit I had. But when I went to start it the second time I get only a hum . So @markba633csi walked me through troubleshooting the problem and we narrowed it down to a broken start winding or a broken or stuck centrifugal switch, The switch makes the most sense to me as the motor was running and then it would not.

According to Mr Mike, The original owner of this lathe lived by the ocean and then he passed away, No telling how long it sat in salty air until Mr Mike retrieved it. Anyway I am going to take the motor to the local motor repair shop here and see what they can do for me as this motor has an odd shaft size so I would like to get it going again rather than having to adapt a new motor.

@markba633csi had a methodical path to finding the problem.

Here is the thread of troubleshooting the problem.

Update,
Well this project has almost come full circle! I had talked to Mr Mike on the phone yesterday and we were talking about the centrifugal switch and he said it should be behind the rear cover, So I pulled off the rear cover and there it was, I carefully removed it and after cleaning the contacts with emery cloth and removing all of the oil off of them and taking it apart and putting it back together 3 times to get it right (Stuff flew everywhere a few times), I put it back on the motor and I also went to that electric motor shop and got a new capacitor and installed it. This thing fires up with such vigor now that it wants to jump off the plate I had it sitting on!
I think the main problem was the oil that was on the contacts, This lathe had a leak at the back of the headstock and was dripping onto the motor and I remember one of Mr Mikes pics showed oil in the bottom of the rear cover, So The oil leak is also fixed now.
So I am very exited about this, The motor shop told me they would test it for free but they would not be able to repair it for quite a while as they are swamped right now anyway. So I went ahead and tackled this, Glad I did it runs great now!
Thank you to everyone who helped me out!

Attachments

• 20230313_152326.jpg
    20230313_152326.jpg
    159.1 KB · Views: 12
  • 20230313_152328.jpg
    20230313_152328.jpg
    191.4 KB · Views: 11
  • 20230313_152328.jpg
    20230313_152328.jpg
    191.4 KB · Views: 11
  • 20230313_152337.jpg
    20230313_152337.jpg
    169.5 KB · Views: 12
The bearings in the motor still make a little noise, But I'm going to go ahead and try using it a bit until I figure out what to do about that.

Back