Just bought an old 1994 -12 X 36 Enco Lathe 110-2075

I carefully removed it and after cleaning the contacts with emery cloth
It is best not to use emery or any kind of abrasive paper to clean contacts. The theory is that if abrasive grit is shed and becomes imbedded in the contact surface it will hold the contacts apart slightly resulting in arching and the eventual failure of the contact. Just in case that theory is true it is best to use a point file, small, cheap and available at auto supply stores. If the bearings are making noises it is probably best to replace them before they fail and ruin the motor. You will need a bearing puller & separator. You can make a puller with some all thread on the cheap. It's an easy process. Take the old bearings with you to an industrial bearing distributor to get a match. There is a Motion Industries outlet 2 blocks from my shop. If they don't have a bearing in stock they can usually have it the next day. Bearings are cheap compared to motors!

I'm late (2-1/2 years late) to the party, but I caught up this evening.

Kudos to @Mr Mike for all his good work on the lathe. Too bad it didn't quite work out for you.
Also, I appreciate the very clear, clean work you did documenting your process in this thread.

@Harry Knutz , what a lucky guy you are.
Nice job getting those O-rings replaced.
I'm subscribed now, so will be pleased to follow your progress toward completion.

It is best not to use emery or any kind of abrasive paper to clean contacts. The theory is that if abrasive grit is shed and becomes imbedded in the contact surface it will hold the contacts apart slightly resulting in arching and the eventual failure of the contact. Just in case that theory is true it is best to use a point file, small, cheap and available at auto supply stores. If the bearings are making noises it is probably best to replace them before they fail and ruin the motor. You will need a bearing puller & separator. You can make a puller with some all thread on the cheap. It's an easy process. Take the old bearings with you to an industrial bearing distributor to get a match. There is a Motion Industries outlet 2 blocks from my shop. If they don't have a bearing in stock they can usually have it the next day. Bearings are cheap compared to motors!
I'm late (2-1/2 years late) to the party, but I caught up this evening.

Kudos to @Mr Mike for all his good work on the lathe. Too bad it didn't quite work out for you.
Also, I appreciate the very clear, clean work you did documenting your process in this thread.

@Harry Knutz , what a lucky guy you are.
Nice job getting those O-rings replaced.
I'm subscribed now, so will be pleased to follow your progress toward completion.
Thank you guys!

I will take care of the bearing problem soon, Just want to make sure I can get accuracy out of this lathe first, But I have to do the head alignment next.

Well, I have the motor running good right now, But I was able to find the exact replacement switch even though this motor is 30 years old, So I ordered one just to have in case it goes out again.

LOL
I think there is an old axiom that predicts having a spare on the shelf guarantees the original will never fail.
Either way, you're golden.

Another update:

While letting the lathe warm up and run for a bit It started to show another pretty serious oil leak that I didn't notice before, It is leaking from the shaft for the drive gear for the Change gears. Its the top small gear out of the 3 gears. So I have located a new seal for it and ordered it. This should be all that is left except for the alignment.

It is a metric dual lip seal 20mmx45mmx10mm here is the part just in case anyone with this lathe or a Grizzly G4003 needs this seal.

Another update:

While letting the lathe warm up and run for a bit It started to show another pretty serious oil leak that I didn't notice before, It is leaking from the shaft for the drive gear for the Change gears. Its the top small gear out of the 3 gears. So I have located a new seal for it and ordered it. This should be all that is left except for the alignment.

It is a metric dual lip seal 20mmx45mmx10mm here is the part just in case anyone with this lathe or a Grizzly G4003 needs this seal.

No more oil leaks, Have my fingers crossed for ya...

Thanks Mike, I am working on getting it aligned now.

Make sure you check the oil level in the apron too, looked like it may have leaked ever so slightly over time, I noticed oil on the chip pan under it after sitting a year... Just in-case check...

Back