Last time, I promise: PM-1228 or PM-1236??

Hell…a machine level and a wrench, som wd40 and rags will keep you busy for a long time ;)

I have the Eagle Rock scissors knurling tool.

and I only have US$5.00 in my pocket :grin big::grin big:. I have that Eagle Rock Tech No K1-44 on my wish list... maybe in a few years I will get one. Will keep my eyes open on the used market as well...

I will play with one of the cheap ones first... had to order one... the one I ordered was only 40.00... I know it is silly on my part, but I really want to make some knobs with knurling on them :)

My mill is still in the US, and the amount of stuff I bought for it over the last two months, is insane! :)

My mill is still in the US, and the amount of stuff I bought for it over the last two months, is insane! :)
Side note, man I miss my trips to Trinidad... the people and the food... And barely remember a few times a business trip took me there a few days before carnival, hahahaha

I have a makita hammer drill and ruined the keyless chuck knurling drilling in a concrete recess when it was up against the concrete. took the knurling right off. chuck was basically useless until I put it on my lathe and re-did the knurling. better than before now.

and I only have US$5.00 in my pocket :grin big::grin big:. I have that Eagle Rock Tech No K1-44 on my wish list... maybe in a few years I will get one. Will keep my eyes open on the used market as well...

I will play with one of the cheap ones first... had to order one... the one I ordered was only 40.00... I know it is silly on my part, but I really want to make some knobs with knurling on them :)

I’m building the knurling tool on Tom’s Techniques, I don’t like the bump style I have, but it did get me through a few projects.

I think AXA and BXA are both fine for the machine, but BXA will give you greater flexibility when it comes to tool sizes and indexable tooling inserts. This is what I have read only, and have 0 experience.

I don't think it is a huge deal either way. I'd go BXA personally but WTH do I know?
I am using an AXA because I already had it from my previous lathe, but I probably would have gone with a BXA for the flexibility if I had to purchase from scratch.

I have both an AXA and BXA, tonight I mounted the BXA and it worked great.

full

It's not a PM but it is 12 x 36

John

Also need to remember the actual swing of a lathe is rarely exactly the same as the nominal swing.. It is not all uncommon to see the actual swing as much as 3/4" over or under size. I have a 10" lathe that in reality has an 11-1/8" swing.

I don't know the actual measurements of the PM lathes but if the actual swing of the 1228 was say 11-3/4" and the 1236 was actually 12-1/8" that could easily account for their recommending different sizes of QCTP for 2 different 12" lathes.

So giving up variable speed is not a big deal?

Back