Making bushing & pins for a JD Dozer

Hi Joe!
Glad to see your are busy! some good ideas, I'll need to do something like that on the 883 bobcat we have.
send me an email sometime oldgoaly on gmail. lost my address with the computer hacks at the repair place.
Take care! tt

Hi TT:
Nice to hear from you. This project is almost as much fun as shrinking sheetmetal on a pullmax. Get on that 883 bobcat and post some pictures. I need all the help I can get.
Joe

You guys are going to laugh at this one. Some of you may just go into spasms. Early in my career I spent 10 years as a heavy equipment welder/repair guy for a utility contractor. We had our share of line boring done. That's my first learning of this whole machining thing. We did so many six way blade repairs. You always had to build up and regrind the back of the blade a good long straight edge is good here. Then you build up the tilt frame that rides on the blade. Build it up extra and use extra shims. It gives you extras to pull out as it wears out again. If I recall most of the bores had no bushings because the pins were fixed.
The most common bore fix that we did, and I know this would be better for the welding forums, was to build the hole back up to size and grind them back to fit. This took some doing to get right. You weld it up then take a sacrificial pin and smack the hell out of it into the bore. Then you beat it back out and smooth with a torch and or die grind the hi stuff. Kind of like scraping machine ways. Except no Prushn blueing. I know that this sounds barbaric and crude but we could make a machine tighter than they came from the factory (which isint hard to do. Most machines are so loose brand new thats is just stupid) as a note we bought all of our pins and bushings from the machine manufacturers. We just found that on the single little 6" long pins we could do it with out taking it all apart and not have to setup the boring bars. Which couldent be used on the ones that the machine was in the way of the other side. On things like loader buckets it was always done with the boring bars. And stacking links and boring them on the vertical mill was done a lot. It made the centers dead on even every time.

Master of unfinished projects

Hi Psychodelicdan:
Thanks for your interesting insight. These machines really take a pounding and when maintance isn't done when things loosen up it turns into a real mess.
Joe

That's for sure. And you have to run most of the joints dry. There just too far in the dirt.

Master of unfinished projects

Hi All:
I see things have really changed here for the best since I last posted. Very nice upgrade! I dug up my pins and bushing thread that I started October 14 2013, wow the time sure flies. This project is still under way, but I took a year off to get my 32 Ford Cabriolet rebuilt to get it back on the road. I have the crawler back together and running and am now ready to start on the blade C frame. So starting from zero machining experience in 2013 and thanks to you fine folks here at Hobby Machinist I have a crawler in very good shape. A few pictures of the progress. Thank All !!!

32_Cabriolet.jpg 5-17-07_002.jpg IMG_1631.jpg Picture_043.jpg Picture%20045.jpg IMG_1599.JPG IMG_1601.JPG IMG_1612.jpg IMG_1613.jpg IMG_1614.jpg

Back