Monarch 612-2516 lathe

Even if you end up buying a new tool post and chuck, still pretty reasonable for a machine of that size and quality. I was watching a video yesterday about a used machine tool company that had a huge collection of chucks and everything else under the sun for larger machines. Will grab the info when I get back up to the house, and PM it to you. Mike

Even if you end up buying a new tool post and chuck, still pretty reasonable for a machine of that size and quality. I was watching a video yesterday about a used machine tool company that had a huge collection of chucks and everything else under the sun for larger machines. Will grab the info when I get back up to the house, and PM it to you. Mike
I can certainly get away with using the 4-way post that is on there for a while, and first accumulate some 1.25" shank insert holders, and boring bars. The 4 jaw is a more pressing need. I'm hoping to make a road trip to HGR in the Cleveland area before long although I keep running into challenges with making that trip, 6-7 hours so probably an overnight for me. I'd appreciate any other possible sources.

Yes, it was a good price for a big machine. Plenty of time so far into getting it running so there is some value to that. I'm eager to take some cuts with it, but hard to do that without a apron, lol. And I'd prefer to do it right the first time, at least to the best of my ability.

Last edited:
Here is that contact info, D&D machine tool parts two81three51nine983. Good hunting, Mike

I have talked with this auction house several times. They are located I believe not too far from you and I think they have multiple locations.
They have equipment other than in their auctions and also do searches for people.

I have talked with this auction house several times. They are located I believe not too far from you and I think they have multiple locations.
They have equipment other than in their auctions and also do searches for people.

@FOMOGO, @Papa Charlie,
I really appreciate all the suggestions. But the Minneapolis area is about 10 hours driving, a bit too far for me for most acquisitions. HGR in Cleveland Ohio is about 7 hours, which is pushing how far I'm willing to drive (i.e., one night in a hotel) in a day unless my wife accompanies me. Which is not really interesting for her for machine tools, although I did drag her and a friend along on the last trip to Milwaukee for the Thompson surface grinder. I was also just in Atlanta last weekend with wife and a friend to clean out the last of my office stuff after retiring three years ago, which shot last weekend. Picking up hay this weekend, brother and niece coming end of the month. How does retirement looks so busy?!

St. Louis, Nashville, Indianapolis, and Louisville are all reasonable, i.e., about 4 hours. There are a couple of dealers in Louisville that I will probably search when the time comes. Shipping is obviously an option, but that means buying sight unseen.

I haven't completely ruled out new either. Depends on how I feel about the machine once I get everything else squared away. Big one standing between now and then is plans to build a new shop this fall, finances permitting (or should I say lumber prices!). 40x56. I need at least another two loads of crusher run to level the base, which will happen in the next few weeks. Lumber prices have come down a bit on the sawmill side, but the price hasn't trickled down to the lumber yard yet. I'm not expecting it to come down as low as it was a couple years ago, but as you might guess the prices shot up a lot faster than they go down as the supply/demand currently favors the lumber yards for now.

Some of these outlets will ship. It may be another option, although I would understand if you want to see and touch it before you drop cash. I feel the same way.

I took a chance on a used 12” D1-6 faceplate recently off ebay. Fedex LTL claimed it was damaged in shipping due to bad packaging and undeliverable. Seller refunded all funds, but still a waste of my time.

Given the hazards of a hidden crack in a large chuck, I’m leaning toward a new bison or tmx. I’ll keep my eye out for the toolpost used. But as I mentioned above, long term given a new shop is ahead of all this in the queue.

Rabler have you check out Lost Creek Machine he has a good selection of things on his website and prices are reasonable I’ve purchased parts and tools and have never been disappointed and what’s on the website is a fraction of what is really there you just have to call them and talk they always been helpful . They did have a DA size tool post for sale a while back and it went for $500 I think with some holders there inventory is always changing

Rabler have you check out Lost Creek Machine he has a good selection of things on his website and prices are reasonable I’ve purchased parts and tools and have never been disappointed and what’s on the website is a fraction of what is really there you just have to call them and talk they always been helpful . They did have a DA size tool post for sale a while back and it went for $500 I think with some holders there inventory is always changing
From their website, that place looks dangerous. I like it, and at 4 1/2 hours, that is not out of the question for a round trip in a day.

As someone on another forum pointed out, I can use a CA post with a spacer under it. Why didn’t I think of that? I’m not intent on winning any heavy metal hogging competition so a CA post will save me some money, especially as I try to accumulate toolholders, etc.

Back